Euro Tunnel in the bongo

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

MAXbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Euro Tunnel in the bongo

Post by MAXbongo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi

Wondering if anyone has bongoed the Euro Tunnel?

Off for a month in Switzerland / France in Max Bongo this summer. I have lots of Tesco clubcard vouchers, and could pay for euro tunnel completely (i.e. travel for free, instead of buying ferry ticket.)

There seem to be a list of requirements for gas bottles ( not too tricky?).

What happens if you turn up early/late - will they sort you out like they do on the ferries ( let you travel if space?)

thanks

Jenni
Moose
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Euro Tunnel in the bongo

Post by Moose » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:02 pm

We've travelled on the tunnel three times in our TinTop Bongo. We've turned up early everytime and always been put on the next available train. We turned up over 24 hours early on one occasion coming back and they just put us on the next one with no extra to pay. In our experience the tunnel is the best and easiest way.

Russ.
MAXbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MAXbongo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Thankyou Russ; that's very reassuring! Will go ahead and book the tickets then! :D
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 am

We've used them many times too and find them very good, we've turned up a day early and got on OK with no additional cost. Having been hugely stung by DFDS/Norfolk Line for changing a booking by just 24 hours, I much appreciate Eurotunnel's flexibility. Apparently you can also change a booking with no charge (other than the difference in cost according to the time of day or season).

Don't forget that you can use Tesco vouchers for Eurotunnel to get 3 times the value, this really is good value (though of course it was better last year when it was four times. It's no dearer for a converted van, you just book as a motorhome, so again there's a saving. Regarding the gas, they just come and check that it is turned off - but you cannot travel if you have an LPG conversion, LPG powered vehicle vehicles being banned.

We stay the night before on Dover seafront, and get an early morning train (well, early for us). That way you're across in half an hour, and get the full day to travel, gets you through Northern France on the first day.
froghandler
Bongolier

Post by froghandler » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 pm

We too use the Tunnel (the OH absolutely refuses to go by ferry since we first used the Tunnel). We've turned up early and late and have never had a problem. If you turn up early you are usually given the choice of the next available train or the one that you were originally booked on. On occasion there may be an extra charge in picking the earlier train but we've been lucky and never had to pay any extra.

Bin Bongoed
Where abouts do you stay on the seafront? We, like you, like to get an early train (and the same as you - early for us!!) but as we live about 4 hours away we end up leaving home at a ridiculous hour. Help in locating a safe spot for an overnighter before heading off would be great!!
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:09 am

Just along the Marine Parade, it's easy to find. There are normally a few other vans there, they'll often pull up close to you. The Police drive by during the night, but don't trouble you. We've done that for the last 3 or 4 years. It's usually quite too.
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am

Bin Bongoed wrote:Regarding the gas, they just come and check that it is turned off - but you cannot travel if you have an LPG conversion, LPG powered vehicle vehicles being banned.
Although they have relaxed the rule regarding leisure gas tanks, which is handy as we have an onboard built-in LPG tank and are intending to use the Chunnel this summer.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 am

Bin Bongoed wrote:Just along the Marine Parade, it's easy to find. There are normally a few other vans there, they'll often pull up close to you. The Police drive by during the night, but don't trouble you. We've done that for the last 3 or 4 years. It's usually quiet too.
The other place you can park is the last services at Maidstone, which saves you going to Dover and back. It costs about £10, but is well lit and noisy, since vehicles are coming and going all night.
MAXbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MAXbongo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments and ideas ( e.g. where to kip!)

As I will be driving down from the Peak District on the mad first Friday night of the summer hols night, I was worried about traffic jams etc - I will book an early morning train, and hope to get chance to pull up and get some shut eye before boarding.

It is a camper conversion, but gas is always off when travelling, so that's no problem.

Next problem is the quickest way to Switzerland - economy being the issue, but speed also significant - France and the payage or belgium toll free! No adult route finder on board, so it will be sat nav, too
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I agree, it's a great service, we've turned up way outside our booked time and not had to pay extra to go on the next train. If you've got gas onboard they just stick you at the back of the train and check it's switched off. I think a ferry is a bit more of an adventure for the kids but the tunnel is super-efficient. :wink:

Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:11 pm

MAXbongo wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments and ideas ( e.g. where to kip!)

Next problem is the quickest way to Switzerland - economy being the issue, but speed also significant - France and the payage or belgium toll free! No adult route finder on board, so it will be sat nav, too
We've got the same issue. We went down through Belgium 3 years ago, and I'm not too keen on the Belgian motorways, busy and hectic, and I enjoy driving on the French roads, so that might sway me. I think I'd prefer to take a little longer and be more relaxed, maybe do some peage to get the miles in for the first part. Yes you pay, but save on diesel and hassle.
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 pm

If you have an evening crossing or night time , why not get through the tunnel and as you drive down the exit, take the first turn signposted Exit for Cite Europe and park up in the Aires parking, between the complex & overlooking the Euro tunnel site.

Although it's next to the Coach parking area, they are quite away off and you will be in the company of other motorhomes and it's FREE.

A few hours kip & you can then be off early, straight onto the Auto Route, or do your shopping before setting off later in the morning!

We have used the Euro Tunnel many times, both with our Bongo & trailer and also our larger motorhome. At all times when we have arrived early, they always get us on the next available train, even if we are VERY EARLY :wink:

Coming back, I think the French just want us on the dam train :lol:
With the gas situation, as long as you can show that it's only for habitation use and not for driving the van, it's ok as long as the gas supply is turned off or isolated.

When we did Slovenia in our Bongo, we drove through Belgium & Luxemborg and filled up there with cheap diesel. Treat the drive as part of the holiday and take your time, Or you can go like **** and get to Lake Garda in 24 hours =D>

However, which ever way you go, you'll enjoy the journey, as it beats driving in the UK anyday :lol:
MAXbongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MAXbongo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestion re: stopover in France....

With the information about the ability to get on earlier trains if you arrive early, then I think I shall just book one and see what time I get there and how I feel...

Heading down the motorway straight from last day of school is not something I'm looking forward to! The holiday only really begins when you reach France!

Looking forward to cheaper fuel too - sadly, Max Bongo is a thirsty petrol drinker!
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Also living in the Peak District like MAXbongo the worst bit of the trip is getting to Dover. Absolute bloody nightmare on a Friday evening or early Saturday morning. Queued for over hour and quarter one time to get over the Dartford bridge. Nearly always go from Portsmouth now as so much easier to get to.
Like you say, the holiday begins once in France.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 pm

MAXbongo wrote:Thanks for the suggestion re: stopover in France....

With the information about the ability to get on earlier trains if you arrive early, then I think I shall just book one and see what time I get there and how I feel...

Heading down the motorway straight from last day of school is not something I'm looking forward to! The holiday only really begins when you reach France!

Looking forward to cheaper fuel too - sadly, Max Bongo is a thirsty petrol drinker!
Don't think you'll find much difference in price now between the diesel prices in France and here :( Not sure about petrol though. Enjoy your trip.. France is a fantastic place to go bongoing :)
I love cheese!

Return to “Going Abroad”