Car or Bongo for trip to France

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

BONGO OR COMPANY CAR

Poll ended at Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Bongo + campsites
100%
Car + Gite
No votes

Total votes: 4
DE-OGZ

Car or Bongo for trip to France

Post by DE-OGZ » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Guys n Gals

We've just made the decision to put off some major DIY projects til the end of the year or beginning of next. This has freed up some time and a bit of money. I really fancy going to Lake Annecy in France (it has been on the list for a while) for a bit of hiking and kayaking (and possibly some nice food wine if we really had to :lol: )

The question is Bongo and Camping or Company Car and Gite. What would you do?

Just a bit of extra info - I'll have to sort a roof rack for either option, Deb is insured on the company car so either way would be two drivers, its a nearly new diesel insignia, the bongo is a V6, company car will prob cost an extra £20/£30 for insurance/admin bits, max duration would be 12 days.
Tony Hunt

Re: Car or Bongo for trip to France

Post by Tony Hunt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 pm

No contest :D
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 pm

I reckon it depends on whether you simply want to leg it and get to Annecy (fabulous place) in one go or meander around a bit on the way.

We go down to the Pyrenees regularly and usually take the company car simply because it does nearly twice as much to the gallon as the Bongo and we just want to get there. But later this year we are going in the Bongo and will take two or three days wandering around to get there and the same coming back. I reckon what we save on hotels by staying in the Bongo will cover the extra fuel.
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:28 pm

If going by Bongo, to make you travel a bit easier, more relaxed if you have the time and will be a lot cheaper than campsites enroute =D> , why not stop off at Aires enroute :D

Not the auto route stopping places, but those sites outside most towns or villages where for a few euros ( or even for free) you can park up and overnight. As a guide search for "All The Aires" from Vicarious Books. Although there are other books like "Camperstop" which give other sites throughout Europe.

We find them great places to stop over. Most will have fresh water, waste dumping & even electric hook up. They are more like carparks than campsites as you are not allowed to set up tents or awnings, or stop in them if with a caravan, but you can then enjoy the delights of the local town & it's produce, as they are found in some really good out of the way locations.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Hate to say this, but the diesel should win hands down - with luck (almost) twice as far on a much cheaper gallon (so at least 50% fuel cost) as already pointed out - petrol in France is (I think) even dearer than here - it's certainly much dearer than their diesel.
As you say you will have to put a roof box on both, the Insignia may still creep in under the ferry height limit, the Bongo certainly won't, so you may (depending on route/operator) have to pay more for a crossing.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Bongo all the way buddy, your higher up so you'll see more the campsites are so nice it'd be rude not to, the french have really nice rest areas on the side of all major roads so you can pull up and get the kettle on + this is exactly the sorta trip that the bongo was designed for.

Last spring i took my bongo around europe, 7 countries in 12 days and then in the summer i drove it down to limoges to see friends and the bongo made life sooooooo much easier. 8)
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:05 am

Bongo and Gite for me every time. Drive in luxury and no camping at all [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:10 am

Hard to compare them really. I don't know anything about booking gites so forgive me if I've got this wrong, but what I would value about the Bongo is the complte freedom to change itinerary, not have to plan much, stop in whatever scenery takes my fancy etc. I would console myself with the thought that what I spent on fuel, I was saving on gites, and that I was getting a grandstand view of the countryside and enjoying every minute of the drive.

But I guess the gites option would be more luxurious.

It'd be interesting to see whether it was economical to factor in a LPG conversion for the fuel cost savings it gave! 8)
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Bongo and campsite. A lot of the sites have games rooms and swimming pools as well as restraunts either attached or very close by. I agree it also gives you freedom to move if you don't like where you are or want to explore further..

Return to “Going Abroad”