Best in show etc

Lickhill Manor, Stourport on Severn 17 to 22 June

Moderator: Ian

Dizzy-Dots
Tribal Elder

Best in show etc

Post by Dizzy-Dots » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Just wondering if we are having a 'best in show' sort of thing at the bash?

or perhaps a best pimped section etc

I'm only asking cause I like to nose at other peoples Bongos! :oops: :lol: and some have fantastic examples - I think they should be recognised with an impressive trophy :wink:

Anybody agree, or would it be too hard work to organise? :?
Lisa

1995 'N' Plate - 2WD AFT in Black - called 'Jonnie'!

Dizzy-Dots
Tribal Elder

Re: Best in show etc

Post by Dizzy-Dots » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 am

No replys? Was my question/suggestion so far-out??? :shock: :oops:
Lisa

daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 am

Dizzy-Dots wrote: I'm only asking cause I like to nose at other peoples Bongos!
there is nothing stopping you from taking a nose at any bongo. #-o i think it would be difficult to choose just one bongo ,there are so many really good pimps out there in bongo land ,all different and to different tastes.
external pimps or internal, sound systems or decor ,wheels or lighting ,would be hard to choose.
Lost without my Bongo.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:43 am

I think the Bash is such a nice chilled atmosphere, it would possibly spoil it to reduce a competitive element, besides, everyone uses/pimps/converts their bongos in different ways with different requirements, it'd be impossible to judge. Apart from that, most people are camping in theirs, so it's difficult to see them in their full glory :wink:
Just enjoy the weekend, wander round & chat to people & have a poke around, as Dave said, see you there 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Dizzy-Dots
Tribal Elder

Post by Dizzy-Dots » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 am

I only meant a fun show - for people who wanted to enter - I didn't mean a serious competition with criteria that had to be met....

Ah well...it was just an idea...
Lisa

Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:06 am

missfixit70 wrote:I think the Bash is such a nice chilled atmosphere, it would possibly spoil it to reduce a competitive element, besides, everyone uses/pimps/converts their bongos in different ways with different requirements, it'd be impossible to judge. Apart from that, most people are camping in theirs, so it's difficult to see them in their full glory :wink:
Just enjoy the weekend, wander round & chat to people & have a poke around, as Dave said, see you there 8)
I agree with d-d in principle, although not having been before, I could be wrong #-o Sounds fun though, if treated lightly, and not made the main purpose of the bash - and this is from somebody who doesn't even believe in pimping! As far as I'm concerned, it's a Bongo, a classic design without any need for pimping, not a Mk I Cortina :lol:

(Anyone see the excellent BBC2 prog last night on the history of Fords, Dagenham, BTW?)

Perhaps for balance, a "best in show" (sounds like dogs, not motors - should be "concours d'elegance" surely?) section for umpimped Bongos would be a nice thing to also include. Might even polish ours pre-Stourport :lol: (No, the retroreflective strips on ours aren't pimping, Kirsty - they're safety aids :lol: ).
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I used to attend the MINI shows. They had contest and judges for best This and Best that, but the funny non serious contest was for the Tattiest car :lol: Now that was funny, as they purposely made their cars look scruffy. I would win with no effort! :lol: :lol:
Things always get better after they are worse
So it's good to make things worse as soon as possible!
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:20 pm

they purposely made their cars look scruffy
The first Bongo 'meet' I went to, I was returning from the beach. We'd taken our neices snorkelling, then to McDonalds. My Bongo was full of their sandy mess. Everyone at the meet had a good look. :shock:
Used to do the VW meets, lots of pimping, good enough for VolksWorld mag.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:26 pm

not so old wrote:I used to attend the MINI shows. They had contest and judges for best This and Best that, but the funny non serious contest was for the Tattiest car :lol: Now that was funny, as they purposely made their cars look scruffy. I would win with no effort! :lol: :lol:
You beat me to it Anna. I think Dizzy's suggestion is not at all daft (rather good in fact), but I can see it might turn a relaxed weekend into an unrelaxed one. Then again it needn't be that way, if a secret panel of judges went round individually noting and scoring Bongos on various criteria (best bling, cleanest, scruffiest, dullest, funniest, neatest camp set up, most ingenious camp set up etc.) it could be quite fun to have the Top 3 in each class published (or announced at the Bash) with a few silly prizes. 8)
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
not so old wrote:I used to attend the MINI shows. They had contest and judges for best This and Best that, but the funny non serious contest was for the Tattiest car :lol: Now that was funny, as they purposely made their cars look scruffy. I would win with no effort! :lol: :lol:
You beat me to it Anna. I think Dizzy's suggestion is not at all daft (rather good in fact), but I can see it might turn a relaxed weekend into an unrelaxed one. Then again it needn't be that way, if a secret panel of judges went round individually noting and scoring Bongos on various criteria (best bling, cleanest, scruffiest, dullest, funniest, neatest camp set up, most ingenious camp set up etc.) it could be quite fun to have the Top 3 in each class published (or announced at the Bash) with a few silly prizes. 8)
That sounds good fun to me too Mike! :D Nothing too official eh! and really daft prizes.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 pm

not so old wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
That sounds good fun to me too Mike! :D Nothing too official eh! and really daft prizes.
Yup and everyone just carries on with their weekend regardless :D

With that kind of judges scoring matrix We could call it the Bongovision Bling Contest

:lol:
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Allans wrote:
they purposely made their cars look scruffy
The first Bongo 'meet' I went to, I was returning from the beach. We'd taken our neices snorkelling, then to McDonalds. My Bongo was full of their sandy mess. Everyone at the meet had a good look. :shock:
Used to do the VW meets, lots of pimping, good enough for VolksWorld mag.
It works out that way . Does it not? When you are all polished and tidy, nobody notices, but the wellies and crisp packets, sand etc, attracts attention. Because the Bongo is not yet a 'Classic' We will have to wait for a Bongoworld Magazine, but I think I prefer the informal atmosphere :D
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:42 pm

You have a photo for every occasion Mike. :lol: Love it!
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:31 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:........if a secret panel of judges went round individually noting and scoring Bongos on various criteria....
Thinks....how can we convert parking sensors to detect secret judges? #-o
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm

I must be a bit strange (PLEASE DONT REPLY TO THAT, IT WAS RHETORICAL ) but a few times there have been options of having the bongo's on show so to speak, like the local fete or some festival in Altrincham or where ever. but i don't want my bongo on show to OUTSIDERS, if you know what i mean. i don't mind if its bongoers that are nosing or even potential bongo nutters, BUT NOT THE PUBLIC [-X [-X [-X .
As for an off the cuff comp at the big bash ,that's fine by me ,but i probably would not enter a formal contest. :oops:
Lost without my Bongo.

Return to “Bongo Bash 2009”