Towing a Caravan with a Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

AndrewJ

Towing a Caravan with a Bongo

Post by AndrewJ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 pm

I have read the fact sheet on Spring Assisters. I use my Bongo for towing a caravan. It has never bottomed out but pitches strongly on the badly maintained roads in this part of the UK - especially when I am pushing along! Are there any other members who tow with a Bongo? Do they use spring assisters? If so why? If not why not?
All advice will be gratefully received.
AndrewJ
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:58 pm

I use them Andrew, cos I carry a trail bike on a rack across the back.
The only time I feel them work is when going over speed bumps.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
david moore

towing

Post by david moore » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi Andrew,
I tow a 2 berth caravan with our Bongo with no spring assisters but with a stabaliser.The only prob.I have is to keep looking to see if the caravan is still folowing me.Bongo's are brill.for towing.The first time I picked it up and drove down the M3 I had a tyre blow out on offside of caravan,the Bongo kept dead straight until I pulled over to hard shoulder.
The roads in Dorset can be a bit lumpy but it seems to cope fine.
Regards Dave.
timhum

Post by timhum » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi Andrew,
I have spring assisters fitted. The Bongo is loaded up with my "tools of trade" in the back which makes it back heavy even before I tow the caravan. In theory the caravan adds about 85Kgs to the back end of the Bongo so spring assisters are a must!
I have to say that I haven't noticed the Bongo lurching around much either before or after the spring assisters were fitted, although the suspension is a somewhat on the soft side. Sort of depends what you are used to I guess.
I fitted the spring assisters because there are loads of speed humps where I drive and the back wheels were always bottoming.
I think that your issue is more to do with suspension/shock absorber issues but I am no expert.
Stiffer springs were sourced by a fellow bongolier some time back and a search might throw up the supplier. I am told by my mechanic that different shockers would have to be paired up with them to balance the new arrangment so I did not get any further being a stingy bloke and also shockers seem to be hard to source for the Bongo, and fancy ones seem to be a bit of a black art.
There was a mention of an add on air suspension arrangement (balloon inside the springs) recntly, you might be interested in searching for that also.
Hope this helps,
Tim

Return to “Techie Stuff”