!!Rusty Front End!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Glynanderson

Post by Glynanderson » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks for the comments so far.
I'm not sure what Bigdaddycain means by the sross member. I f you mean the external piece of bodywork just above the bumper, about 2 inches hign then, no, I didn't spray that. The finish isn't good enough for external paintwork.
Off to Germany for 2 weeks on Friday, so I'll see what it looks like after many kilometres on the Autobahn.
I'll definitely fit some of that grill when I get a chance, not only does it look good, but will certainly protect the soft bits from stonechip damage.
Still interested to see how many other Bongos are suffering.
Somebody mentioned that under their back bumper was similar.
I've checked mine and it seems to be OK, except for a small area around the hole for releasing the spare wheel!
Will have a go at Hammeriting that too!
Cheers again!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:31 am

Yes glyn, i did mean that part of the bodywork,I wasn't sure what to refer to it as... I suspect my bongo has had some paintwork at the front at some stage,Because that panel seems vulnerable to stone chip damage,whereas mine has none,and its the same story with the areas you have painted,its a bit too clean.... :?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Glynanderson

Post by Glynanderson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:07 am

Yes, I see what you mean, it is very clen. I can't imagine that they gave that part an extra special coat of paint.
My grille could do with a respray too as the paint has worn off in places there.

I've just discovered some light rusting along the seams under the rubber door seal, in front of the rear door catch. I saw this while fitting a reversing camera and sensors, fitted these as some idiot (DOH!) took the Bongo through a car wash which removed the reversing mirror nicely!
But that's going to be another thread.

Return to “Techie Stuff”