Southport airshow

Moderator: Muzorewa

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Re: Southport airshow

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 am

Ron Miel wrote:
widdowson2008 wrote:
bigdaddycain wrote:Great pics David... (i was gonna post some till i saw yours!) :oops: Nice vids DBO! =D> ! :D
Too true - not worth the bother of taking a camera if these two are going to be there is it? - Just copy their stuff. Brilliant pics. =D> =D> =D>
I'm feeling bad about my pix, if they really have put off bdc and others from posting theirs - that's a real shame :( Certainly don't mean to show off with them but it is my hobby. Also took binoculars but was so busy taking pix, I didn't use them. Next time, I'll leave the camera behind and use my eyes instead.
Not at all David! [-X I just take snaps mate... There are some very accomplished photographers on here (yourself, muz and pegleg pete spring to mind) You lot carry on blessing our peepers with your insight, i'll try to drop lucky on that elusive magic snap :wink:

P.S. David... I've not had chance to source those bits & bobs yet...I'll know better this coming week with a bit of luck... (you too carlofrede) :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:58 am

[/quote]
I'm feeling bad about my pix, if they really have put off bdc and others from posting theirs - that's a real shame
[/quote]

Don't feel bad at all - personally, I was paying you a compliment on your skills.
I'll not stop posting pics but I can't hope to get to your excellent standard=D> =D> It was a pleasure looking at them.
Steve
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:Not at all David! [-X I just take snaps mate... There are some very accomplished photographers on here (yourself, muz and pegleg pete spring to mind) You lot carry on blessing our peepers with your insight, i'll try to drop lucky on that elusive magic snap :wink:

P.S. David... I've not had chance to source those bits & bobs yet...I'll know better this coming week with a bit of luck... (you too carlofrede) :wink:
Re the pix, thanks. Re the bits and bobs, no rush Steve. Probably off the camping trail for a bit after this current E Anglia trip - rear curtains will be real nice for next year though :)
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:Don't feel bad at all - personally, I was paying you a compliment on your skills.
I'll not stop posting pics but I can't hope to get to your excellent standard=D> =D> It was a pleasure looking at them.
Hi Steve. Thanks again for yours and others comments re the Southport pix. If you really do like aircraft pix, I'll swing from "feeling bad" now to saying that even I am really pleased with my photos of (mainly WWI, inter-war, and WWII) aircraft, from the Shuttleworth Collection Autumn Flying Display, at Old Warden, last Sunday. I'll post a few below so you can see for yourself but the conditions (lighting and cloud formations) were much better for getting good shots than they were at Southport - and no lamp posts or power lines in the way! If anyone wants to see more, let me know and I'll do a special topic on it, after we get home, middle of next week, and when I've unlimited broadband again rather than PAYG dongle or CC Wi-Fi.

BTW, met Wormey (Darren, Debbie and family) at Old Warden - with their really nice purple (nearly aubergine, I thought) on silver, T-reg Freda, with a 321away Montague side conversion. Due to Darren or Debbie usually working w/e shifts, they've never got to any meets, and we were the first other Bongo Fury members they had met (what an intro to the funny farm!!) - so a nice couple of chats were had. Hi Darren and Debbie if you see this - maybe see you around Duxford this coming Sunday, David and Di :)

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Some cracking shots again there David 8) , I can see you've done this before :wink: :lol:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:Great pics David... (i was gonna post some till i saw yours!)
In our defence BDC, it helps to have some good technology. One of the guys at the gliding club was showing me what you could get just by pointing and shooting a seriously capable modern SLR camera with big optical zoom and 'shake management technology'. It was awesome. He pointed it at a dot in the sky that we couldn't be sure was a buzzard or a red kite. The result, with no special work setting up, was a close up of such quality that it could have been used by David Attenborough. Oh, and the pic. told us it was a buzzard. 8)
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 pm

What can you say about pics like that? =D> =D> =D> Don't need words do ya? just look and enjoy.
Of course, the lucky ones are the pilots - they get to fly them.
And the noise is worth a listen don't you think?
I remember an occasion just after WW2 when I was young and living in Sheffield, hearing (or rather feeling) a deep droning sound. Looking up, I saw (and heared) my first Lancaster flying VERY, VERY low. I will never forget that day - EVER.

