Severe Flooding in Cumbria - How are you all doing?

Moderator: Muzorewa

Diane
Bongolier

Re: Severe Flooding in Cumbria - How are you all doing?

Post by Diane » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 pm

Nothing major to report in our neck of the woods now thankfully. Driving through Kendal yesterday I could see the river had gone down by about 8 feet or more. What we had here was nothing in comparison to whats happened in the north of the county.
Jamie drove back from Scotland on Thursday night during the worst of the weather and actually got back within 2 mins of what his sat nav predicted. It was a 3 hour (ish) journey driving in wet n windy conditions. He expected the predicted 3 hours to be more like 5 but did really well. I was just glad to see him home after I'd being watching the local news reports. After such a crappy journey, the worst flood he encountered was 2 miles from our house #-o
A friend of ours is a volunteer for the Bay Search and Rescue (Morecambe Bay). They have gone up to Cockermouth as they have an all terrain amphibious vehicle which can get to places that boats and 4X4's cant. They have been assisting with evacuating residents - mainly the elderly and delivering supplies to those in need. When told that Gordon Brown would be visiting they were told to look tidy :? Er hello? You can imagine what the response was :lol: Not sure who it was that told them to look tidy though.

I'm not sure how many bongo owners there are in Cockermouth/Workington area. They are very thin on the ground forum membership wise though. Us and Harry are the only ones to really fly the flag for Cumbria :lol: :lol:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Anyone know if the floods have subsided yet?, might be working there friday and saturday delivering some mobile banks whilst the banks dry out and get refurbished.

The boss "asked me if I would work this weekend, I said depends I am having a family day out sunday (knowing its a weekend job) but he said good its a friday and saturday lift :evil:

Tried to get out of it by saying have any wellies or waders , but the boss said Its ok its dry in the units :twisted:
Diane
Bongolier

Post by Diane » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm

I think the flood water has gone now - sorry - you'll have to go. Although remember you have guests coming on saturday so you'll need to be home in good time :wink:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Di and Jamie wrote:I think the flood water has gone now - sorry - you'll have to go. Although remember you have guests coming on saturday so you'll need to be home in good time :wink:
What time they coming?, I think I will be working till at least 6ish so I will probaly see them when I get home :wink:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm

waycar8 wrote: Tried to get out of it by saying have any wellies or waders , but the boss said Its ok its dry in the units :twisted:
That sort of thing never works!! :roll: I used to work for a firm who paid us all by cheque (when everyone else was being paid straight into their accounts) and the staff collectively asked if we could be paid direct into our accounts, one of the reasons we gave was that it always seemed to be raining on pay day but we had to go out and get wet to pay our cheques in. Did they change the system? Did they 'eck. They had a load of brollies made up with the company name and phone number on and gave us one each (for advertising purposes, no doubt). Still got mine, though. Still useful :lol:
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:33 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
waycar8 wrote: Tried to get out of it by saying have any wellies or waders , but the boss said Its ok its dry in the units :twisted:
That sort of thing never works!! :roll: I used to work for a firm who paid us all by cheque (when everyone else was being paid straight into their accounts) and the staff collectively asked if we could be paid direct into our accounts, one of the reasons we gave was that it always seemed to be raining on pay day but we had to go out and get wet to pay our cheques in. Did they change the system? Did they 'eck. They had a load of brollies made up with the company name and phone number on and gave us one each (for advertising purposes, no doubt). Still got mine, though. Still useful :lol:

Same here, our work clothes have the company name on it, everything from our jumpers to hi vis jackets even our hard hats have it.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:44 pm

you wouldnt believe how much i hope my boss doesnt come up with that one-ive seen his "taste" in clothes - probably not likely though - too tight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rabbitsquasher

Post by rabbitsquasher » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello folks, long time no see or hear...

Just saw Di's threat and thought I'd let you know how we are. The floods were bad, really bad. We've been lucky-ish. The river runs right behind our house and around 40ft underneath us. The floods have moved the river about 30 feet towards us :shock: taking most of the land beneath our back garden with it. There's a water treatment place with an access road, next to the river, on our side of the river, well, the road has gone along with most of the treatment centre. The bridge which once linked our side with the other side of the river has dissapeared spoiling our evening walks and cycle round the block! More sadly a churchground was also severely damaged just the other side of the river from us. If you search for sjjphotograhy on flickr, there's a lot of pictures I have uploaded there. As for us, well, due to the land coming away under us we now have a 1" gap on the ceiling where the extension meets the house and are waiting for someone to come and have a look for us... no rush obviously!
Some have had it rough, very rough, so we do consider ourselves lucky that we are still wearing our own clothes, and we never lost our home, or camper :lol: speaking of which... we're off to the Peak district next week for a few days so look out for us (sorry Di.. gonna swear now) we're in a plain for now white VWT4 which is going great! oooh 35 to the gallon.. oooh storeage.... hehe

Thanks for the concern Di.

