Calais to the French Riviera: Any Suggested Campsites?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Kincaid
Bongolier

Calais to the French Riviera: Any Suggested Campsites?

Post by Kincaid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 pm

We are planning a holiday in September in Frejus in the South of France, very excited as we have just bought a bongo and are taking it for some sun.

We actually have about 3 days to travel down there, has anyone got some good stop-over ideas along the way?

WE ARE VERY EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel
Bongo Gymreig
Tony Hunt

Re: Calais to the French Riviera: Any Suggested Campsites?

Post by Tony Hunt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm

Just use the French aires they are in most small towns, very often free, sometimes just a few euros in the slot for water, dump waste or electricity if you need it. Whatever you do dont camp and sleep in the vehicle parked in the motorway aires, you might live to regret it if you do.
They are regular haunts for gypsies and other thieving types who will and do without a lot of trouble break into campers and caravans without you even knowing they have been. They prey on the motorway parking aires because they can always make a quick getaway. I have several friends who have been totally cleaned out of all their valuables, cards cash, jewellrey indeed anything worth pinching and they havent heard a thing. Ducato type camper vans used to be fairly easy to break into the front doors, I bought extra deadlocks for mine that fitted on the insides of the doors fairly easily and couldnt be picked from outside. People I know also used to put a thin chain across from one door to the other which also prevented entry from either door. The only problem with all this extra security is if you need to get out in a hurry yourself which is a worry.
Parking in the town or village aires is perfectly safe and certainly saves some money over normal camp site fees for the odd nights, some of these aires even have showers and toilets though more often than not they are fairly basic.

Another point to be wary of while we are on the subject especially on the french & spanish motorways is be very wary of anybody trying to flag you down to tell you there is a problem with your vehicle or caravan at the back. I know a lot of camper and RV owners who travel to Spain for the winter and they tell some pretty scary tales of what can and does happen when you stop for these rogues. If somebody is trying to stop you keep going and drive to the nearest town before stopping to check things out where there are folk about.
saracen

Post by saracen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 pm

If you don't have all mod cons in the Bongo (we don't!) then municipal campsites are the best option I'd say - they are cheap, most towns seem to have one and it's usually reasonably located, and the facilities are generally excellent. Travelling down the eastern half of the country (via Reims, Dijon, Lyon etc), I can recommend the municipals at Troyes and Beaune - both attractive and handy for their respective towns. Troyes especially had a nice buzz with a pizzeria, beers, and some live music (this was when we visited two years ago...) The only thing is to arrive in good time (by 6pm) to be sure of the office being open.
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Tony, Saracen -thanks for the advice :) We'll definitely check out the municipals. Re. the crime risk along the way -this hadn't even crossed my mind so will consider myself forewarned.
Bongo Gymreig
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Not sure which route you will be taking, but the Millau Viaduct is worth crossing and even a stay in the campsite near it. Quite an awesome sight!
Kincaid
Bongolier

Post by Kincaid » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. They are all useful. We're thinking of taking in Eurodisney as the Bongo allows us to take our time in travelling South, so the campsites mentioned are perfect.

definitely will try to get to the Millau Viaduct, Our friend leaves kind of near to there and it looks amazing. This is our first use of the Bongo Forum and it certainly does not disappoint!!

=D>
Mel
Bongo Gymreig
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 pm

I believe there is also an Asterix land near Paris Which I want to visit sometime.
clummzie
Bongolier

Post by clummzie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 am

This is very useful as it supposedly lists just about every campsite in France so get it out about an hour before you're due to pull over and choose a campsite.

We've stayed over night in a few motorway service station aires (not the picnic ones) as they are well lit and often have a specific area for motorhomes to stay the night.
This was not undertaken lightly due to the sort of advice above and we would only ever stop if there were several other vehicles there and pull up right next to another much posher one!

We were travelling until 1 or 2 in the morning so a campsite was never an option.
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:15 pm

If you intend going over the Millau bridge you could make a stopover in the Millau area - there are some lovely campsites in and around Millau/Tarn Gorge - and you might just be tempted to stay in the area for a few more days..................... the area is stunning!

Return to “Going Abroad”