Who is going away this year?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Re: Who is going away this year?

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am

We will be taking the Bongo to the Western Isles for a spring week (pre midge) and then later in the summer Bongo will be left behind as we head off in our MX5 around Bavaria with a tent. (at least that is the plan). However the last time we headed to Luxembourg we ended up in the Alps and then the Med, so who knows?
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:55 am

If you are heading that direction, it's worth a day going down the Mosel from Koblenz towards Luxembourg. Fantastic scenery, good wine, and cheap fuel at the end of it if you go into Lux.

Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 am

Dave that takes me back, I was on a bus trip to a Christmas market a few years ago and we stayed in a little village on the Mosel. Apparently, according to one of my fellow travellers, the river is amazing! It flows in two directions, on the near bank it flowed down and on the far bank it flowed up. :shock: She hadn't quite grasped the fact that boats can power their way up rivers #-o #-o
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:27 pm

We're off to the Port Grimaud in Southern France for two weeks in September. We're planning on taking the ferry from Dover to Calais, going for a day/night at Eurodisney (apparently there's the possibility to sleep in the camper in the Eurdisney car park) then will find a few municipal campsites to stop at en-route to Port Grimaud where we will use a static caravan for a week or so.

Before then we intend joining in on some of the Bongo meets :P
Bongo Gymreig
gasace
Bongolier

Post by gasace » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 pm

we are driving down through France in August, 2 stops we will be taking our dog and towing a motorbike, so we want to keep to about 350 miles a day,then on to Spain, spending 12 days at a site in the Costa Brava. On the way back we will stop once once then have 2 nights near Calais, this gives us time to take the dog to the vet without rushing. We booked the trip before fuel cost went up, but we are hoping for a small saving in France. Just our luck fuel is much cheaper in Spain but most of our trip will be through France. We have not taken the bongo on a long trip with cycles on the back and the Harley on the back, so don't know how much diesel it will use :(
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 pm

towing a motorbike
:shock: have you got a long rope?

:D
Image...Image
gasace
Bongolier

Post by gasace » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:42 pm

dave_aber wrote:
towing a motorbike
:shock: have you got a long rope?

:D
A trailer :lol:
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:55 pm

dave_aber wrote:which bit of Cornwall
Possibly wise to steer clear of Falmouth & Helston for the time being http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Ex ... ticle.html :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I need to put together a bit of a fact sheet about Cornwall as lots of you good folk head this way. Another job to do when the builders have finally left us and we have got the house back :roll:
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:29 am

Blimey!

I'd better go in disguise then!
Image...Image
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 pm

gasace wrote:we are driving down through France in August, 2 stops we will be taking our dog and towing a motorbike, so we want to keep to about 350 miles a day,then on to Spain, spending 12 days at a site in the Costa Brava. On the way back we will stop once once then have 2 nights near Calais, this gives us time to take the dog to the vet without rushing. We booked the trip before fuel cost went up, but we are hoping for a small saving in France. Just our luck fuel is much cheaper in Spain but most of our trip will be through France. We have not taken the bongo on a long trip with cycles on the back and the Harley on the back, so don't know how much diesel it will use :(
Thought you said you were taking a motorbike?.................. 8)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:20 pm

dave_aber wrote:Blimey!

I'd better go in disguise then!
Or bring someone else's passport - they might let you into England with yours, but you'll have bigger problems getting over the border into Cornwall :lol: :lol:

Give me a shout if you are in Falmouth, though (although not if there's a posse following you :shock: )
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
the clampits
Junior Bongonaut

Post by the clampits » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 pm

After 13 years of camping in France we are taking our newly baught bongo for 3 weeks touring Provence. looking forward to the luxury of not having to put up a tent. [-o< :lol:
The Clampits
'Goin roamin and jus walkin on the... mild side........'
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm

June: Germany (Hameln)
July/August: Bulgaria
August: France (South)
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm

wow im inspired by just how far you all get in the bongo :o im nervous just about going to cornwall/devon in a few weeks time. just so nervous about the whole overheating thing :(
i constantly watch the gauge thingy :roll:

fingers crossed it goes well [-o< then hoping to attend some meet ups over the summer and head up to highlands and islands of scotland in the summer - though have heard about the midgys 8-[
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:29 am

8etty 8ongo wrote:just so nervous about the whole overheating thing :(
i constantly watch the gauge thingy :roll:
Oh, that really requires maintenance! I wouldn't go anywhere nearly far with such an issue until putting everything to the good order. Of course, the car must be in as working condition as possible and people travelling far normally take it serious enough for not hesitating to spend more and more resources for proper preparations. I think I'd exhaust my both hands fingers if I tried to use them to count the maintenance procedures I plan to apply before my June's (and the shortest) trip to Germany. Hence all my wishes to get repaired soon! ^_~

Return to “Going Abroad”