New flooring

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

hatris
Tribal Elder

Re: New flooring

Post by hatris » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Dave like it. Good choice of colour to go with your cupboard unit. Well done, smart job. Trish
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 pm

I must admit Trish the choice of colour and pattern was not my first choice originally. [-X
I asked BDC to come with me to have a look, straight away i could tell, my original choice was not good. :shock:
Ste in his usual manner, said lets have a think about this for few minutes, his polite way of saying my choice was crap :oops:
We found the same door colour that i used in the kitchen unit and matched them side by side.
We both eventually decided on the lino that i now have in the bongo (well, Ste decided, I had no option really [-X :wink: )
Lost without my Bongo.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

OY don't blame me! [-X [-X [-X I like how the floor "ramps" to the rear... :-" :-" :-"
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:52 pm

thinking i might tackle this 'little' job this week (maybe) :roll: :roll: how did you make the floor ramp down at the back?. is that piece separate and then the gap just filled with sillicone or something. also, do i just need 1 sheet of ply which i think is 8' x 4' and should i get it cut in half at the timber merchants (into 2 of 4' x 4' pieces). still not decided whether to go for lino or carpet?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:43 am

8etty 8ongo wrote:thinking i might tackle this 'little' job this week (maybe) :roll: :roll: how did you make the floor ramp down at the back?. is that piece separate and then the gap just filled with sillicone or something. also, do i just need 1 sheet of ply which i think is 8' x 4' and should i get it cut in half at the timber merchants (into 2 of 4' x 4' pieces). still not decided whether to go for lino or carpet?
The ramp is a separate piece that was shaped to fit, filled the gap with bathroom silicon i think then fitted gaffa tape over the joints.
As for the size of ply needed, i dont know if one 8'x 4' is enough, i didn't use that size, i went to a local pallet maker and he sells ply sheets 30 inches x 40 inches for 50 pence each and i bought £3 worth (6 sheets) and i used two layers glued and screwed together for strength, smaller sheets easier to cut and use inside the bongo.
Lost without my Bongo.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 am

One sheet of 8x4 is easily enough for flooring the bongo.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 am

daveblueozzie wrote:
8etty 8ongo wrote:thinking i might tackle this 'little' job this week (maybe) :roll: :roll: how did you make the floor ramp down at the back?. is that piece separate and then the gap just filled with sillicone or something. also, do i just need 1 sheet of ply which i think is 8' x 4' and should i get it cut in half at the timber merchants (into 2 of 4' x 4' pieces). still not decided whether to go for lino or carpet?
The ramp is a separate piece that was shaped to fit, filled the gap with bathroom silicon i think then fitted gaffa tape over the joints.
As for the size of ply needed, i dont know if one 8'x 4' is enough, i didn't use that size, i went to a local pallet maker and he sells ply sheets 30 inches x 40 inches for 50 pence each and i bought £3 worth (6 sheets) and i used two layers glued and screwed together for strength, smaller sheets easier to cut and use inside the bongo.
ok thanks, how did you shape it? i have a jigsaw (i think) which i have used before :D have seen the lino i want but tempted to go with carpet as this i think will cover all the mistakes im likely to make. also i dont want to cut into the side panels so can i just but up to them or will that not work (this is where i think carpetwill look tidier). have looked at the factsheet and think i know what im doing. going to start it on tuesday when i can get the play.
also...if i do have to cut into the side panels, what should i use.
thanks
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:56 am

Dodgey wrote:One sheet of 8x4 is easily enough for flooring the bongo.
thanks, thought so but just wanted to check :D
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 pm

The Jigsaw is your friend. None of the "shaping" is tricky. My advice is to grab a large amount of cardboard and you can then, with scissors and tape, make a template for the "top"/"front"! half - to draw around on the plywood. You can do the same for the bottom end too. That's how I did it.

I have read on this forum that the side panels will go back on without the need for trimming IF you make sure you don't lift the ply up any further than absolutely necessary. IF you use 15mm blocks, as per the fact sheet, you will most certainly have to trim the side panels.

