Possibly a stupid question about airconditioning

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

neilfraser

Possibly a stupid question about airconditioning

Post by neilfraser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi guys/girls

We recently bought a 1998 Bongo with the digital controls for the aircon. However I am wondering if there is a problem with it - if I set the temp to be higher than the oustide temp (i.e. I want to heat the van) I get cold air coming out of the top vents and hot coming out of the footwell ones! Is that right?

Thanks

Neil
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:02 am

It could be, and I am sure someone with digital controls will confirm. I have manual controls.

Many years ago I had a Cortina which could be set like that, but most cars I have owned more recently, can't. I liked it as I could have nice warm feet and legs, but still have cool air to my face to keep me fresh and awake. Haven't found a way to set my Bongo's controls to give me that cofiguration.
neilfraser

Post by neilfraser » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:34 am

Forgot to mention that this is when the blower is set to blow thorough those two sets of vents (obviously!). Haven't tried it just on the dash or footwell settings on their own yet - will try next time I use "skiddy" as she is known.
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 am

No question is "stupid",

as my father used to say:

"the importance of any question lies in the consequences of getting the answer wrong!".
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:58 am

The handbook says that should happen with the digital controls when you set about 25 degrees, implying that if you set it higher (or lower?) you would get hot out of both.

I didn't manage to make ours do it on first try... so I'm currently jealous cos as Mike says warm feet cool facial breeze is great - especially for overnight driving.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Mind you on a Bongo, and with a little tweaking of the controls, you can probably get warm feet from that hot lump between the seats and cool air on your face by seeting the heater to cool and directing air only to your face. I'm full of useful s**t er.....tips like that. 8) 8) 8)
aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:47 pm

mine has the digital controls if I set them to face vents only they allow cold air no matter what the temp. is set at if set to face and feet get warm/hot air depending on temp control setting. If set to feet and screen again I get warm/ hot air to both areas. must admit the cold air on the face does help when night driving. Also it I turn on the screen blower switch with air con the blower goes straight to full blast and cleans the inside of the windscreen very quickly.
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate

Return to “Techie Stuff”