Charged as a campervan on EuroTunnel

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Re: Charged as a campervan on EuroTunnel

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:30 pm

I believe that you can pay as you arrive at the terminal but the prices are often higher because you cannot take advantage of early booking. If you are not using any vouchers etc. the cheapest way to pay is in advance, online.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:25 pm

That is by far the worst thing to do, as you will pay an extortionate "turn up & go" rate - probably the first number they think of doubled and with an extra 0 on the end.

Not advised.

Strange, as the Chunnel's original concept was for it to be a shuttle service, almost like a toll tunnel with NO advance booking at all.

That didn't last long and they now do as much as possible to discourage that sort of traffic and the earlier you book and the more off peak you want to go the cheaper it should be.
Pablobongo
Bongolier

Post by Pablobongo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Norfolkline are far and away the cheapest/best way to cross the channel. I have always used them over and above the others, as the online booking system is the clearest and easiest to use.....They do not charge a premium for Bongo/camper type vehicles, just anything over 2.4M high is deemed as oversize, so pay at a different rate. :D
Paul 2002 V6Image
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:05 am

Pablobongo wrote:Norfolkline are far and away the cheapest/best way to cross the channel. I have always used them over and above the others, as the online booking system is the clearest and easiest to use.....They do not charge a premium for Bongo/camper type vehicles, just anything over 2.4M high is deemed as oversize, so pay at a different rate. :D
Well... They WERE the cheapest, unfortunately... :-( This summer I had to refuse using them because they restricted their best fares only for 4 people crossing with a car and charging for each additional person. As I normally travelled to the continent by 5-6 people, then click! P&O offers appeared unbeatably best.
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Matt&JoyBongling wrote:We were charged an extra £18 when we booked our rtn. tickets for the Eurotunnel today - because Bongos are now classed as campervans; we have sleeping facilities and a cooker :evil:

We used our Tesco vouchers for the crossing and it usually works out to be relatively cheap but will be looking at other options if they take this approach.
Wishing to book on Eurotunnel (using Tesco vouchers), I emailed Eurotunnel to check if that is their policy, that all Bongos are campervans. They simply replied "look at your log book to see what to book under". In my case, although it has a full conversion, it is still listed as PLG. So it goes as a van? Mind u, it's black with blacked windows, it looks like one. The port border controls ALWAYS look inside, twice on one occasion. I was thinking of putting a cardboard cutout immigrant inside!
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Bin Bongoed wrote:
Matt&JoyBongling wrote:We were charged an extra £18 when we booked our rtn. tickets for the Eurotunnel today - because Bongos are now classed as campervans; we have sleeping facilities and a cooker :evil:

We used our Tesco vouchers for the crossing and it usually works out to be relatively cheap but will be looking at other options if they take this approach.
Wishing to book on Eurotunnel (using Tesco vouchers), I emailed Eurotunnel to check if that is their policy, that all Bongos are campervans. They simply replied "look at your log book to see what to book under". In my case, although it has a full conversion, it is still listed as PLG. So it goes as a van? Mind u, it's black with blacked windows, it looks like one. The port border controls ALWAYS look inside, twice on one occasion. I was thinking of putting a cardboard cutout immigrant inside!
That sounds good and sensible. We'll try this next year when we return to the continent.

We went to France in Feb in our little car. Once again, we were pulled over for security checks. This time they checked for explosives :shock:
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:43 pm

scanner wrote:That is by far the worst thing to do, as you will pay an extortionate "turn up & go" rate - probably the first number they think of doubled and with an extra 0 on the end.

Not advised.

Strange, as the Chunnel's original concept was for it to be a shuttle service, almost like a toll tunnel with NO advance booking at all.

That didn't last long and they now do as much as possible to discourage that sort of traffic and the earlier you book and the more off peak you want to go the cheaper it should be.
I've used turn up and go coming back from Europe on the motorbike and I can't remember the difference in costs but my reason was that I had no idea where I was going to end up as I wasn't following an itinerary. It got expensive if you wanted to board after 12:00 but otherwise seemed worth it for having one less deadline hanging over me.