Having thought about this, The Lancaster incident in Sheffield must have been around 1948/9.

So keep the pics coming - PLEASE
Last edited by widdowson2008 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:17 pm

For a Lancaster, you should have been at Santa Pod earlier this year..... :wink:

widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Muzorewa wrote:For a Lancaster, you should have been at Santa Pod earlier this year..... :wink:

6 Merlin engines - beautiful =D> =D>
Was the Hurricane a Merlin?
Steve
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:49 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
bigdaddycain wrote:Great pics David... (i was gonna post some till i saw yours!)
In our defence BDC, it helps to have some good technology. One of the guys at the gliding club was showing me what you could get just by pointing and shooting a seriously capable modern SLR camera with big optical zoom and 'shake management technology'. It was awesome. He pointed it at a dot in the sky that we couldn't be sure was a buzzard or a red kite. The result, with no special work setting up, was a close up of such quality that it could have been used by David Attenborough. Oh, and the pic. told us it was a buzzard. 8)
Yes, technology can help Mike but it never made a good pic on its own. Before technology you need an eye for subject, lighting, background, composition, depth of field,and so on - and, in the case of vintage aircraft, for example, some feel for the subject, and it's capability. Then there's follow movement and choose the moment. Some of the world's best photographs have been shot with very simple kit, and some of the worst have been shot with heavily marketed, humungous pixel count (which mine isn't), vastly expensive kit, which mine also isn't. I saw any number of bods at Old Warden with lenses almost too big to carry, none of which would have given you much change out of two grand (just the lens that is) - some of them even more. In fact, you could buy a good Bongo for the price of some of the outfits being toted :lol: Focal lengths would have been up to 1000 mm, yet with a relatively cheap and cheerful 20-200 mm zoom, I frequently had to zoom out to get the subject in shot, the display line is so close - so just what were they doing? Checking the colour of the pilots' eyes? No, give me a photographer with a Box Brownie, over a chav with a Nikon, any day [-o<
Last edited by Ron Miel on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:53 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:
Muzorewa wrote:For a Lancaster, you should have been at Santa Pod earlier this year..... :wink:

Ermmm, no idea :oops:

They sounded nice buzzing around up there though :D
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Muzorewa wrote:
widdowson2008 wrote:

Ermmm, no idea :oops:

They sounded nice buzzing around up there though :D
All Hurricanes had Merlin engines. The majority of Spitfires also did, although later Marks had the even more powerful (still a lovely roar) Griffon. OK, I'm an anorak :lol:

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Here's a few from Shuttleworth taken by Richie at the gliding club using his quality gear, and a good eye, for those who fancy a feast of great aircraft pics. Enjoy :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26465928@N ... 35/detail/

As he reminded me when we were chatting back in August, most great pics involve decent gear, plenty of shots, and a good eye for throwing away the ones that didn't work. In the old days it involved using a motor drive. These days it's all digital didgeridoos.

Here's one of his absolutely stunning Red Arrows pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26465928@N ... 740581520/

Whisky Wow Wow 8)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am

Mike, I defo agree that throwing away the duds is key, even for great photographers, let alone competent/not great ones like y.t., and perhaps Richie. His lone Red Arrows shot is great though. However, I submit that I threw away better Shuttleworth Rapide photos, for example, than he did - and does he have a Bongo? :lol:

Cheers, David

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Ron Miel wrote:Mike, I defo agree that throwing away the duds is key, even for great photographers, let alone competent/not great ones like y.t., and perhaps Richie. His lone Red Arrows shot is great though. However, I submit that I threw away better Shuttleworth Rapide photos, for example, than he did - and does he have a Bongo? :lol:

Cheers, David
No Bongo I fear, but an impressive guy in other respects. ex RAF and a yachstsman of no mean ability. On the throwing away front, I think that he - like many these days - simply does his filing online, so that we all get to see his lesser shots whereas we wouldn't get to see yours and mine from the old days of film and print. The point has to be though that good technology gives a good photographer a distinct edge, but it can't make a bad one into a good one if they have no empathy with the subject (which may be as diverse as motorsport, still life, portraiture, landscapes, nature etc. etc.). At the risk of embarrassing him, I've been impressed with Muz's stuff - great results across the various diverse branches of photography. I couldn't do that. :(

Return to “North West”