halogen cooker

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

saltydog

halogen cooker

Post by saltydog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello everybody, this is my first post as I'm a Bongo newbe. Anyway Wifey is looking to buy a halogen cooker, a 1ltr bowl wth an electric heater gadget on top to use in the bongo. I wondered if anyone else uses one, or has done? Having been camping in the past, and found some equipment trips site electrics I wondered if there would be a problem with this?
Thanks,
Salty.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: halogen cooker

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:14 pm

Shouldn't be a problem with the leccy tripping as they're usually quite low power consumption, 1 litre bowl sounds quite small though? sure there isn't a zero in there?
I got a halogen cooker with this in mind as well as using it at home, but mine's a bit big TBH & I wasn't keen on the idea of a big glass bowl rattling around in the back of the bongo.
Got myself a Boaties square frying pan http://www.force4.co.uk/8112/Force-4-Li ... y-Pan.html with a lid which works great as a stove top oven 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
saltydog

Post by saltydog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Yes ,well spotted, Wifey just pointed out it is 7 ltrs, silly me, have never got my head round this euro stuff, still pints and flaggons, gallons and such. Remains to be seen if the glass bowl can survive bongoing!
salty. :P
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I must admit, I no longer use my oven in the house, the halogen oven is soo much better, quicker, cooks more evenly, you can see whats going on & it's dead easy to clean, don't just use it for camping :wink:
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I also use one at home all of the time now 8) :D Should be OK for camping, but is definitely bulky - I'll stick with my mini oven in the van.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Have look on the net for one,we are on our second as the first ones fan conked out and they cannot be replaced, we got the new one a lot cheaper than from JML, it is from a company called coopers.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Got mine from aldi or lidl, 3 year gaurantee & half the price of the JML one at £30 I think. None in ATM though.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello chaps,
Want to get me a halogen oven!!

Problem is, I would want to store it in the bench seat drawer that I have. The drawer is 17cm in height so I'm trying to find one which is smaller than that! Do you think any of your ovens are smaller than 17cm in height? Much obliged for any help :)

Steve
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:14 pm

No way are they less than 17cm high - more like double that.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Ive seen a 7 ltr cooker and think it would be ideal for camping,but not sure of the height,but as Franco says,17cm will be muchl smaller

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 am

Bugger :? Maybe storing it with the parts disassembled...

Do your ovens easily disassemble and if so would separate parts be less than 17cm in height?

Much thanks [-o<
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Right, I've just measured mine :lol:
If you get one with a removable lid, not the hinged lid, and remove it from it's stand, the glass bowl is 17cm high and 34cm wide. However, mine is the 11 litre one (with a 5 litre extension ring) - I haven't ever seen a 1 litre one, that you mentioned in your first post, and would think it would be too small to be of any use.
John
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Franco!
Thanks for measuring :) Good that they disassemble easily then. Going for a 7 litre one. Thanks for help!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”