Aire Faire?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Badmiker

Aire Faire?

Post by Badmiker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Can we use the 'Aire's in France in an unconverted Bongo? I'm planning on fitting a cooking unit in the back but would prefer not to have to fit sink and waste water gubbins, so would be doing all wet stuff in a bowl/basin.

I've never campered in France; whenever I've been camping it hasnt been an issue taking the occasional bowl of dishwater etc to the drain. Is it different on an Aire?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Aire Faire?

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Aires in France vary from having a filling station, shops, restaurants and hotels, to just a few wooden benches and a (sometimes dubious! :lol: ) loo.
Just play it by ear - you're never far from the next one anyway 8) :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

A lot don't even have a loo :wink: You're supposed to be completely self sufficient within the vehicle, but saying that I've used Aires without having plumbing, as long as you're sensible about it, it shouldn't be an issue, An onboard loo is a must unless you want to miss out on some of the most amazing locations & risk the (as Franco said) dubious loos that may be provided. Have a look on http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/ the Aires book is a must, especially if you're just going with the flow, means you can aim for the free Aires or whatever requirements are more important also worth getting one of the books that includes all the municipal campsites, very good value for money, often cheaper than some of the Aires that you have to pay for, saw quite a few proper sites that were no morte than 5 euros with hook up 8)
You'll love it, takes a bit of getting used to, but using the Aires (official & unofficial) you can have a fantastic holiday for next to nothing.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Of all the aires I've used in 45 years I have not come across one that does not have a loo (So, I must have been lucky) - Even ones with just the obligatory hole are okay if desperate, but yes, get yourself one just because ...
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Nick65 wrote:Of all the aires I've used in 45 years I have not come across one that does not have a loo (So, I must have been lucky) - Even ones with just the obligatory hole are okay if desperate, but yes, get yourself one just because ...
Are you talking about the roadside services type Aires? Because of all the Aires in villages etc that I've used, very few had toilets, but then I do tend to look for the out of the way kinda places 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
Nick65 wrote:Of all the aires I've used in 45 years I have not come across one that does not have a loo (So, I must have been lucky) - Even ones with just the obligatory hole are okay if desperate, but yes, get yourself one just because ...
Are you talking about the roadside services type Aires? Because of all the Aires in villages etc that I've used, very few had toilets, but then I do tend to look for the out of the way kinda places 8)
I tended to go to a more mainstream sort of place. It was generally because they were near my family and friends houses or villas, so they were a bit better (So to speak), but saying that holes in the floor were still a luxury :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 am

I would agree with the self-sufficiency bit.

Aires de Repos de Camping-Car are designed generally for use by conventional motorhomes with full on-board facilities.

Yes, water and drains may be provided but they are for emptying/replenishment of on-board tanks rather than for general use.
Indeed they are often totally unsuited for such a purpose.

The other thing to remember is that they are not campsites and thus it is non-U to put out tables, chairs and so on.
That's not to say that some don't do exactly that but it is not what aires are for.

Indeed, towed caravans are not allowed on motorhome aires.

Not-withstanding all of the above, the French do tend to have a laissez faire approach - the trouble is that there are also a lot of visitors from a large country to the north who are are not so relaxed!
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am

Nick65 wrote: but saying that holes in the floor were still a luxury :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
This is reminding me of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch (Monty Python).
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Going Abroad”