Headlamp Beam Deflector Positions ??

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Border T

Headlamp Beam Deflector Positions ??

Post by Border T » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Just checked the new euro travel guide tonight and remembered that ill need to fit the beam defletors to my headlights . I know it sounds soft but what is the the correct position to fit beam deflectors on the front lamps :!:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Headlamp Beam Deflector Positions ??

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 am

Hi
Which model beam deflectors?...if you let me know, I'll pop out and take a snap of mine
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Watch out using black deflectors on plastic lenses - the intense heat can melt it :shock:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Dandy
I use the Eurolites ones, they are the same as Halfords own brand...silver-coloured, and I have had one set on for a couple of years...I put some new ones on for the MOT here....some stations check, others don't.... [-o< 8) ...Phew...saved converting them again this year, however I expect I will have to swap them one year!
A quick question...on the MOT here, they run brake diagnostics for permanent 4x4s on a single rolling road linked to a computer which displays permanent 4x4 on it, and they start the system by braking on 2 metal pads by the rolling road. How does that work without naffing up the transmission....I'd sure as hell like to know, as the MOT man hasn't a clue, and can never get the system to work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....and this is in a so-called "state of the art" modern??? service centre for a well known German make :wink: :roll: Mazda have opened up a centre, but I am even more dis-inclined to take it there....the average mechanic here is usually "elephants" by 10.00 a.m. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:41 pm

My first ever post back in 2006...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ilit=+beam

...and its still there

There is much more discussion on this topic in various threads in "Going Abroad"

(A mod might consider moving this thread?)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Dandy
I use the Eurolites ones, they are the same as Halfords own brand...silver-coloured, and I have had one set on for a couple of years...I put some new ones on for the MOT here....some stations check, others don't.... [-o< 8) ...Phew...saved converting them again this year, however I expect I will have to swap them one year!
A quick question...on the MOT here, they run brake diagnostics for permanent 4x4s on a single rolling road linked to a computer which displays permanent 4x4 on it, and they start the system by braking on 2 metal pads by the rolling road. How does that work without naffing up the transmission....I'd sure as hell like to know, as the MOT man hasn't a clue, and can never get the system to work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....and this is in a so-called "state of the art" modern??? service centre for a well known German make :wink: :roll: Mazda have opened up a centre, but I am even more dis-inclined to take it there....the average mechanic here is usually "elephants" by 10.00 a.m. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
It seems to be okay to do that because of the low speed of the rollers and the duration of the test. I could see a problem if the VC was goosed though :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Border T

Post by Border T » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:17 pm

Hello Helen ,Sorry for the slow responce but ive just realised that my post was moved from bongo chat to going abroad ,makes sense I guess..The type of beam bender I have is from from Halfords and i think they only do one type so any picture you have of yours would be very welcome ......Thanks
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Border T
I have some photos, I will try to put them up later today/ early tomorrow, as the photosite seems to be having problems. We couldn't post them yesterday, as we were surrounded by electrical storms, and the power kept dropping out....so hang on there :D
Cheers
helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 am

Hi
Here are the lights , as promised

I think it's obvious which sise is which... 8) :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Border T

Post by Border T » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Hello Helen, thanks for the pics they are just great as they are exactly the type i have ...Cheers again
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:12 pm

mine are like that and got the thumbs up here in France
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:52 am

Heh, I do know this car on the photos! :-D Helen&Tony, how did you manage to keep them for years after I'd deleted them myself? :-)

Reviewing them now, I concluded that today I'd move the second sticker a bit lower-left to align the upper edge along the light's horisontal line on the glass but still keeping the lower edge along the light's diagonal line as it's now. At least all my further stickers were placed by the described way. I can do another set of photos having new stickers there now (as just being preparing to my July's travel to Russia).
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am

I use duct tape in a triangular shape like that but as jon says - the top line should be the guide - remember the beam pattern inverts.

don't use black tape on plastic lenses - it can overheat and melt the lens :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

dandywarhol wrote:I use duct tape in a triangular shape like that but as jon says - the top line should be the guide - remember the beam pattern inverts.

don't use black tape on plastic lenses - it can overheat and melt the lens :?
Going home to see if my Bongo's got plastic lenses!! I've been using black tape man and boy, but only on glass. The first few times I went I used to have to use yellow lacquer too, but johnny foreigner must have suddenly realised that yellow lights were a bad idea after all! Driving in France did lose a bit of its mystique then.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]

Return to “Going Abroad”