France in July/August

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

clummzie
Bongolier

France in July/August

Post by clummzie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi,

Our little boy starts school this year so no more out of season 3 week trips in September :(
We like to be flexible and not book anything (campsites that is not ferries!) but are aware that July/August are the busiest periods.

Any suggestions or experience as to areas that might not be too busy in peak times - ideally looking for nice weather and water (lakes or sea) and possibly even mountainous.

I guess the Mediterranean is completely out?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: France in July/August

Post by Velocette » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:54 pm

clummzie wrote:Hi,

Our little boy starts school this year so no more out of season 3 week trips in September :(
We like to be flexible and not book anything (campsites that is not ferries!) but are aware that July/August are the busiest periods.

Any suggestions or experience as to areas that might not be too busy in peak times - ideally looking for nice weather and water (lakes or sea) and possibly even mountainous.

I guess the Mediterranean is completely out?
July isn't too bad, August is very busy because so many French take the whole month off, We have often gone to a Campsite in Ste Aulaye, near Ste Foy la Grande and you can swim or canoe in the Dordogne which is 50 yards away. We went last year with the Bongo and loved it. great for cycling or walking too, mostly flat and very little traffic on the back roads
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 pm

We travelled through Spain and France during August last year(including Pyrenees, French South coast, Dordogne and Loire), staying at a different campsite almost every night. Didn't have any problems at all getting into sites without booking. But, we chose the last 2 weeks of August.
Two tonne tin drum
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:04 pm

dvisor wrote:We travelled through Spain and France during August last year(including Pyrenees, French South coast, Dordogne and Loire), staying at a different campsite almost every night. Didn't have any problems at all getting into sites without booking. But, we chose the last 2 weeks of August.
At one time French sites used to have to have x number of pitches for overnight stops but may no longer be the case. I've never failed to find anywhere either.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
clummzie
Bongolier

Post by clummzie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for the replies.
July sounds like the most sensible time so might well just go for it and see what happens.

Mmm, cheese and red wine....
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

A very beautiful region with lakes and forests and hills is the Limousin... We go there every year as my mother has a house there. Very few English people around and not touristy at all. Lovely lakes to swim in. The weather is variable as it's in the middle of France. Personally, I prefer it to the South in the summer as the South is crammed with people and beaches cost to go on etc..

La-Creuse is a beautiful spot in the Limousin :)
I love cheese!
clummzie
Bongolier

Post by clummzie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm

umbongocat wrote:A very beautiful region with lakes and forests and hills is the Limousin... We go there every year as my mother has a house there. Very few English people around and not touristy at all. Lovely lakes to swim in. The weather is variable as it's in the middle of France. Personally, I prefer it to the South in the summer as the South is crammed with people and beaches cost to go on etc..

Sounds great, our main aim is to avoid the crowds!

Hope the...ahem..cough..toilet was OK?! :oops:
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm

clummzie wrote:
umbongocat wrote:A very beautiful region with lakes and forests and hills is the Limousin... We go there every year as my mother has a house there. Very few English people around and not touristy at all. Lovely lakes to swim in. The weather is variable as it's in the middle of France. Personally, I prefer it to the South in the summer as the South is crammed with people and beaches cost to go on etc..

Oh it's you we bought it off... we've not used it yet, in fact, it's still sitting in the lounge as I type.. . :oops: :oops: :oops: Meant to be for meets without facilities :P Or for the festivals and when we have the little ones with us :) We're definitely having a number 1 only rule tho and [-X [-X number twos!

Well, if you're looking to avoid crowds I would definitely look into La-Creuse region of the Limousin.. it's still unspoilt and fairly unknown to the English. Are you looking to camp in the bongo?

Also know of a beautiful campsite in the Ardeche up on the hills away from the touristy bits. Lovely rivers to swim in. Not sure if it's still going as Jean Pierre the owner was talking of retiring this year.