Steve
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08 am

rabbitsquasher wrote:Hello folks, long time no see or hear...

Just saw Di's threat and thought I'd let you know how we are. The floods were bad, really bad. We've been lucky-ish. The river runs right behind our house and around 40ft underneath us. The floods have moved the river about 30 feet towards us :shock: taking most of the land beneath our back garden with it. There's a water treatment place with an access road, next to the river, on our side of the river, well, the road has gone along with most of the treatment centre. The bridge which once linked our side with the other side of the river has dissapeared spoiling our evening walks and cycle round the block! More sadly a churchground was also severely damaged just the other side of the river from us. If you search for sjjphotograhy on flickr, there's a lot of pictures I have uploaded there. As for us, well, due to the land coming away under us we now have a 1" gap on the ceiling where the extension meets the house and are waiting for someone to come and have a look for us... no rush obviously!
Some have had it rough, very rough, so we do consider ourselves lucky that we are still wearing our own clothes, and we never lost our home, or camper :lol: speaking of which... we're off to the Peak district next week for a few days so look out for us (sorry Di.. gonna swear now) we're in a plain for now white VWT4 which is going great! oooh 35 to the gallon.. oooh storeage.... hehe

Thanks for the concern Di.

Steve
Great to hear from you. I often think of you (no idea why though! :lol: ). Cripes it sounds like you've been having a lively time what with the floods - sobering stuff :?

Glad you are enjoying the veedub. 35mpg sounds good and I'll bet the extra space is handy. Is it an auto and how does it compare with the Bongo for ease of driving (narrow lanes, handling, parking etc.)?

Best wishes to the family and maybe see you at the Windermere meet in May? 8)
rabbitsquasher

Post by rabbitsquasher » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 am

Well, we were talking about the bongo meet in may. It's the weekend of Sharons 40th hu hum oops didn't let that slip shhhhhhh.... so not sure what we're up to just yet, may pop our heads in though if the powers that be don't mind. The VW is manual 2.0 petrol. Its a high top so plenty of storeage. As for driving, a little bigger than the bongo but still easy. Sharon loves it, especially with the extra storeage. We're thinking of taking her down to the Rhine next year and cycling. Probably somewhere around Boppard. Been many times on my own, time to take the family I guess! I went for the petrol because they are so easy to work on. Plenty of oomph too, sits at 80 all day.... hu meant 70!
I was down in Morecambe a few weeks ago when the timing belt tensioner started to make some weird noises, so popped into the main VW dealer, bought the timing belt kit inc tensioner and belt for 40 smackeroonies and fitted it all at the side of the road, in a layby in 2 hours!

We've done loads of work since buying her, new starter, alternator, service work etc and a bit of body work. Still some to do but starting to look quite good.

Anyway I suppose I better not speak too much about her on this threat or I might get the boot from her master Di!
We're of to Castelton next week for a few days, looking forward to the break. Nice to hear from you too.
rabbitsquasher

Post by rabbitsquasher » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 am

oh and er... original post said I saw Di's threat... haha she's got me quivvering! should've said thread. obviously! Twice!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

rabbitsquasher wrote:oh and er... original post said I saw Di's threat... haha she's got me quivvering! should've said thread. obviously! Twice!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm amazed you're getting 35mpg + plenty of power from a 2l petrol. that is quite an achievement =D>

Still love my old oil burning auto Bongo though :mrgreen:
rabbitsquasher

Post by rabbitsquasher » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:51 am

It's taken a lot of getting to 35mpg, I am time served and this was my era so I'm more at home with these engines. Also pumping the tyres up to 60psi and sticking to 60-65 helps too. When we first got her she was doing around 23 :shock: But the brakes were sticking, the fuel filter blocked etc etc, the gear oil was like foam too! Took a bit of a risk to be honest, but it was low mileage, and as I said before, cheap bits and I know my way round them! :P

Storeage is phenomenal (without the dictionary) Have now sold the trailer and top box as everything goes in and out of sight too. Also holds 20 gallons of fresh water, which brings the mileage back to 27 mpg #-o so we tend to just take a 10 ltr container if we're using a site, or fill it up when wild camping. Had a great wild camp over in the NE on the borders of Scotland way up in a car park at the top of this huge hill somewhere above Newcastle, temp was fine.. we have blown heating 8) until it dropped below -5 and the calor gas froze :lol: #-o so we now have propane!

The VW isn't as pretty as a bongo, admitted, but for a family I think the extra room comes in handy. There's a full side conversion too, I dunno, Bongo's seem to get a bit silly in price when you start looking for kitchens. Not being nose up, just can't afford that kind of money difference between a bongo and a bongo with a kitchen. Having said that, this VW is getting the bank managers eyebrows raised :lol:

Return to “North West”