Age, mileage, price conundrum

Rich R

Age, mileage, price conundrum

Post by Rich R » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 am

Morning all

Having enjoyed reading through your posts in recent weeks - very helpful to this Bongo virgin, thank you - I thought it was time to take the plunge and add one of my own! I'm a Borders-based Bongo owner-to-be and am currently grappling with the probably familiar question of what makes for a sensible combination of price, mileage and age (ideally for a 2.5TD AFT). It's blimmin' difficult! We'd rather buy in Scotland and don't mind spending a little more for the right vehicle (and from someone reputable). We've spotted a contender at Dairsie Autopoint in Fife, plus plan to get over to Kilmarnock (4x4 Direct) to check out the dealer there. Just wondered if there were others we should also consider?

Many thanks!
Rich R
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Age, mileage, price conundrum

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:27 am

Age and mileage are less important than condition and price.

I wouldn't pay a lot for a young, low mileage example that hasn't been maintained properly, just because it was new and had a low mileage.

But I would buy an older, higher mileage one that has been properly looked after.
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 am

I got mine from Dicksons of Perth. They have a few low mileage vehicles. Mine had 19,500 on it when I bought it and it was in showroom condition. Most of there stock was un-converted though. They do have a website you could check out first. http://www.dicksonsmotorgroup.co.uk
[b]G'day from The People's Republic of the Bongo![/b]

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
cozmo1589
Bongolier

Post by cozmo1589 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:40 am

scanner wrote:Age and mileage are less important than condition and price.

I wouldn't pay a lot for a young, low mileage example that hasn't been maintained properly, just because it was new and had a low mileage.

But I would buy an older, higher mileage one that has been properly looked after.
Aside from mechanics also consider age when it comes to bodywork and the vehicles underside.
There are many Bongos out there, i am on my second, look at (at the very least) 4 or 5 before buying, look for good solid mechanics and evidence of service and maintainance history but go over the body work with fine tooth combe. There are loads out there which are rusting. Stay well clear of anything with rust bubbles and a corroded underside. Despite various claims of the Bongos country of origin not using salt on their roads, vehicles still get wet and metal rusts. I have had a 1995 Bongo with no rust i now have a 1999 Bongo again with no rust at all but in my journey to buying each vehicle, i viewed older and newer vehicles that were rotten. Good luck with your search.
ML 270 CDi
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:08 pm

We bought ours from Campercraft in Kelty. Likewise we wanted to buy in Scotland as it was more convenient for us. Bill at Campercraft was a great source of knowledge on what to look out for when we were looking for ours.

Paul
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
Rich R

Post by Rich R » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:22 pm

That's brilliant, a big thank you to everyone for the very helpful replies. We have been looking at a 97 2.5TD AFT (unconverted) with 84k on the clock. It looks fantastic (inside, outside and underneath) but being new to Bongos we flinched slightly at the mileage. Maybe for a Bongo in good nick that kind of mileage is nothing?

Anyway, we will continue our careful search. I wasn't aware of Dicksons of Perth, so will definitely add them (and Campercraft) to our list of places to check out. Hope to be back with you soon as a fully paid-up Bongo owner!

Thanks again
Rich
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:02 pm

Rich R wrote:We have been looking at a 97 2.5TD AFT (unconverted) with 84k on the clock. It looks fantastic (inside, outside and underneath) but being new to Bongos we flinched slightly at the mileage. Maybe for a Bongo in good nick that kind of mileage is nothing?
Is that miles or KM's?

We bought our '98 "R" tintop in September 2007 with just that MILEage (not Km's) on the clock - it's now on 140,000 miles and the only (serious) replacement parts have been the front dampers.

If it is Km's that is no "mile"age at all for a 13yr old vehicle. Even if it is miles, it's only 6,500 miles pa just over half the average.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 pm

scanner wrote:Age and mileage are less important than condition and price.

Wise words.

That indeed is the bottom line.

Very few fresh imports make it over with any history but those that have been here for a few years & carefully loved should have a fair bit of paper evidence to back up servicing & new parts being fitted. A fat folder is a good sign & at least gives you an idea of whats Not likely to give future problems.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I would not know, I bought my Bongo almost 4 years ago from Jal in Worcestershire. At that time there were few Bongos for sale in Scotland and the prices tended to be quite a bit higher than in Scotland than down south. I went in Blind as a bat but struck lucky. Phil at Jal may be a pain to deal with but he values his reputation and sold me a good Bongo when it was still on the dockside in Japan.

Welcome to the growing band of Scottish Border Bongos, yours will be the 7th that Border based Bongo that I know of if you get one.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Theedjit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Theedjit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi there,

New to the bongo scene myself and managed to pick up a 96 4wd aft in Hawick for not bad money. It had 154k Km on the clock, wasn't the cleanest inside but absolutely no rust. Have spent a wee bit on it, had it undersealed and serviced at Campercraft at Kelty. Toiling with replacing the radiator and hoses etc, more as a precaution. Drives really well for a 14 year old vehicle, can't stop smiling when I drive it.

As the more experienced people say avoid the rust and even if its a bit older and higher mileage its probably the best bet in the long run.

Good luck
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 pm

That must either be a one off or a private sale. No Bongo dealers in Hawick that I know about.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:21 pm

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

We bought ours from Bongo Bill at Campercraft.
We thought Dairsie was a bit over priced and Bill is very helpful. But make sure he does what he says he will do to the Bongo. The one we brought from him was immaculate underneath (we saw it before he waxoiled it)
The mileages do tend to be high but that is because of their age.
We love our Bongo which has remained unconverted because of the way we use it as a workhorse and large extended family people carrier.
Chrissy
Theedjit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Theedjit » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Yea, sorry to mention that it was a private sale.
Theedjit
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Theedjit » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Richard,

I went into dairsie about a month ago and told the owner that I wasn't in the market just now but hoped to be soon. He was most unhelpful, wouldn't even open one up to let me see inside and when I asked him how many he shifted his answer was one at a time. Again it all depends on your budget and if you want converted or not. As one of the post said the place in Perth has a couple unconverted. I have also spoke to the guy at Kilmarnock and he seems genuine and his vans come with a warranty.

Let me know how you go.

John

Return to “Scotland”