Leisure Battery not charging - Central Locking issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

doropelu

Leisure Battery not charging - Central Locking issue

Post by doropelu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Hello all,

I recently fitted a L Battery using a Willinton kit, and was delighted, as all seemed well.

A couple of weeks later, i know realise that the battery has not been charging, and thus my stereo, blinds and 12 volt supplies dont work. I have had a look over all connectors etc, and all seems secure. How might i resolve this?

Furthermore, yesterday, my Central Locking went down. I am unsure if this relates in any way to the issue above, but any ideas of how i resolve this would be most appreciated.

Many thanks
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Re: Leisure Battery not charging - Central Locking issue

Post by steviebongo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:11 pm

yeah i'm sure the cdl is fed by the lb.can u hear the relay click?and there is a led on top of the relay is it lit?
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:11 pm

Can you here the relay clicking when the engines turned on?, the relay may be faulty or you may have wired it incorectly, may be worth just checking with the fitting diagram.

Maybe worth checking the voltage on your starting battery to see if its getting charge from the alternator, or it could be even fubar
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi,

Check to see if any of the fuses are blown as well in the kit. Make sure they are secure too.

Failing that maybe ask willington, I'm sure he knows the system better than anyone.

They are good kits so be patient, it's all fixable.

Andy
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:16 pm

you should see the voltage go up above 13v across the LB when the relay clicks in with the engine running. Chech the LB earth is secure at both ends.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
doropelu

Post by doropelu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have checked voltage of LB, and its dead.

I have checked fuses and cabling, all seems OK

Please excuse my ignorance, i am new to Bongo's and awful with cars. What is the relay? I can hear no clicking, or can see no LED light in the engine bay/on the kit. What exactly i am looking for.

Any further guidance would be most appreciated.

Kevin
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Kev, if your interior lights etc are wired into your leisure battery, then that's why your central locking is playing up, (same circuit) When your battery is fully charged the CL should work fine. :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm

I'd follow apole's system check first kev... Check the fuses again... Simply replacing a blown fuse won't stop this issue... The battery needs to be fully charged, THEN the fuse replaced. There is too much sudden current draw when the battery is flat for the fuse to cope with, so it simply blows, because the battery is flat. I reckon you should whip the battery out and see if it'll hold a charge, then check fuses.. If the battery seems ok, re-fit it (be sure to let it stand for half an hour after unplugging from the charger) re-connect, start her up and listen for any fuses popping! A quick check of you central locking/interior lights at this stage would show that all is well on that front.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm

doropelu wrote:Thanks for the input everyone.

I have checked voltage of LB, and its dead.

I have checked fuses and cabling, all seems OK

Please excuse my ignorance, i am new to Bongo's and awful with cars. What is the relay? I can hear no clicking, or can see no LED light in the engine bay/on the kit. What exactly i am looking for.

Any further guidance would be most appreciated.

Kevin
The relay is the black box on the bit behind the fuseholder that you fitted to the bulkhead in the enginebay, there should be a green light on it when it's working, which should be within about 30 seconds of starting the engine. Have you checked the 2 fuselinks in the cable, one near to each battery?
Is the main battery charging ok when the engine runs - ie is it going up from 12.something volts to 13.something or just over 14volts?

To get everything working again from the Starter battery you can just pull the wires out of the fusebox from the Willinton Kit (tape them up temporarily) & replace the fuses, just make sure the right ones go back in the right places.

If you stick your location in your profile (click on user control panel, top right of the screen), someone local may be able to help, but it's probably worth giving Willinton a shout if you've checked everything & it still isn't working.
doropelu

Post by doropelu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks again!

I have just taken LB out, and charging it now.

I have checked over all fuses on Kit itself (one near each battery, and four fuses near where is bolts onto the bulkhead. )Its didnt feel like any had popped - the same for the fuse box in drivers foot well - but i guess i will find out when i replace LB.

If this is the problem - from where can i source a replacement fuse?

Kirsty - I think i have identified the relay - i am assuming this is on the willinton kit itself? I cannot see a light - it seems completed uncased - perhaps it is not easy to see a flashing light, that is not flashing because its not working!!

I am in North London, and will ammend my profile now :)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 pm

That's right, the relay is on the Willinton kit, it doesn't flash, just a green led on the top.
The four fuses in the fuseholder won't stop it working, they replace the function of the four fuses in the fuse holder by your right knee in the cab, which is to protect the blinds etc, so they don't affect the battery charging function.
When you say the fuse links "feel alright", not sure how you feel a fuse to check it :? , unclip the case & you'll see whether it's blown or not, not sure where you get these from, email Willinton as to where to get them from if you need. He used to use the large maxi fuses, but the last couple of kits I've got from him have had these fusible link jobbies in.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Just had a reply from Martin (Willinton) re the fuse links
"The main battery fuses are rated at 50 Amps, the holders will except either the strip or midi type fuses which should be available from any auto electrical outlet and most auto accessory stores". He should be contacting you via email Kevin regarding your issue :wink:
doropelu

Post by doropelu » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks Kirsty,

I really appreciate your help with this. =D>

I'll let you know how i get on.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm

No worries, shouldn't be too difficult to sort, if it's a problem with the split charge kit, you'll have no problems with Martin :wink:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm

You have a pm Kevin.

Return to “Techie Stuff”