Wot'S all this Abart then???

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

haydn callow
Supreme Being

Wot'S all this Abart then???

Post by haydn callow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:51 pm

Item number: 160094658960 on flebay. Anyone know what this is all about? Sounds tooooo gooood tooooo beeeee true, so I expect it is.
Not that MY BONGO gives off BLACK SMOKE.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 pm

Dunno what it is, but none of the feedback says the smoke has stopped!!
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
asallen
Bongonaut

Post by asallen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 pm

According to one buyers feedback, it's a ball bearing!
Where it fit's I dont know.
According to another it makes no difference to smoke or peformance.
To be fair there do(does?) seem to be a lot of satisfied customers.
I solved the black smoke problem by removing all rear view mirrors.
I know where i've been! :shock:
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:06 pm

It's (a ball bearing?) to block off the EGR. Bit like using a 2p piece but dearer!
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Hmmm - I'd like to see how a ball bearing blocking the EGR pipe could be "fitted in seconds" - mind you, he doesn't say how many seconds :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:57 pm

Did it on a Pajero a few years ago - pop pipe off, insert ball bearing into pipe(to big to go into metal pipe) and push back rubber pipe. It is just a few seconds - well maybe a minute or 2.
It also did get rid of a bit of the black smoke.
Nothing special really, but just the right size bearing and a handy sheet of instructions with a photo.
I expect the originator of this idea has been ripped off dozens of times by the ebay sl@gs.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi madmile
I used a 2p coin to block mine and that really didn't take long. Can't say if there is less smoke because I never bothered to look what it was like before I fitted it.
John
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Francophile - did you blank off the EGR valve for fun then? I cant say I have found it neccessary on a bongo, but almost felt like 007 in the pajero. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm

I was really interested to read Allans excellent expert discussion of EGR on his website. From reading it, there is still the nagging possibility that it may reduce engine life - anyone able to quash that one with confidence?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi madmile
Not just for fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did it because of this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... php?t=9598 .
It's stopped the black soot and does seem to make the engine pull better at low revs, but, that may be because it is no longer leaking. I was amazed to see all the crud that was in the inlet manifold, which shouldn't build up any more.
John
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 am

I was really interested to read Allans excellent expert discussion of EGR on his website. From reading it, there is still the nagging possibility that it may reduce engine life - anyone able to quash that one with confidence?
Well I guess time will tell but consider this: the EGR on a diesel engine is there to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions nothing else. The engine is designed first and the EGR added as a bolt on not an enhancement. By removing it all you are doing is preventing dirty exhaust gases being recycled into the intake along with soot particles, oil particulates and the resulting crud build up in the inlet manifold. It's a bit like smoking and the effect on the lungs really ........

Return to “Techie Stuff”