Space Saver Spare

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:18 am

Hi johnzbenson
Just had to use my spacesaver spare - it went flat overnight and came away from the rim. Tyre had never been used but the valve had rotted. My mate put a new valve in and also found it was leaking, around the rim, due to corrosion. The joys of 12 year old spares!!!!
Mazda 6 and RX8 wheels fit, as do some Ford Probe wheels. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any in my local scrapyards - hence my above query about Kia Sedona wheels. My mate, who is a foreman at a car dealership workshop, reckons that they probably will fit because Kia used a lot of Mazda parts in the past.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Peeps,
Update:-
Collected and installed My full size spare yesterday while I was there ensured that the winding mechanism was well oiled.So I am well pleased thanks to Mark at Manchester Campers for the supply of the wheel.
I also discovered another potential wheel problem.
My alloys have a centre cap covering the nuts which is allen keyed on.I thought I would make sure that the wheelbrace that is in the Bongo toolkit was up to the job.On trying it it would not fit the nuts because it was fouling on the alloy wheel.Luckily I have a socket set which includes one that fits so I will carry that now as part of the kit.
Its all fun and games with a Bongo isnt it,solve one thing then discover another.
So in just the same way that it is a good idea to check the spacesaver its just as important to ensure that the brace fits the wheels also or you can still end up with problems if you have a puncture.

Cheers Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:07 pm

The wheel brace fits OK with my alloys. It's just that when I had a puncture, I found out King Kong had tightened the nuts!!!
Luckily I was at home so was able to put a long steel pipe over the brace to increase the leverage. I have now loosened all wheels and re-tightened them by human hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Yep Franco
Also a good idea :idea: I think the same gorilla had put My alloys on too :lol:
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 am

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... highlight=

Hi Peeps,

Please see link above Mark at Manchester Campers has a glut of steel wheels available for use instead of the dreaded spacesaver.
Give Him a call and get along there quick to secure Your full size spare.

Cheers Dabs
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:10 am

Friends in Cheshire picked up my full size spare wheel for me today at Manchester Campers. They are bringing it up to the Borders at the weekend.
When chatting to a friend of theirs they told him that the wheels on my Bongo were alloys but the new spare was steel. The friend informed them that if used the steel spare wheel should be on the front wheels or the handling would be affected.
Can anyone tell a greenhorn like me if this information is correct or if it is just another Old Wives Tale.
tigs
Tribal Elder

Post by tigs » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:38 am

Simon Jones wrote:I've got a tow bar too & yes it is snug, but it fits fine

I lost meself in this thread, :oops: :oops: is the snug fit with the spacesaver or a full size one please? I've got a towbar and a friend informs me i've a spacesaver, but i'd like to change to a big n if it will fit ok. . . . . . . . . :roll: Well i know what i mean
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:58 am

A full size spare will fit OK.
John
tigs
Tribal Elder

Post by tigs » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:02 am

Cheers Franco :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”