Tyre pressures - manual and FAQ don't match!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

alphabetter
Bongolier

Tyre pressures - manual and FAQ don't match!

Post by alphabetter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:17 pm

Several requests for tyre pressure info here have pointed to the FAQ which says:

Front: 32 psi = 2.2 bar
Back: 34 psi = 2.34 bar

but page 202 of the translated user manual says:

Front: 1.8 bar (2WD) or 2.0 bar (4WD)
Back: 2.4 bar

I guess the back is within the approximation for imperial to metric conversion. However the front pressures don't really match the FAQ at all.

Who should I believe? Does the FAQ need an update?
Last edited by alphabetter on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Well spotted that man!
I have 205/65x15 all round and found that the front pressures from both sources were too low - I use 34psi all round. I think the recommended pressures are only a guide and different tyres react in different ways.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:44 pm

The pressures given in the manual are for Japanese spec tyres, the pressures in the FAQ are for UK spec tyres.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
alphabetter
Bongolier

Post by alphabetter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:46 am

Ian wrote:The pressures given in the manual are for Japanese spec tyres, the pressures in the FAQ are for UK spec tyres.
Interesting. I would like to know more there, because this is rather confusing.

What is the difference between Japanese and UK tyres? How did you find the UK figures?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:58 pm

This is from an earlier post by bigdaddycain:

The recommended tyre pressures stated by mazda will be on the original tyres that they left the factory with,seeing as they left the factory in japan, on japanese tyres that are non compliant with EU rulings, i would suggest that the recommended pressures should only be used as a guide at best. My aftermarket alloys that i had previously on my bongo was fitted with maxxis tyres, a budget brand i think, they looked under inflated at 32 front 34 rear, and ran hotter than i would have liked. I upped the pressures to counteract this, and it seemed to work. There was no ill side effects, and she drove better on the higher pressures,with no loss of grip. with regards to my current wheels, 18" rx8's shod with 245/45/18 tyres, i consulted the manager of the tyre fitting outlet who recommended 38 - 40 psi considering the weight of the bongo. She drives well,smooth, with plenty of grip,and i feel is perfectly safe.

The 32/34 recommendations were given to me by Nick Fox at AVA Leisure when I bought my first Freda in Feb 03.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
alphabetter
Bongolier

Post by alphabetter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:52 pm

Ian wrote: My aftermarket alloys that i had previously on my bongo was fitted with maxxis tyres, a budget brand i think, they looked under inflated at 32 front 34 rear, and ran hotter than i would have liked.

The 32/34 recommendations were given to me by Nick Fox at AVA Leisure when I bought my first Freda in Feb 03.
Yes I think the fronts look under inflated at the Mazda pressures as well - hence my question. I guess if everybody else is using 32/34 then I might as well just join the crowd!

Return to “Techie Stuff”