Headlights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Malc Mitchell

Headlights

Post by Malc Mitchell » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 pm

My 1996 Bongo's headlights are pathetic! :( They seem very bright (A very white/blue light like a xeon bulb) when you look at them but they hardly illuminate the road ahead at all! Any good mods anyone can suggest??
Malc.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm

There is a thread on pimp my bongo regarding a High Intensity Discharge upgrade option... :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:02 pm

I upgraded to Halfords super brilliance lamps (H4) they did make a differance for me, They were buy one get one free as well! Found the connections tight when trying to replace so just a wee squirt of WD40 did the trick.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Quote me!
LED replacement bulbs
Goto page Previous 1, 2

Bongo Fury Forum Index -> Techie Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic
Colin Lambert
Supreme Being

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My h/lights were rubbish and mine is a 99V with lens that are crystal clear and with reflectors in as new condition.
I have a theory which I expounded when I had the first Disco. It is that:-
beacuse one sits so high in both the Bongo & the Disco you tend to look DOWN on the headlight beam rather than ALONG it in a normal car. In the Disco I put 80/100's and then I could see where I was going.
I have replaced Bertie's bulbs with Maplins extra bright jobbies (not blue) and they are standard wattage. They are MUCH better. The sidelighs need attention now as they are (as someone described earlier) P***y yellow. p.s. don't risk 80/100's in the Bongo, apart from being illegal they may well cause a fire and burn out your loom. Discoveries are built of stearner stuff!!

twinrider
Bongonaut

Re: Headlights

Post by twinrider » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 am

Malc Mitchell wrote:My 1996 Bongo's headlights are pathetic! :( They seem very bright (A very white/blue light like a xeon bulb) when you look at them but they hardly illuminate the road ahead at all! Any good mods anyone can suggest??
Malc.
A lot of the fake Xenon H4 bulbs are tinted blue to give that white/blue light look, but the tint effectively reduces the light emitted. Change to clear high-power H4 bulbs and you'll get much better results. That said, because the headlights aren't multireflector, they're never going to really brilliant.
Jim
'97 Bongo V6 AFT
Malc Mitchell

Post by Malc Mitchell » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for all those tips folks, I will get myself some new bulbs and maybe some driving spots!
Malc.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 pm

I put a pair of +30% Osrams from Lidl for £2.99 - made a remarkable difference - nice and white.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690

Return to “Techie Stuff”