bolton le sands

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

karena
Supreme Being

Re: bolton le sands

Post by karena » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:44 am

glad you had a good time (envy envy) :)
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi Mike - that beach looks abolutely superb - very jealous.
Me and my lad (10) are just getting into kiting.
Have just bought him a 4 line kite to give a better pull than the 2 line he was advised to start on.
Just got a buggy as well with a second hand buster 4m - which gave me my first assisted departure from the buggy on sunday in gusty offshore winds (you have to learn dont you).
I am trying to fly mostly in west wales but struggling around low tide marks and crowded beaches - it looks like you had that one almost to yourself.

Ed
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 pm

well done, its a great sport and you get a real buzz when your tramping along at 30 to 40 mph.
that beach is super large but it wasnt to myself there were quite a few of us there, about 30 or so flying up and down, i just went on when most were packing away or having dinner.the winds died down on the sunday so it was a bit safer to be taking di and jamies children on the back.
you will have plenty of o.b.e's before your competant, just make sure u wear a helmet, ive seen enough crashes that would have ended up in hospital without the skidlid. also look into getting 3rd party insurance.
http://www.bpka.co.uk/
some other pictures from the beach that weekend
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn18 ... =slideshow
get yourself registered on racekites.com and go on the forums on that site.
glad theres another kiter amongs us.
mike, jo and emma
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Hope to be at Harry's birthday bash if he will let us in at this late stage. My Partner's 25 year old daughter (Warren's Sister) will be comming with me for her first Bongo Bash. She wants to take you up on the offer of a tandem ride with you on the sands Mike. Hope that you are not fully booked up for these rides. Me I will stick to climbing mountains.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 pm

madmile wrote:Hi Mike - that beach looks abolutely superb - very jealous.
Me and my lad (10) are just getting into kiting.
Have just bought him a 4 line kite to give a better pull than the 2 line he was advised to start on.
Just got a buggy as well with a second hand buster 4m - which gave me my first assisted departure from the buggy on sunday in gusty offshore winds (you have to learn dont you).
I am trying to fly mostly in west wales but struggling around low tide marks and crowded beaches - it looks like you had that one almost to yourself.

Ed
I have been buggying now for just over a year and Bongoing for 3 months and the two go so well together.
As Dreamwarrioruk says, get the insurance, it's only £40 a year. Wear a lid and when learning, elbow and knee pads. I also covered the ends of the footpegs and the top of the headstock with cut tennis balls. When i started i knoticed that when i OBE'd my legs were getting battered. This was not by landing but from contact with the aforementioned parts. OBE's are part of learning and the more safety gear you have on and the more padding around pointy bits, the better. I thought once i look a tw*t in all this gear but then thought i would look an even bigger one getting scooped into the back of an ambulance.
Tis a great sport and you will meet the nicest people ever.
EDIT, OOPS £15 a year. the £40 was for Family
Maybe we should organise a Bongokiters meet sometime soon????
Last edited by thedogsbollox on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 pm

fingers crossed we have wind so get eating them beans.it was 25mph last saturday just about purrfect.wife is like you she will stick to climbing mountains,not too high as she gets altitude sickness.
mike, jo and emma
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

fingers crossed we have wind so get eating them beans.it was 25mph last saturday just about purrfect.wife is like you she will stick to climbing mountains,not too high as she gets altitude sickness. i pay 15 a year for the insurance.
next meeting could be the bls one in july if anyone can get along to it.
shell islands a good venue. im looking to get one organised for the east coast nr fraizthorpe which is my local beach.
other place i fly is at pontifract racecourse.
mike, jo and emma
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:11 pm

You don't happen to have a kite do you?
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:26 pm

I will be bringing my kites but not my bug as there is no wind for a start, i need room for the fishin gear and i need to get my kites out empty the sand out of them and repack them. If i find an empty bit of field then i will be up and running though. You are goin to the bash aren't you?
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Funny enough - just as I got yanked out of the buggy and down the beach face first, an onlooker commented that up to that point it hadnt looked dangerous enough for a helmet :lol: - only my MTB helmet, but better than nothing at this stage.
You are both right about the insurance, and just going through the process for both of us.
It seems a great sport - used to be into windsurfing when I was in my 20's. Got to 40 and my sport is fishing, but cant get out on the boat when its windy so this seemed like a good windy day option which would keep me active and on the beach 8) . Just need to avoid injury as self employed :lol: .
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 pm

tony, no we arnt going to the national, dont have a guinea pig sitter for the weekend.
mike, jo and emma

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”