Spanish trip

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

gasace
Bongolier

Spanish trip

Post by gasace » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip to Spain this summer, we have booked our campsite in Spain, and now need to book 3 nights for the journey, 2 on the way down and 1 on the way back. Does anyone know a campsite near Beauvais France? and Clermont - Ferrend France? and Bourges France? We need 1 night in each place, we would like somewhere with a cafe/ restaurant so we don't have to unpack everything to get to the cooker.

Many Thanks

John & Kathy
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Re: Spanish trip

Post by Bin Bongoed » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 pm

France is a big country, campsites or aires usually good standard. Suggest you just look for a site wherever you feel like stopping. We did over 2 months in France last year, never booked a site in advance, and found only one naff site near Paris and that was good enough for one night, admittedly we-re talking May-July
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Have you got a satnav? If so download Archies Campings onto it - invaluable POI's. It has over 5,000 French campsites and you can also download the one for Europe. What we did last year was, when we wanted to stop at a campsite we just went into the POI's for Archie's campings and it gave you every campsite within a 20 km radius (approx), telling you if it was a municipal or whatever stars the site was in most occasions. Hardly had to look at a camping book!
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:49 pm

We are hoping to got to Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic this year. Can you get Sat Nav campsite downloads for them. I know a lot of people think that most irish campsites are phants and that the wild camping is fabulous. But trying to get my June to camp wild is easier said than done.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm not sure but Archies Campings have downloads for Northern Europe as well as the whole of Europe so I'm sure Ireland will be in there! It really is a marvellous POI - free unless you want to make a donation - kept up-to-date and used by thousands!
pippin

Post by pippin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I would agree with the comment regarding France.

There are just so many places to camp that you are never more than a few kilometres away from one.

An Aire (de Repos de Camping-Cars) might not suit a Bongo if you need facilities or to put out a tent or tables/chairs.

A Camping Municipal is usually the best way to go. Cheap and cheerful usually.
clummzie
Bongolier

Post by clummzie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm

We've taken one of these the last few years and it's invaluable and takes the panic not having pre-booked.

Return to “Going Abroad”