Drop Link Clunk

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Crazy Legs Crane

Drop Link Clunk

Post by Crazy Legs Crane » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm

I get a clunk at the front when going over the annoying speed bumps in my road too fast. After trawling the forums it looks like the drop links need replacing. I got underneath and had a look but they seem ok. I can't physically move/wobble them and the rubber does not appear perished. Does anyone know how to diagnose this?
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:44 pm

I haven,t had to do mine yet, but i think the bongo needs to be off the ground to feel for any play...Prob is the droplinks though, or the anti roll bar bushes... P.S welcome to the site :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:58 pm

Welcome Crazy Legs - cant call you Crazy as we already have Crazy Uncle G and t'would cause confusion.

I did my REAR droplinks and stabiliser bar bracket rubbers a couple of weeks back - well worth it. It was easy to tell they needed doing as you could feel the movement when the vehicle was standing on the ground. I'd have thought same would apply with front droplinks but I'm a beginner at these things so wait and see what BF experts say.

Mike
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 pm

I thought the clunk was my drop links but it turned out to be the a/roll bar bushes.
If the drop link looks to be in the centre of the bush then they're probably ok.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
mobyfix

Post by mobyfix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:06 pm

I would look at the anti-roll bar bushes however you may as well do both repairs in one go for piece of mind. I could hear a nasty clunk that could be heard if either wheel went over a bump... put it on a ramp and could see nothing and then strangly it stopped for a few days.... In the end i bought both the droplinks and the mazda bushes and even added a bit of insolating tape for good luck and a tighter fit... result = no more clunk. For £35 parts ( did the repair myself at a friends garage ) it was a cheap repair to do both at the same time.... :D
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Cheap parts moby - where did you get them?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690

Return to “Techie Stuff”