BTW - trimming the side panels is far easier than you'd think.

Also - if your floor only butts up to the side panels you'll have to do some very very accurate cutting of the ply to make it neat - then again, as long as you are close, and you are using carpet, you could tuck the carpet under the side panels and no one woulde ever know - which is what you are thinking of ! :-)
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Dodgey wrote:The Jigsaw is your friend. None of the "shaping" is tricky. My advice is to grab a large amount of cardboard and you can then, with scissors and tape, make a template for the "top"/"front"! half - to draw around on the plywood. You can do the same for the bottom end too. That's how I did it.

I have read on this forum that the side panels will go back on without the need for trimming IF you make sure you don't lift the ply up any further than absolutely necessary. IF you use 15mm blocks, as per the fact sheet, you will most certainly have to trim the side panels.
BTW - trimming the side panels is far easier than you'd think.

Also - if your floor only butts up to the side panels you'll have to do some very very accurate cutting of the ply to make it neat - then again, as long as you are close, and you are using carpet, you could tuck the carpet under the side panels and no one woulde ever know - which is what you are thinking of ! :-)
will get the carpet and everything out on tuesday and see what i have, maybe i will go with 12mm ply then. really dont want to have to cut the sides. what did you use to cut the sides??
also, am going to go with lino as i want to then buy the bongo mat set that will sit on top pf the lino so that i have a choice - lino for day trips to the beach etc and carpet/matting for longer trips where comfort is the key. am excited now as think i know what im doing :D :D
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I used a jigsaw and electric sander to make the sloping panel, i didn't want the ply to end suddenly at the back of the bongo ,some do and just fit a piece of alloy angle to hide the edge.
I stopped about 8 inches short of the rear of the bongo with the ply floor to be able to make the slope.
If you look at my pics you will see i didn't take the side panels off, no need, once you take the old carpet out it leaves a gap under the side panels, i made cardboard templates first, then cut the ply to size, there was plenty of room for the underlay and lino to fit under the side panels making it neat and tidy.
Take your time and make sure you lay any wiring down first, i even added a couple of wires from the front to the back just in case i might need them at some time (not connected to anything but labeled)
Last edited by daveblueozzie on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost without my Bongo.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:44 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:If you look at my pics you will see i didn't take the side panels off, no need, once you take the old carpet out it leaves a gap under the side panels, i made cardboard templates first, then cut the ply to size, there was plenty of room for the underlay and lino to fit under the side panels making it neat and tidy.
Take your time and make sure you lay any wiring down first, i even added a couple of wires from the front to the back just in case i might need them at some time (not connected to anything but labeled)
Wiring?????? are you having a laugh???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [-X [-X sorry but that is soooooo beyond me, its not even funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll:
but thanks for the info about the panels :D - thats what i thought - take up the floor and see what room in terms of mm i have to play with and then go with the best size ply for the job - would pref the 15mm but then i also need to take into account the mm of the lino - im sure it will all be fine once i get going - just need to find my jigsaw - not seen that for a while :roll: :roll: . will do it when hubby has gone to work so he cant try and talk sense in to me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ahh roll on tuesday and can i have some dry weather please [-o< [-o<
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Don't forget a bit of underlay first, the foam type that goes under laminate flooring, stops the wood squeaking on the bare metal and gives a bit of insulation, one pack is enough for under the ply floor and on top of the floor.
Lost without my Bongo.
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:53 pm

righto thanks, think we might have some of that.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Well it sounds like you wont have to cut the sides. I did it with my jigsaw. You have to be pretty confident using it as you end up running the saw over curved surfaces which means at times the blade is not long enough and kicks out. No harm but frightening if you are not ready for it.

As for ply . I used 12mm as thats all wickes had. If you have a timber merchant near by - which is almost a certainty, go there . It will be not far off half the price of b&q or wickes. One sheet will fit in the bongo with a bit of a jiggle.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”