Mothballing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

george and martine

Mothballing

Post by george and martine » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:12 pm

I will be working out of the country for three month and there is no one to start up, move or otherwise look after my Bongo. :cry:

It will be kept off road but in the open. A) Will this be a problem and B) is there anything I should do before I go or when I come back?
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Rent it out to New Age Travellers ?

No seriously, 3 months isn't that long. I would probably remove the battery, as a security measure more than anything. It will mean resetting the radio/clock on your return though. I would also service it soon after your return as well.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Putting a few extra pounds pressure in the tyres is not a bad idea.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:34 pm

It wont be the first time in its life - dont forget most bongos in the UK spent a month or so dockside in Japan, then got dragged / driven onto a boat where they spent another month or so, and then possibly a few months on a dealers forecourt before being reintroduced to daily use again. Just be careful to srub the brakes a bit in your first few hundred yards when you get back in.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:53 pm

It might just be fine left alone until you get back, last summer my mother in law died and left her car, a K reg Nissan Micra with 6000 miles on the clock to my wife. Now it had been standing in the garage in Dorset for 6 years, I stuck a gallon of petrol in primed the fuel pump, put a new battery on it and laughingly turned the key, the little bugger fired up and ran sweet as a nut, rocking back and fore freed off the sticky brakes and a quick service later she was driven (legally) home to Wales, so.. hopefully 3 month should be a doddle, your bongo may have been left longer than that awaiting sale anyway. But you could chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off if you feel it safe to do so. Good luck and happy motoring.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 am

Ours has hardly been used since last October (it's a dedicated camper, and I have been off work recuperating from a hip-op and couldn't drive for a while)

Just parked it and left it. Got in and started it again at the end. No sweat, no drama.
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 am

Blimey, Trev, didn't know you were into all that youngster type dancing.

recuperating from a hip-op

Ah, I thought that was Hip-Hop!!!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:06 am

Jeebus........we've missed that tangential kind of humour.................there again, maybe not... :shock:

Welcome back - you've got a lot of folks to tighten up about the search facility Pippin - and the standard of spelling has been shocking quite frankly.......... :lol:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690

Return to “Techie Stuff”