Last time I still had to cane it for 160 miles to make the twelve O'clock cut off or I would argue that there was a safety angle to being more relaxed:D
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Velocette wrote:
scanner wrote:That is by far the worst thing to do, as you will pay an extortionate "turn up & go" rate - probably the first number they think of doubled and with an extra 0 on the end.

Not advised.

I've used turn up and go coming back from Europe on the motorbike and I can't remember the difference in costs but my reason was that I had no idea where I was going to end up as I wasn't following an itinerary. It got expensive if you wanted to board after 12:00 but otherwise seemed worth it for having one less deadline hanging over me.

Last time I still had to cane it for 160 miles to make the twelve O'clock cut off or I would argue that there was a safety angle to being more relaxed:D
Maybe the case with a bike which they can squeeze in at the back, but try it with a car or van and they will sting you.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:21 pm

mikexgough wrote:I will query this with my Pal.....he works for SeaFrance and all the companies have "insider" knowledge on the complexities of the other companies........

I usually go via Norfolk Line :D unless I get a gratis ticket on SeaFrance... :wink: ...I know some Bongo's have been charged extra costs over the other side of the channel when returning to Blighty on SeaFrance, the folks have been refunded from the UK and I raised the issue with my Pal who obviously passed this on to the UK & French port staff and now that situation should not occur again.
Also the Eurostar from 1st January next year will be run by SNCF, 55% ownership, the parent company of SeaFrance..... could be interesting.............
Looking forward to the outcome, we went over on Sea France a month or so ago with no problems. They didn't even look in the back, but maybe with summer coming it will be different.

I know they charge campervan rates for the new VW's.

We're going over again at the end of August and hoping that we get over for the same price still
I love cheese!
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:27 pm

scanner wrote:
Velocette wrote:

Not advised.

Maybe the case with a bike which they can squeeze in at the back, but try it with a car or van and they will sting you.
I've just looked at the tarriff and they stiff bikes a lot more than a couple of years ago when I last used them. Pity, being able to just turn up was the main reason I favoured them. It's all about cashflow I
guess.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Velocette wrote:I've just looked at the tarriff and they stiff bikes a lot more than a couple of years ago when I last used them. Pity, being able to just turn up was the main reason I favoured them. It's all about cashflow I guess.
That's what I was trying to say and if you turn up more than 2 hours ahead of your crossing you are sent packing now - it's one of the reasons I haven't used them lately.

The other was that I had to start paying.
Dr.Jekyll

Post by Dr.Jekyll » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:45 pm

GrayRX8 wrote:As a complete novice in crossing the water. Can you just drive down to Euro tunnel and pay for the crossing there and then without booking?
And if so what would be the approx cost of this?
Also can you do it the other end on the way back?
Thanx in Advance
Gray.
Yes you can just turn up and pay on the daywithout a booking.
Cost will be quite expensive i.e. alot more than just making a booking via internet say the day before.
You can do it on the way back too.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:57 pm

Dr.Jekyll wrote: Cost will be quite expensive i.e. a lot more than just making a booking via internet say the day before.
Just checked and booking for tomorrow the standard fare is the cheapest one offered and that is £147 booked as a car or £183 booked as a campervan for a one way trip. :shock:

If you just turn up you will probably have to buy a Flexiplus ticket @ £199 one way.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:03 am

scanner wrote:
Dr.Jekyll wrote: Cost will be quite expensive i.e. a lot more than just making a booking via internet say the day before.
Just checked and booking for tomorrow the standard fare is the cheapest one offered and that is £147 booked as a car or £183 booked as a campervan for a one way trip. :shock:

If you just turn up you will probably have to buy a Flexiplus ticket @ £199 one way.
That's extortionate!!! I paid £60 return with Sea France
I love cheese!
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:59 am

Matt&JoyBongling wrote:
Bin Bongoed wrote:

That sounds good and sensible. We'll try this next year when we return to the continent.

We went to France in Feb in our little car. Once again, we were pulled over for security checks. This time they checked for explosives :shock:
They always check for explosives at Poole. Every summer we have been pulled up for them, and I know a couple of the blokes from the pub!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Going Abroad”