I think i want a Bongo

Moderators: Bob, westonwarrior

Andy W
Bongonaut

I think i want a Bongo

Post by Andy W » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:03 am

Hi all.
Im Andy as the username suggests. I live in Bristol and im thinking about getting a Bongo. So thought this would be a good place to gain valuable info before i go out looking. It would be used mainly for me and my daughter to go off to watch motorbike racing (British superbikes mainly) or sometimes to classic mini shows if i cant be bothered to load up the mini with tent ect. This would be for one or two nights at a weekend. We may use it for the odd long weekend if the misses wants to get away. Have looked around online a bit and think i would like the split rear seat and popup roof type and would get the removable kitchen unit in the back. Not fussed if it was 2 or 4wd. All this is dependent on finance becoming available hopefully within a few months. So any suggestions on what i should be checking or other things i should be thinking about would be greatfully received.
platty345

Post by platty345 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:56 am

Hi m8, Welcome, You should have posted on bongo chat you will get more response on there, Lazy lot from the south :lol: :lol: .
Have a look on the for sale bongo's on the site there are some belters on at the moment,
Its a matter of going for a spin in one, Ask the guys from your area to have a bit of a meet then ask all relevent questions, I'm sure someone will let you have a poke around (don't start),
I think Indigo is from bristol area they ave a top bongo they may help(no pressure indigo),
Good luck on your search :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:02 am

Welcome Andy.

You also have Algys Motors in Bristol who have and importing scheme and are experienced, well known and well thought of. Only problem there is the dwindling supply of good quality older Bongos available at auction in Japan - you'd have to ask them about that and gauge their reaction.

Happy Hunting and don't rush to buy. Research, test drive, get to know about ups and downs of them but they are a great motor if you get your sums right.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:05 am

Welcome Andy.

You've come to the right place. Prepare yourself for having your life turned upside down! It sounds like you already have a good idea of what you're after, although there will be a variety of tips along shortly, you've opened a right old can of worms here!

:D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:15 am

Andy Hi and welcome to the world of Bongos. :D
As this is your first post I think I must correct you, it is not "I think I want a Bongo", it is "I want a Bongo" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good luck in your search, I bought mine blind off a Japanese web site, I had never seen or heard of them before and just took a gamble. One year on no regrets and there is a real family feel that comes with owning one.
This web site is great for information and dare I say it fun. :lol:
Keep the Faith

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:41 am

There's a meet at Brokerswood next weekend, I think BoyFromBrasil is checking out what the score is with day visitors, ie whether they've got to pay a couple of quid, to get in. Come on down & have a look & a chat, I think theres' a good mix of newbies & veterans going to be there :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Andy W
Bongonaut

Post by Andy W » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome people :)
Will see if i can get down to Brokerswood for the day next weekend, but it might have to be on the Sunday. Will there still be people there up untill midday or do you all pack up and get off early?
SilverEther
Bongolier

Post by SilverEther » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:32 pm

well as most folks have responded here I have cut and past my response :lol:

Hello ... I wanted a split seat when I started looking, but you loose a seat at the back ... oh mines not converted I also think if you flatten the middle and rear seats for sleeping you may get a lumpy bed...

I love my Bongo ... :D

oh and by the way I think your really need a Bongo 8)
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:49 pm

Andy W wrote:Thanks for the welcome people :)
Will see if i can get down to Brokerswood for the day next weekend, but it might have to be on the Sunday. Will there still be people there up untill midday or do you all pack up and get off early?
Quite a few of us will be there at least until midday and probably longer as breakfast for me normally lasts for at least 2 hours.... Oh, and there's the hangover to get rid of!!!! :lol:

Paul
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
Andy W
Bongonaut

Post by Andy W » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:52 pm

I take it you will all be in a group in the same area. Just wonder into the camping area and look for a group of Bongos then?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 pm

We shouldn't be too hard to spot, I should be there until at least lunch time, I don't do early mornings unless it's still the night before :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
BONGO-LOUIS

Post by BONGO-LOUIS » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi Andy we are from bristol and travellin to meet next weekend my hubby is into bikes, so if you do decide to join us your guaranteed a good chin wag. :)

Gary & Tina
Andy W
Bongonaut

Post by Andy W » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:36 am

BONGO-LOUIS wrote:Hi Andy we are from bristol and travellin to meet next weekend my hubby is into bikes, so if you do decide to join us your guaranteed a good chin wag. :)

Gary & Tina
Cool \:D/ I do like me bikes. Will have to make sure i get the misses up early next weekend then as it sounds i will have a lot to look at and chat about. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Andy - why not get teh mobile phone number for one or two of these guys then you can phone to check on whose gonna be there before setting off. Its Murphy's Law - if you don't and, for example, weather is poor and everyone decides they want to pack in early, there'll be no easy way of resolving the situation. Best to plan for the worst. You've probably done all this so I'll get me coat and be off :oops:
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:40 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: You've probably done all this
Maybe....
mikeonb4c wrote: so I'll get me coat and be off :oops:
How many coats have you got Mike? I only ask because it would appear that you'd never have time to go to the shops what with all the time you spend in front of a computer... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...

Return to “Rest of the West”