Where to buy in South Wales

tawse57

Where to buy in South Wales

Post by tawse57 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a bongo and have no idea where to buy one from. I am no expert with cars/vans so would not know a good one from a duff one. I am based in Swansea and am prepared to travel to get myself a good conversion job that I can use as my sole vehicle plus be able to put some surfboards in and go down the beach for a day or two.

I have had a look at Astec Campers' website, in Swansea, but have also looked at some of the dealers on here such as Eden Camper Vans in Reading, etc. Basically, I am looking for some advice on whether I go to a dealer or try to buy one direct from a bongo owner. Not sure really so advice would be welcome.

Oh, and thoughts on price to pay also. I see that the dealer prices are often in the 10K plus range whereas everyone on bongofury seems to have got theirs for tuppence!?

Thanks,

T.
pilajake
Bongolier

Re: Where to buy in South Wales

Post by pilajake » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 pm

tawse57,

Like you i am no expert when it comes to vehicles, I have been lucky and have owned my Bongo for 18 months now without any major headaches :D

I purchased mine from Emerald autos in Llansamlet , I know he has a few for around £5000 , not sure on the condition.
Croft autos in cockett, St Johns Road also have had a few new ones this week on their forecourt.
I am also led to believe ther is a garage in Murton who advertises bongos on Ebay.
I tried to find them once and failed :oops:

Good Luck and take someone with you, unfortunately I cant help but I am sure there is someone in Swansea who could .
Wild Women from WONGO there are none in my BONGO !!
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:26 pm

The good thing about buying privately, is that many of these vans were bought 2 years or so back when prices were not as high as they are now. Figure in a bit of assumed depreciation on the part of the owner and you can buy a vehicle cheaper than dealers or even yourself could buy direct from japan now. I am paying more for a 96 bongo now, than I was 2 years ago for the same 96 vehicle :? .
The downside to a vehicle that has been on the road in the UK for a couple of years is that rust may have taken hold if waxoiling wasnt done straight away.

The best advice is to look at as many as you can without your cheque book to get a feel for them as there is more than a couple of thousand pound difference in value between a good well serviced rust free bongo and a scruffy one with problems.
If you are looking at conversions then you add another problem into the equation as there are good and bad conversions as well as part and full conversions.

I cant think of many dealers in south wales who have more than a few bongos in stock - perhaps try St Ilan Cars on Pontgwindy road, Caerphilly.
(I will say I have done a few conversions for them and the vans seem to be nice clean ones).
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:51 pm

And of course you could buy a good condition private Bongo unconverted and madmile is not far off if you want to do a bespoke conversion to your spec. Personally, I'd find that option very interesting. For a beer, madmile might even vet a local Bongo for you.

I'll be off now as I think I've stuffed enough words into madmiles mouth without his permission :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS - seriously though, however you do it, there is no subsistute for getting a sound vehicle as the basis for whatever you decide to do. Don't be seduced by ready to go conversions. There's lots to think about. With conversions, you want to check how easy it is to access the engine bay for routine servicing (oil checks etc.) as I suspect standards may vary.

Happy hunting 8)
target repair

Post by target repair » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Quality cars direct also have a few in there located in swansea

tawse57

Post by tawse57 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:23 pm

What - in Murton? Didn't know that there was a place in Murton?
pilajake
Bongolier

Post by pilajake » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:07 pm

tawse57
48 Manselfield Road , Murton Swansea.
They had adverts on EBAY selling foreign imports including Bongos.
welsh winger

Post by welsh winger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:49 am

Hi I had a look at the 2 at Croft autos in cockett, the green one has some problems, no lights on the dash and a fan that comes on with the ignition, ( they all do that I was Told) not to metion the 250,000kms on the clock, if you push the bloke he will take £4,500, the white one on a R is a 2 wheel drive I seem to remember, first impression that is was a nice clean van,
(the fan did not come on either) he asking £7.000 will take £6.500 for cash, the salesman put me off buying there, which is why I did not look at the white one for too long, far too pushy but you make your own mind up.

Nick
Welsh Winger
tawse57

Post by tawse57 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks for the info about Murton and Cockett guys,

I spent today driving around random dealers in Swansea and Cross Hands and was gobsmacked how expensive bongos are down here compared to the prices I am seeing across the border. Perhaps I did not go to the right places?

I was shocked how, IMPO, rubbish several of the vans I looked at were and one place I went to was asking 11K to 12K for vans with the most basic conversions in them - i.e. cupboards and a basic stool bed but no electrical hook up, no leisure batt, no fridge, no nothing really. Even the tilt up roof they wanted 2K for so by the time you added it all up you were well on the way to a good secondhand motorhome. Nuts!

Compared to firms across the bridge who are offering complete conversions for about 10K there was no competition.

I can't see myself buying down here at all now and am planning a trip next week to several dealers in England.

T.
pilajake
Bongolier

Post by pilajake » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:56 pm

Have you tried
spf-leisure in Porthcawl ?

I bought my weekender conversion off them . They also do vehicles with a full conversion Occasionally.
tawse57

Post by tawse57 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Yep, been looking at them on ebay oddly enough. Will give them a look if my trip to that place across the border is not fruitful!

Too late to cancel the trip now - the boys are going and we have planned a picnic... or something like that :-)
pilajake
Bongolier

Post by pilajake » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Good Luck in your search across the border.
I am sure you will find the right one eventually.
Have to go now , Off to the Bongo Bash in the morning :D :idea:
wallydog

Post by wallydog » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 pm

We bought our Bongo about 5 weeks ago from GLC Autos in Gorseinon (opposite 3M's) Had it checked over by a very nice RAC man who said it was in really good nick, undersealed etc with full electric hook up provision etc etc. It was already converted - and they even passed on the guarantee for the conversion which was done in Porthcawl last summer. They also chuck in a free 6 month warranty which works as we had to take it back in for some minor alteration on the runners for the roof and they were really good
Mikey B

Post by Mikey B » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:31 pm

wallydog wrote:We bought our Bongo about 5 weeks ago from GLC Autos in Gorseinon (opposite 3M's)
Here's a link to them - no Bongo's yet

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/ ... 4&pageid=3
tawse57

Post by tawse57 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:21 pm

wallydog wrote:We bought our Bongo about 5 weeks ago from GLC Autos in Gorseinon (opposite 3M's) Had it checked over by a very nice RAC man who said it was in really good nick, undersealed etc with full electric hook up provision etc etc. It was already converted - and they even passed on the guarantee for the conversion which was done in Porthcawl last summer. They also chuck in a free 6 month warranty which works as we had to take it back in for some minor alteration on the runners for the roof and they were really good
Thanks wallydog, I had a look in there yesterday but they did not have any bongos. Had some nice looking Toyota vans though. Out of interest, do you mind telling me how much you paid for it, mileage, etc?

The chap in Porthcawl does some nice looking conversions from what I have seen on his site - is it a full side, half side or rear conversion?

Thanks,

T.

p.s.

Thanks for the link Mikey

Return to “Wales/Cymru”