Scottish Bash 2011

croylo

Re: Scottish Bash 2011

Post by croylo » Sun May 23, 2010 10:11 am

First night of midges this year.
Trying to avoid the midge is futile as they will find you in the east, they are just more prolific in the west.
I would suggest that you move the dates and have the bash before the end of march or after the middle of September.
Suggestions for location from me would be the North East- Huntly, Portsoy, Forres all very bonnie places.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun May 23, 2010 11:03 am

steviebongo wrote:somewhere near to St andrews & Anstruther would be nice ,fantastic chippy there( anstruther),sorry just thinking of my stomach again :lol: :lol: .

cheers stevie
Indeed :wink:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 37&t=39808
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 pm

AFAIK a few of youse have been here and liked it....................

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie ... revid=5523
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
mcbainia
Bongonaut

Post by mcbainia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:59 pm

I quite fancy coming to the 2011 bash but I have to agree with the Midge-Free site. I've just come back from a weekend at the Nevis Range site at Fort William and the Midge were unbearable at night.....so much so that you were confined to your quarters.

I am sure that where ever you go - east or west - as long as there's nearby woodland - there will be midges in their millions. I got bitten alive on a nice warm night only a few weeks back in my back garden ! They are hellish little gets.

I've just realised that this post has no purpose or point that anyone will be interested in...sorry.

Deet, that's what you want to repel the mighty midge - 100% deet - works a treat...it will also repel every other living organism in the world including humans with the slightest sense of smell but hey, it's worth it. There's a point right there....
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it swim
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Usually the midges aren't too bad before the end of May, especially in the East of the country- I think the March to September embargo is a little pessimistic.

I did laugh yesterday when there was a report from the almost disastrous train derailment on the Oban line, train perched over 50 foot drop, a fireball and 60 people having a close escape, and they were going on about the midges! :D
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 pm

No midges in the Scottish Borders, well around the towns anyway. But few decent campsites that I know of that we have not already used. Must be one or two campsites along the east coast that Muz has used which are midge free. Muz were are you. :-k

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:33 pm

On our haggis-hunt at the end of 2008 we were going to use Tantallon Caravan & Camping Park (and it looked good as we drove by) but they were closed, so instead we used Thurston Manor Holiday Home Park near Dunbar which had good facilities and a lot going on even in the middle of winter. A bit pricey though.

On our recent 700-mile trip for fish & chips we just wild-camped in the dogging-capital of Clackmannanshire :roll:
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 pm

No midges in Moray too! It's Great for castles, Malt Whisky (Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Chivas to name a few), beaches, Food (Walkers and Baxters), Fishing, Steam Railway, Heritage railway, Great walking and cycling routes (Speyside way). Campsites could be:

1. Findhorn Bay Holiday Park www.findhornbayholidaypark.com A short stroll from the village itself with Lovely pubs with beer gardens.

2. Findhorns Sands caravan park www.findhornsands.co.uk Situated right next to the beach and near to two great pubs, two restaurants and a chippy.

3. Silver Sands caravan park, Lossiemouth www.silver-sands.co.uk It has a bar and it is a short stroll, along the beach, into Lossiemouth. (5 miles from Elgin).

4. Aberlour Gardens caravan site. www.aberlourgardens.co.uk Situated in the village of Aberlour, home to Walkers (Shortbread/bakers) and close to Glenfiddich (approx. 8 miles) and Macallan (approx. 5 miles) distilleries and the River Spey. There are several pubs and restaurants in the town and it's near to the Craigellachie hotel with an unrivaled selection of whiskies (around 700)!

If we were to visit Moray I could probably get us a few free whisky tours of some distilleries and maybe even a tasting at the Glen Moray distilery in Elgin.
[b]G'day from The People's Republic of the Bongo![/b]

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 pm

.co.uk wrote:If we were to visit Moray I could probably get us a few free whisky tours of some distilleries and maybe even a tasting at the Glen Moray distilery in Elgin.
I would'nt say no to that. =P~ ...Wife will have to drive home though. :lol:
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 pm

We could hire a minibus from Arnold Clark in Elgin. All we need is one nominated driver! Who's volunteering?? :lol: I think there is also a service bus but don't know how frequent it is. It would be easy to find out.

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 pm

The campsite in Aberlour is the most central for the distilleries!

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
mcbainia
Bongonaut

Post by mcbainia » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Silver Sands ! ! That has my vote. I have many a fond childhood memory of that place with a family of about 50 occupying 3 static vans....awesome. And you get to watch the RAF Tornado's flying about too. If the weather is good then that place is excellent - on the down side, if the weather is poor (which it can be from time to time in Scotland) it's a bit of an eat-sleep-go to the bar kind of place...but some would say that's a good thing perhaps ?

Aberlour gardens sounds like a winner too....neither of these places will suffer badly from the dreaded Midge either which is a plus.

But hey, i'm still a newbie and I've never been to a bash before so i'm not sure what is expected. Castles, Malt Whiskey, Shortbread, Baxter's Soup (& pancakes, mmmmm)....sounds like a good call to me !
You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it swim
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Post by steviebongo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

All sounds good Thomas never been up as far as that before ,St Andrews is the closest i've been before or aviemore?,any way sounds a good'n.

cheers stevie
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Does anyone know when this will be or when it is likely to be? I have to submit my holiday request for next year soon. Venue isn't very important at the moment but dates are.

Spirit of Speyside whisky festival, 28 April - 2 May 2011. 8)

www.spiritofspeyside.com

www.thomasgorman.co.uk

Return to “Scotland”