Cardiff Car Body Repairs - Arches

sniperFM
Bongolier

Re: Cardiff Car Body Repairs - Arches

Post by sniperFM » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:56 pm

please do, if you say it's a good job. i may enquire!
roger

Post by roger » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:16 am

I've a few spots of rust showing and wondered the best way to treat them. £700 you say for the whole hog. does that include repair of the arches and a respray of the whole bongo to the windows??
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:05 pm

The £700 will cover pretty much all of the the rust, untidy paint, scratches and dents (of which there are quite a few). The rust will involve cutting away the inner arch lip, grinding back and replacing with new, custom formed metal, finishing, spraying much of the sides to get a good blend and cover teh other dings etc... He said it'll also be seam sealed to prevent future water ingress.

I imagine it would be a lot less if it were just the arches, but I figured go the whole hog.

I'll let you know how it goes.

D
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:53 pm

After a set back last week (the guy doing the work was struck ill), he's getting on with stuff this week. Slightly worryingly, he's saying that our poor Bongo has had quite a bit of re-spraying done already, much only uncovered now he's cleaned, cut and polished it back.

He said the drivers door and the driver side has had a fair bit of patch up work done. I just hope it hadn't been a major accident or something. I guess at 15 years old, it's probably seen a few dings and perhaps a side scrape - there's no evidence of a major smash.

[-o<
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Well, I got the Bongo back today. It's a hell of a lot more shiny than it was when I left it! The rust has all gone, the arches sorted, seams sealed and it's had a chip protective coating applied.

On the face of things, all looks good. The paint job looks great, but shows up the rest of the original, patch up paint even more. Time will tell if it all lasts. The guy took some pics along the way. A quick glance through them showed a bit more filler than I was expecting, which is a minor concern.

Will take some pics and wait to get the pics of the work in progress from the guy who did the work.

Fingers cross this will keep it rust free for many years to come.
Beyond A to B
Powerslide
Bongonaut

Post by Powerslide » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Watching this thread with interest as our van needs some TLC too and we are quite near Cardiff.

Hope everything comes out up to your expectations!

Ian
sniperFM
Bongolier

Post by sniperFM » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:30 pm

sounds like he did a good job, waiting eagerly for the pics now!... :D
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:20 pm

dom_e wrote:Well, I got the Bongo back today. It's a hell of a lot more shiny than it was when I left it! The rust has all gone, the arches sorted, seams sealed and it's had a chip protective coating applied.

On the face of things, all looks good. The paint job looks great, but shows up the rest of the original, patch up paint even more. Time will tell if it all lasts. The guy took some pics along the way. A quick glance through them showed a bit more filler than I was expecting, which is a minor concern.

Will take some pics and wait to get the pics of the work in progress from the guy who did the work.

Fingers cross this will keep it rust free for many years to come.
Can he not 'MOP' the rest of the bongo's paintwork to blend it in :idea:
Sounds like a good result tho, good luck with it :wink:

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 pm

The rest of the Bongo has been mopped and blends pretty well, but there's still no mistaking the fact that the new paint looks great and the old, a fair bit less great.

It's going to be hard to tell if it's a pucka job, but I'll get the pics off him to show the stages. It certainly looks good and the arches are well and truly sealed - just have to ensure nowt gets into the skins another way.

Will take some pics over the weekend I hope.
Beyond A to B
Dr.Jekyll

Post by Dr.Jekyll » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:44 pm

Filler is OK if done correctly, I would not worry too much - but I too can't wait to see the pictures (and may pop round to have a look in the flesh like... :wink: ).
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Shiny paint

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dom_eggbee ... otostream/

It did have a layer of dust on as well.
Beyond A to B
Powerslide
Bongonaut

Post by Powerslide » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Wow, that looks pretty good dom_e!! =D>

You must be happy with it? I thought the dark, reflecting bit in the pictures were your tinted window, initially, until I sussed out that it was the two-tone line!! :oops:

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Ian
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm

No prob.

Yes - the reflection did give a strange look.

The Bongo does look 100% better although now it's a bit 3 tone - the rear section up to the doors is pretty much all new paint, which is a slightly different colour to the front. I'm not bothered by it, but you do notice in the some light conditions.

I still struggle to understand how to embed images from Flickr, so sorry about the crappy link.

Dom
Beyond A to B
Powerslide
Bongonaut

Post by Powerslide » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi Dom,

Just thought I’d see if you are still happy with your paint job, now its been a couple of months?

If you are, could you post up details of where and who did it please? I think we are going to treat our van for Christmas :D

Thanks

Ian
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Good timing.

In a word, no. :evil: The job looked good, but the rust is back, already! I am not a happy man. I haven't showed the guy who did the job yet (I plan to turn up unananounced) due to lots of other things going on.

I won't slate him too much just yet, but if he doesn't offer to fit properly, I will ensure I don't put any other his way.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Wales/Cymru”