110v to 240v conversion on original factory fitted kitchen.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

briwy
Supreme Being

Re: 110v to 240v conversion on original factory fitted kitch

Post by briwy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Paul, yes the mains hook up should charge the battery.

If you have a voltmeter connect it to the battery and see if the voltage increases slightly when you are hooked up. If it does then it will be charging. If not then it isn't.
PaulF

Post by PaulF » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 am

thanks, thats what i thought but sadly i didnt have the test meter at the camp site. It does increase the voltage slightly when the engines running...... will have to check it when i can 'plug it in' next!

thanks a lot anyway.

Cheers,

Paul
PaulF

Post by PaulF » Sun May 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Brian, i am despairing now. I bought a 'hook-up' which i can plug in at home and did a few tests...... It appears that, not only is the mains hook-up not charging the leisure battery but if i disconnect the leisure battery whilst ive got the fridge & interior lights etc on (and the hook-up is still connected) everything stops working, suggesting that they are all still working off the leisure battery despite the new hook-up being connected. At least i can use the toaster from our new240 socket i suppose!!!
Any ideas, suggestions etc gratefully recieved as ever.
Regards,
Paul F
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sun May 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Paul.

I think that is correct. The fridge etc is only 12v and will run from the leisure battery regardless of whether or not it is connected to the mains.

If you still think that the mains isn't charging make sure that the big switch just inside the front door on the kitchen unit is turned on. This puts the mains through to the charger unit. If it is, try and check for mains voltage all the way through and then check that low voltage is coming out of the charging system.

Hope that helps,
Brian
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Hello Bongos,
Is anyone interested in converting my factory kitchen to 240v? I can't even a wire a plug you see so no way I'll take on the work myself. I will happily pay anyone who can help me!! :P
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Hello Bongos,
Is anyone interested in converting my factory kitchen to 240v? I can't even a wire a plug you see so no way I'll take on the work myself. I will happily pay anyone who can help me!! :P
Hi,where on the map are you,it could help getting assistance,or are you a real digitalgypsy :D
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:24 pm

teenmal wrote:
Hi,where on the map are you,it could help getting assistance,or are you a real digitalgypsy :D
Hey Teenmal,
Think I'm some way from you down in Portsmouth. You're in Lancashire no? I am indeed a digital gypsy...venturing the plains with my laptop and Bongo! I'd happily make the trip up to you if you think you can maybe help...can pay you for your time. I did contact one garage and they quoted me £545 which seemed insane!

Do you have the factory kitchen in your Bongo?
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh also...
I came across this UK mains adapter being sold by AVA Leisure: http://mazdabongo.com/display.products72d1.html?pId=465

I have no problem running on 110v appliances in my Bongo (my laptop accepts 110v), I just want to be able to charge the leisure battery from the UK campsite hook-up. Anyone know if the above adapter would be suitable for converting the campsite 240v down to 110v?

Thanks bongos :)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:45 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:. Anyone know if the above adapter would be suitable for converting the campsite 240v down to 110v?

Thanks bongos :)
No - it's just so you can plug it in to a household socket, rather that the hook-up point.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:
teenmal wrote:
Hey Teenmal,
Think I'm some way from you down in Portsmouth. You're in Lancashire no? I am indeed a digital gypsy...venturing the plains with my laptop and Bongo! I'd happily make the trip up to you if you think you can maybe help...can pay you for your time. I did contact one garage and they quoted me £545 which seemed insane!

Do you have the factory kitchen in your Bongo?
Hi,no,I am in North Lanarkshire Strathclyde Bonnie Scotland,did you not recognise the accent. :lol:
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 am

Hello all, I am back again with more questions #-o ...

I am having my factory kitchen transformed to 240v as well, 'stilldesperate' on here has kindly offered to help me. We have determined that we'll need the original hook-up cable that comes with the factory kitchen. Has anyone got any ideas at all where I can get hold of such a cable??

My Bongo has already got the socket on the side of the van. I think we have decided that we don't want to go through the drama of making a whole in the side of the van. Iain (stilldesperate) has advised that I try and get hold of one of the original hook-up leads. I hope I'm explaining this properly! :P

Any pointers in the right direction for said cable, much appreciated! :)
Rhod
Tribal Elder

Post by Rhod » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Digital gypsy
I don't have a complete lead, but I do have a spare plug from an original lead (ie the plug which fits into the original Mazda socket on the outside of the van, once you unscrew the cover). This plug is all you actually need, since you'll want to wire it onto a standard hook-up lead in place of the normal UK plug.

If you PM me with your address, I'll post it to you.

Say hi to Iain for me - we met up a few years back.

Rhod
96' Green AFT 4WD / BMW R100GSPD
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 pm

did you put in a battery charger???????????????
GARYSCRIVEN
Bongonaut

Post by GARYSCRIVEN » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

Hi there, how much would you charge to do this to my van i have the transfomer from maplins but have it outside which is no good when it rains,it look excellent and would like this done to my van many thanks gary

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”