There's lots of lovely spots if you know the country. PM if you want more info :)
I love cheese!
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 pm

The Dordogne and Loire are also very pretty but La-Creuse Limousin is similar but not as well known to tourists which makes it fab.
I love cheese!
clummzie
Bongolier

Post by clummzie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

umbongocat wrote:
clummzie wrote:

Oh it's you we bought it off... we've not used it yet, in fact, it's still sitting in the lounge as I type.. . :oops: :oops: :oops: Meant to be for meets without facilities :P Or for the festivals and when we have the little ones with us :) We're definitely having a number 1 only rule tho and [-X [-X number twos!

Well, if you're looking to avoid crowds I would definitely look into La-Creuse region of the Limousin.. it's still unspoilt and fairly unknown to the English. Are you looking to camp in the bongo?

Also know of a beautiful campsite in the Ardeche up on the hills away from the touristy bits. Lovely rivers to swim in. Not sure if it's still going as Jean Pierre the owner was talking of retiring this year.

There's lots of lovely spots if you know the country. PM if you want more info :)
Hehe, bit cold yet to have used it yet I guess! Just wanted to make sure you were happy with it.

Will check out the Limousin region, never even heard of it that's how much I know about France in general!! :oops:

Yep, definitely looking at a Bongo holiday again this year but just don't fancy driving all the way to Spain, our preferred destination as I speak a little Spanish.

Love the sound (and the pics) of the Ardeche but always assumed it was tourist hotspot in summer.

Thanks again but may well bend you ear in the near future as we get closer to ferry bookings and the holiday bug bites. :)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 pm

If you do go to Limousin, try to get to Oradour Sur Glane. It will leave a lasting impression. No books or pictures could convey it the same. Maybe not what you want to see on holiday, but still one of the most memorable sights we saw.
Two tonne tin drum
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm

The Tarn Gorge area is gorgeous, not touristy and very scenic. Loads and loads of river fun, great weather and that "French" feel. Not too many Brits.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... CN0418.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... CN0504.jpg
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... CN0457.jpg
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm

clummzie wrote:
Hehe, bit cold yet to have used it yet I guess! Just wanted to make sure you were happy with it.

Will check out the Limousin region, never even heard of it that's how much I know about France in general!! :oops:

Yep, definitely looking at a Bongo holiday again this year but just don't fancy driving all the way to Spain, our preferred destination as I speak a little Spanish.

Love the sound (and the pics) of the Ardeche but always assumed it was tourist hotspot in summer.

Thanks again but may well bend you ear in the near future as we get closer to ferry bookings and the holiday bug bites. :)
No, never too cold.. :) We camped only last week in North Wales... true there was Ice in the morning and I did think the loo would have come in handy... :)
I love cheese!
DE-OGZ

Post by DE-OGZ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 pm

We went to La Rochelle, Orleans, and Honfleure for a couple of weeks last August and didnt have too much difficulty booking sites on the day.

We did find, however that a lot of sites 'said' they were full on the way in but had loads that were empty for one night and let you move to a more permanent pitch the next day.

Other areas to consider - The Alsace is very pretty and quite cultural (its great going into the pubs, or winstub's and seeing quite a limited food menu but lists and lists of BEER =D> )
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 am

Herault is a good place to be based - You've got small mountains (The end of the Massif Central), some easy ones to climb like Pic St Loup

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=pic+st ... 40&bih=785

Rivers to swim in like L'Herault or go up the road to Nimes and swim under the arches of Pont du Gard or canoe through the ravines and then have a picnic on the river banks.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=pont+d ... 40&bih=785

Lakes - You've got Lac du Salagou

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=lac+du ... 40&bih=785

Med. is close by. Shopping is superb. Food is wonderful. Weather is fab.

Camping in L'Herault is very good, but to be honest I wouldn't really go with out booking in the heat of Summer, but then again that's just me. How about the sort of camping where you stay on a farm etc, where there are no facilities, but you have got a cheap affordable way of doing it.

Return to “Going Abroad”