Before I buy an alternator...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mp3oplecarrier

Before I buy an alternator...

Post by mp3oplecarrier » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi, just had a new battery fitted as the last one was very obviously dead (white stuff coming out and everything). About a week later I noticed that a belt had started slipping (slight whine when pullingh away first time). The next day I got the charge and sediment light come on, which my searches tell me are an indication of alternator failure. Before I order a new alternator though, is there any chance it could be to do with the 100A fuse by the positive terminal? looking through the window in the top of the fuse it looks as if it may be burnt, but it won't pull out to let me check it, do I have to undo the bolt underneath it on the battery side?

I can't help but think it must have something to do with either the change of battery , or me using jump leads to try and start the car from my leisure battery before replacing the main one. I could see how that might blow a fuse, but it seems bloody funny for the alternator to fail at exactly that time...

Any ideas?

Steve
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:29 pm

If the 100a fuse has blown, as mine did once, then none of the Bongo electrics will work at all. If you need to remove it to check, then it is bolted on from underneath. If you need to get a new one, then these types of fuses are fairly common on Jap imports, so you could get one from a scrappie.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mp3oplecarrier

Post by mp3oplecarrier » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Cheers Ian,

Sounds like an alternator then...

Steve
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:04 pm

check the output voltage, when mine went, there was no difference whether it was running or not & it was slowly dropping (quicker if you load it up with lights, ac etc) with the engine on.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
the-bongo-mongo

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:14 pm

just replaced the one i have here..was goosed..110k klms......40 quid at ebay breakers...
mp3oplecarrier

Post by mp3oplecarrier » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Checked the voltage before posting, 12.4v before starting, 11.5v after! I was just hoping there could have been a magic fuse only fix!

Steve
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:44 pm

Without wanting to jeopardis BF shop sales, I had the same symptoms & got one of these from a really helpful chap on the phone

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=002

Called him at 3pm & was delivered next morning.

Good deal. Good service.

Good Luck!!

:)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
the-bongo-mongo

Post by the-bongo-mongo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:49 pm

ye gotta go with what suits yer pocket, not anyone else !

Return to “Techie Stuff”