Can a front fog light switch be used for a rear fog lamp?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Faff

Can a front fog light switch be used for a rear fog lamp?

Post by Faff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:01 pm

I know it sounds like an odd question but I currently have a rear fog lamp switch on the dashboard that was probably fitted by the importer and looks like something you might launch missiles with. It illuminates in bright yellow - so brightly you could read a book by it which is a bit distracting when driving at night to say the least.

One of my friends has given me a Mazda front foglight switch identical to the one I have installed for my front foglights. It has four connectors on the back of it. The mission control switch has 3 connectors running in to it.

Not being an electrical whizz, can I replace the mission control switch with the Mazda one and if so what do I need to connect to each of the 4 connectors on the back of the mazda switch (2 silver ones and 2 gold ones).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers, Chris.
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:32 pm

Yes, you can.

I have done it.

I posted info on how to do it, about three zillion posts ago.

Try a search and see if it comes up.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I cannot remember how I did it!
Faff

Post by Faff » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:13 pm

Thanks Pippin - just had a trawl through your posts and whilst I've learnt a few new things, not much better off on fog lamp switches though. Was this the post you were referring to?

Cheers, Chris.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:20 pm Post subject: DASHED CONNECTORS & FOGGY SWITCHES!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First query:

I have acquired a BONGO original fog lamp switch.

The one fitted by the importer for the rear fog lamp is not visible from the driving position so I am going to fit the original type into the correct position on the offside upper bank.

The loom connector is already there and when I get front fogs it will control them as well.

As previously reported this is a 4 pin moulded socket which has two red/black tracer wires plus a red and a black.

The switch has a tiny bulb in a small circular holder which fits into the side of the switch, not accessible unless the switch is eased out from the dash.

Alas, the bulb has failed!
The bulb and holder are integral and obviously come as a spare part.
Does anyone know the part number and whether they are readily available?

I could replace the (incandescent) bulb but it would be a very fiddly job and probably not very satisfactory. I suspect a LED mod would be a better bet - I have the technical knowledge to do that.

Second query:

During the firkling about for the above project I discovered another unused connector from the loom.

This hangs down just to the left of the steering column and is visible if the inspection panel beneath the steering wheel is removed (two screws).

It is a three way female connector.

The three wires from the loom are blue, red and green.
Weirdly, coming out of the loom there is also a white wire terminated by a bullet connector. Also, coming back out of the connector are two short wire links also terminated by bullet connectors. One is red and connected to the red wire pin, the other is green/brown and is connected to the green wire pin.

Any info on what that is for?

If I could figure out how to create a web page and upload pictures to it then you would all be able to see what I am banging on about!
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:38 pm

If I could figure out how to create a web page and upload pictures /quote]

See the 'Guidance' section - top of page one of this forum
pippin

Post by pippin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:39 am

No, it was a later post.

Let me sleep on it.

Return to “Techie Stuff”