engine temperature fluctuates

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mickeymonkey

engine temperature fluctuates

Post by mickeymonkey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 pm

I hope someone can give some advice. My engine temperature gauge will suddenly go from normal up to hot then stay there for a short time (minutes) then go back to normal. I have only had the Bongo a short while and have done no long runs yet so have only noticed this pattern when doing about up to 20 miles. So go say ten miles from cold position to normal then suddenly peaks to hot then drops off and moves around a little but keeps generally near to normal mark. Heater takes quite a long time to warm up as well probably at least 6 to 8 miles. Thanks for any help anyone may be able to give.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: engine temperature fluctuates

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Sounds like classic symptoms of having an airlock in the cooling system. Don't drive it any further, take a look for Bleeding a Bongo on here and you will find links to videos etc on how to do it. If you have only just bought it then you might want to consider - did the seller know ?

See this thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... os#p449944 and many others like it, you may have to consider if the head has also been damaged :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Moved from Going Abroad to Techie - you're more likely to get a reply there 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Have you checked the water level in your header tank?
A heater that slow would, as Geoff says, indicate an air lock.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

as above,and it could be a dodgey temp sender.
the heaters sound normal (ish), maybe a good idea to get the cooling system checked and the stat replaced.
mickeymonkey

Post by mickeymonkey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Spherical Vision I see you are located Worthing, so am I and wonder if you know anywhere I could get the checks run locally and work done if necessary.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Well we have a V6 which isn't quite as prone to the problem of overheating heads, but I suspect airlocks are just as much a problem when the coolant is changed.
To date we have been using Park Crescent Garage in Clifton road, but they have never yet needed to replace the coolant, but I suspect that this year it will be necessary ! They do look after other Bongo's including diesels, but not seen anyone comment on them in the forum here. The other nearest garage I know off is County Cars in Portslade and they do indeed know Bongo's well as they seem to have quite a stock of them for sale http://www.countycarssussex.co.uk/ and several people on the forum do use them.

But please heed the warnings about overheating, it takes only a few seconds to damage the heads on a diesel it would seem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

how long have you had the car? if it has the temp guage mod it does go up and down according to load!!

The moral of the story is, if you have the temp guage mod done and you take your car in for work, let the garage know!! as a temp guage going up past normal position causes early aging!! :wink:
Julian

Return to “Techie Stuff”