Probably really obvious questions to everyone but me but...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Faff

Probably really obvious questions to everyone but me but...

Post by Faff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 am

Hi, Just collected my Bongo today and all OK apart from missing the cover to the little cubby hole that holds the jack. (The one built into the step by the sliding door). Also could do with the decals removing / replacing at some point in the future but no desperate rush.

A few questions I'd be grateful for answers to as my instruction book hasn't turned up yet.

1. Is there anywhere that sells the decals and any idea how much? (Mine's a white N reg bongo with the purple decals).

2. What are all the S and L options for on the auto box? Understand R, D , etc but these 2 are new to me. What does the lower button do on the gear shift lever?

3. It's an import purchased from a dealer who provided me with no documentation apart from the usual DVLA log book section, UK MOT and service document (as I paid to have a new cam belt fitted and an oil change). He said that everything was sent to the DVLA but shouldn't there have been some other paperwork from the auction house in Japan, importing company, etc?

4. Came with only one key. Is this usual for Japanese imports?

5. There's a switch bottom right on the dashboard which looks like it has the outline of an engine on it - any idea what it does?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers, Chris.
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:22 am

All these questions have been asked/answered before on the forum, quite extensively.

I am falling asleep at the keyboard so it's no use my trying to give you answers or links to previous posts tonight!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 am

The switch on the lower right hand side of the dash is for extra power to start on a really cold morning.. Its really only an extreme cold start option for japan, hardly likely to be needed in britain. I think it calls upon cranking power from both batteries, and gives longer glowplug duration...

Welcome to the site, and happy bongoing! :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 am

Faff wrote:
What does the lower button do on the gear shift lever?
If you press that button, you should see the word 'HOLD' appear lit up on the dash board. That tells you the gearbox is in hold mode. Its useful for e.g. getting the Bongo to drop a gear and hold in it for engine braking down a hill, as well as stopping it from 'hunting' between 2 gears when e.g. going up a hill. ONE WORD OF CAUTION. Watch out for accidentally pressing at speed. The sound of a Bongo engine over-revving casue you dropped it down a gear when travelling at 70+mph is not pleasant (and probably not good for it!). It is very easy to use the gearstick as a handrest and absentmindly press the button. Get used to using it under controlled conditions, so you get to know it and what it does. AND DONT FORGET TO RELEASE 'HOLD' WHEN DONE. It can be easy to forget and go along fo a while, burning fuel unnecessarily whilst tuck in 3rd (or not top anyway!) gear.

Mike 8)

PS - If the HOLD light should ever start flashing, it is advising of a gearbox problem. The flashing sequence relfects the Error Code. Plenty of chat on BF about that. Hope you dont need it!
Faff

Post by Faff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:13 am

That's really great - thanks everyone for your help. Sounds like 99% of the time I can just put it into D and forget about the lower gear options.

I know most of this info is probably out there in the forum somewhere but the search facility isn't great at finding things sometimes (could be just me and computers of course). Maybe it would be useful to have a newbie factsheet covering the questions new Bongo owners have.

Thanks again, Cheers, Chris.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:12 am

BF Member Ozric is doing a fantastic job at building a database to solve the problem, but doesnt have time to do as much as he'd like (work, kids etc. like the rest of us). But check out and bookmark the dbase (bongoogle.co.uk) as he is pulling stuff into it all the time. Meanwhile, we all struggle with the BF Search facility and there are a lot of repeat questions as a result. Dont worry though, we all have the same problem, someone will always steer you right somehow 8)
Faff

Post by Faff » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Yes, it's a great website and the videos are really useful - so much easier seeing something done than trying to go from a list of instructions.

Cheers, Chris.

Return to “Techie Stuff”