Seasickness

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Nick65
Supreme Being

Seasickness

Post by Nick65 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 am

My son is a very bad sea traveller and we have to take what is locally known as the "Vomit Gromit" or catamaran from Poole to Cherbourg - I personally don't think it's that bad, but my son last year had his first good crossing by using Travella (Homepathic pills from Nelsons)

What works for you?
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Re: Seasickness

Post by dandemann8 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

FLYING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bongo no more........... ;-(
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:35 am

I put two small bits of plaster (sticky) behind my ears - it seems to work on acupuncture points

I also use wrist bands.

I am not the best sailor but slept through a very rough night on board a diving charter boat in the Pacific - everyone else spent the night on the top deck being very ill - including the guy that had lent me the wrist bands because I could not cope with the rocking of the boat during the previous days.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 am

My son used to use these when he was younger, used them in planes, boats and the car. He was never sick, don't know if it was in the mind or not but he was never sick. :D

http://www.sea-band.com/
Keep the Faith

timmyt
Bongolier

Post by timmyt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi,
I work on pilot boats for a living and regularly go out to sea in 5-6 meter swells and 30-40 knot winds...considerably more on ocassions!
Even though I do this all the time and have sturdy sea legs there is still a good chance i can get sea sick and the same goes for the rest of the crew...there are a few 'tricks of the trade' that get past down by the older,more experienced 'sea dogs' that seem to work...

I NEVER EVER go to sea on an empty stomach!Always eat something...I stand by my conviction of porridge with ground cinnamon and a bit of ground ginger and a little sugar or honey to sweeten....dont know why but this seems to work and is easy on the stomach.Avoid anything greasy or fatty.Bannanas on toast are another good one...but i still add Cinnamon and ginger...it works!Drink plenty of water.

As for the sailing itself try and stay as far towards the bow (front) of the ship as possible and pref near a window or on deck if possible,as high up the ship as you can get.At all costs avoid the aft (rear) end and the lower decks.
If possible try fixing your gaze on a point on the horrizon and stay fixed to it...it helps you mind adjust itself to the continual movement.
At all costs if you are feeling rough DONT lie down and try and sleep it off,you will feel much worse!...get on the deck and get the air into you and fix a point on the horrizon as stated.

Hope this isn't too long winded and by no means am i stating that this will work for definate,i can only pass on my knowledge...the rest is up to you!
Hopefully you will have a safe and steady crossing,Good luck!
Chris
TINCA TINCA

Post by TINCA TINCA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:53 pm

I never used to suffer with seasickness until last year. Ferry crossing from hell. I have been on ferry again and this time I ate lots of crystalised GINGER. Worked a treat.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Crossing the Pentland Firth between Scotland and Orkney I gulped down a can of fizzy orange, had an enormous burp and was good for the duration of the trip - hope thats of help 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Take advantage of the lack of customers in the restuarant and have a slap up meal :lol: :lol:
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:26 pm

technophobe wrote:Take advantage of the lack of customers in the restuarant and have a slap up meal :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Did that many years ago on a ferry back from Jersey. Force 10 winds stopped the earlier ferries from Portsmouth and Weymouth leaving harbour. Eventually a Weymouth ferry got out and picked up everybody for both services - ferry was absolutely packed but only 4 people in the restaurant :lol: :lol: Had a really generous portion of steak and kidney pudding, chips and peas, followed by treacle pud and a pint of Guinness 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Nick,

Around the centre of the vessel should have the least motion, the bows and stern will rise/ fall quite a lot, but there's a pivot point in the middle with less movement.
The problem there is that you're away from the windows, and seeing out is a big help. (I'm guessing you still can't go outside on the crossing?).

I agree on getting food inside you - I like porridge too, and ginger biscuits!

There's research that seasickness is brought on by fear of the unknown. If you can explain how long the journey will be, have distractions available, and don't start loading the kids up with so many wrist bands / potions / remedies that they're feeling scared before they set off, then you might be OK.

No one is safe, the only cure I know works 100% is sitting under an Oak tree :D

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 am

I'm another who's all for plenty of food to ward off the mal de mer. In the highly unlikely event that I do feel queasy, I find fresh air and ready salted crisps sort me out (I usually get the munchies for them, so it's about 4 packets that sort me out). I don't like crystallised ginger but it does work (used it for morning sickness). You can buy ginger tea (ginger & lemon tea I think it is) which is much more palatable. Oh yes, and stay away from diesel fumes.

Have only been seasick once in my life and that was three years ago on the Vomit Comet to Jersey (sorry Nick65), anyway conditions were rough, one engine went down about 20 miles out and they had to drop the speed as a result (don't ask why - I didn't!). We were all confined to our seats for safety reasons and if anyone needed to move they had to put their hand up so a crew member could accompany them to stop them falling over (and sueing, I presume :roll: ). Isaac was also sick (but probably through screaming indignantly as he had to be on someone's lap for three hours). No-one was allowed outside because of the wind either, but once we got to Guernsey we were, thank goodness.

We went into the chemist before our return crossing to see if they had any seasickness prevention medication for tots (Isaac was seventeen months at the time so old enough to fear a return crossing). We were told that the Medised we use as a general medicine for his colds and aches would do as it contains antihistamine. The pharmacist went on to say that any antihistamine would do for us if we already had some (eg for hayfever). Fortunately the crossing home was problem free and we didn't take anything before we left as we saw the forecast and thought we would take our chances with a view to future crossings on the sea-cat. No problems at all.
stilldesperate wrote:No one is safe, the only cure I know works 100% is sitting under an Oak tree :D

SD
I didn't get where I am today by sitting under an oak tree :lol:
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 am

Even the thought of the vomit comet makes me feel queasy :-& , last trip back from St Malo was horrendous, most people seemed to be okish but I had full on sweats & upchucking - very dignified :roll: - didn't dare move.
I had on sea bands & I'd had a nice big starchy meal beforehand & had taken an antihstamine, made FA difference :roll: Trouble is, it's the quickest & most economical way to get to my mate's in Brittany :roll: 5 minutes to the ferry from home, then an hour & a half the other end. I'd still prefer to drive to Dover & get the 2 hour crossing to Dunkirk for under £40 return & do a few hundred miles of sightseeing on the way. I'll be looking at other "slow boat" traditional type ferry options, the motion of the vomit comet & me do NOT get on well together :(
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 am

Been sea sick all my life only one thing works for me.

Stand under a tree.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
stilldesperate
Tribal Elder

Post by stilldesperate » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Alison01326 wrote:
stilldesperate wrote:No one is safe, the only cure I know works 100% is sitting under an Oak tree :D

SD
Isaac Newton got where he is today by sitting under an apple tree :lol:

SD
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:11 pm

stilldesperate wrote:
Alison01326 wrote:

SD
Isaac Newton got where he is today by sitting under an apple tree :lol:

SD
Isaac Newton got where he is today by licking his fingers after he had been handling poisons and heavy metals. Mind you, was probably the sitting under the apple tree that made him forget to wash his hands!!

Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Going Abroad”