Hog Roast Cancelled

Be part of the big one! Over 250 Bongos in 1 field! Live bands and much more! Lickhill Manor, Stourport on Severn, Worcs, Wed 16 to Sun 21 June.

Moderator: Ian

Ian
Supreme Being

Hog Roast Cancelled

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am

Because the catering company I nearly hired suddenly wanted £2,500 up-front, and as we are running out of time, there now will NOT be a hog roast at this year's Bash.

Instead, we are having a mass food-fest, which will take place at 6.30pm at the main marquee. Bring along your own BBQ equipment, stoves, quiches, sandwiches,whatever, and we can have the big coomunal eats before the band comes on.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Re: Hog Roast Cancelled

Post by Triple/R » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 am

Ian wrote:Because the catering company I nearly hired suddenly wanted £2,500 up-front, and as we are running out of time, there now will NOT be a hog roast at this year's Bash.

Instead, we are having a mass food-fest, which will take place at 6.30pm at the main marquee. Bring along your own BBQ equipment, stoves, quiches, sandwiches,whatever, and we can have the big coomunal eats before the band comes on.

Well Ian~i reckon you'll have to have the fire brigade on standbye when muz set's fire to his Barbie :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 am

How come so much Ian :?: Round here several butchers do hog roasts and so do a lot of farmers. None would charge anything like this.

Is this a condition of the site that you use caterers or would it be worth someone doing a trawl round locally. Farmers markets are usually a very good source of a hog roast. Most have one and they are always looking for extra business.

If anyone has any contacts in this area, I could do some liaising since I have been in the outside catering business.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:34 am

My gliding club got the equipment from somewhere and did it themselves, for peanuts. It needs and enthusiastic pyromanianc and carver of course (not me [-X ) :roll:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:07 pm

It is a condition of the camp site that if food is sold, then the correct Health & Safety certification must be provided. The caterers must also stump up for insurance.

£2,500 was for a full menu at £5 per head (2 x servings, plus salad), for 500 people. They wanted advance payment. I tried 3 or 4 other options local to Stourport, but none of them came back to me in time.

If we are going to charge up front, then everything needs to be in place now as we start selling tickets on Thursday. Which is why I cancelled it.
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:20 pm

could you not by pass the rules by selling tickets the band ( with free hog roast )
this way your not selling food,
Any questions asked they food is free they paid for the band,
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 pm

I don't think trading standards or Health and Safety look at the "Marketing" words -you pay to enter and are given a service which includes food - you meet standards - end of discussion!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cabte
Supreme Being

Post by cabte » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Chill It was only an idea :?
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Shame about the Hog Roast but like the idea of a mass food fight though

:lol:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Ian wrote:It is a condition of the camp site that if food is sold, then the correct Health & Safety certification must be provided. The caterers must also stump up for insurance.

£2,500 was for a full menu at £5 per head (2 x servings, plus salad), for 500 people. They wanted advance payment. I tried 3 or 4 other options local to Stourport, but none of them came back to me in time.

If we are going to charge up front, then everything needs to be in place now as we start selling tickets on Thursday. Which is why I cancelled it.
Ah yes. The letter (as opposed to the sense) of Health & Safety kills off another little bit of enterprise. Well done Big Brother =D> =D>

I guess the gliding club doesn't have to bother as its a club, operating on its own premises :roll: .
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Ian wrote: Instead, we are having a mass food-fest, which will take place at 6.30pm at the main marquee. Bring along your own BBQ equipment, stoves, quiches, sandwiches,whatever, and we can have the big coomunal eats before the band comes on.
Sound's just like the Jacobs Join that the N/W Yorkshire crew have done for the last few years. #-o
Lost without my Bongo.
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Can Muz not do the catering #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He does a lovely Frogs leg !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Dabs :P
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 pm

If as you say Ian~the Hog roast was for around 500 people why can't we have a proper catering van selling hot dogs~beefburgers~chips etc; they could come for 1 day of the music night with the bands,say from 11am till 10pm i'm sure any local caterers would jump at the chance~i know there was a caterer there last year (small van) but with due respect it was'nt big enough to cater for 50 people we went once for a cuppa & he'd ran out of milk.

I'm talking about the caterers that go to the Sunday markets for instance~our local Sunday Market (C/Donington) will have probably between 8 & 10 caterers admittedely thousands visit the market but they are there week in week out so must be making a decent profit & i'm talkig about 1 caterer for apprx; 500 people at the bash.
What do you think?
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Triple/R. You are right. But I am in Sheffield, and they are in Worcestershire. I have asked the campsite, and looked online, and even asked a few Stourport based firms, but no joy. If you can find someone willing to come on site, let me know! :D
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

In an emergency for the feeding of the 500 . . . .

You neeed just one man . . . . . .

MUZ!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey

Return to “Bongo Bash 2010”