[HELP]GLOW Plugs Installation

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

shaneosborne

[HELP]GLOW Plugs Installation

Post by shaneosborne » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 pm

After reveiwing the guide in the members area, I got a little confused. Where it says remove the bracket with the gizmos on. Is that where I have highlighted in the pic?

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Not done that job shaneosborne but if the answer comes back 'Yes' to your question, make sure that excellent pic gets picked up by Ozric for the Bongoogle dbase because - like you - I find a picture and a 'Yes' is worth a thousand written instructions that seem so simple to the author :lol:
cezeta

Post by cezeta » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:13 pm

yes....if you struggle to get to them then you can remove the two brackets above to make more room to get to the bolts.

it would be worth while slotting the bracket holes to make it easy next time to get the bracket off. just one turn then its off rather than dropping the bolt down the side of the manifold if you are not carefull :oops:
shaneosborne

Post by shaneosborne » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Firstly, I would like to thank Bongo Fury and everyone who helped.
Completed the replacement glow plugs today and she started first time. :)

All I need to do now is replace the back box on the exhaust, it's a pain to get the old one off. So, I might try some WD40 on it tomorrow and see if I can ease it off.

Thanks again all.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Good man. Great feeling isnt it when you do something like that and - to your amazement and great pleasure - it effing well works. Kind of helps you to Bond with your Bongo 8)

I really think the way to look at Bongo ownership is like pet ownership. I mean if your pet gives you trouble, you expect it. you scowl at them, and then you pay the vets bill And they give you back pleasure and companionship :lol: Oh yes, and you cant use a pet to commute to work or camp in (well I dont think so but...)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 am

Glad its sorted shaneosborne, With regards to the back box,check to see if the flange is slightly longer than where the old backbox meets the rest of the exhaust... If so, just cut the backbox off. Make sure of your measurements first though mate....

And mike, i couldn't agree more, in fact, my bongo has taken to crapp1ng in the back garden of late. When i tell her off she rolls over onto her roof so i can tickle her autobox :lol:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
shaneosborne

Post by shaneosborne » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Decided to take the baby to the garage, I just couldn't get the old Backbox off, found out why... It was spot welded at the bolts. Also had a leak of gearbox fluid, jubilee clip needed tightening. Just wish I saved myself time by paying £25.00 in the first instance.

All sorted now, for £25 I cant complain really.

Anyone know where I can check the gearbox fluid on an autobox as its been leaking for a while and I thought it was the sump?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:31 pm

Dipstick is under the driver's seat - you'll see it when you've raised the seat.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
ebygum32

Post by ebygum32 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 pm

and thats where you fill it up down the dipstick tube, when i stripped mine down to change the fluid and clean the filter its a long and mind numbing job refilling it but atleast i know its done right
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Crikey ebygum32 - you stripped an auto gearbox? That sounds like some serious DIY. Cant do that in the drive I'll bet :shock:
ebygum32

Post by ebygum32 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:52 pm

nah mike, didn't strip the autobox down just went underneath took the engine cover off so i could get to the gearbox plate, removed all the bolts from the plate gear oil comes out took the mesh filter off cleaned it up and replaced it then bolted all back up again, then filled her back up with oil thats the hard part i was on about think i used a 50ml syringe to top it up

changing the diff oil is even easier mike, crack the bolt off under the rear axel let it drain out then replace the bolt and theres another bolt half way up 22mm i think crack that and fill up till it's level with the bolt hole and put the bolt back in job done p.s the oils ep90
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Excellent ebygum - I'll that that to my Masochists List of Things I Must do with Mango Bongo :?

Return to “Techie Stuff”