North Africa Round Trip Liberation of Libya

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Glenda
Bongolier

North Africa Round Trip Liberation of Libya

Post by Glenda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Earlt days but if Gadaffi is finally kicked out by the extremely brave opposition to his dictatorship North Africa could become open to Bongos. A ferry to Tunisia from Italy and land border crossing into the previously unopened Libya enables you to drive through to Egypt and onto Aqaba in Jordan by ferry over the top of the Red Sea. From here I have driven up to Turkey via Syria but this time would drop into the Lebanon .Then its plain sailing or bongoing home.

I hope for the citizens of Libya that this trip is on by this coming winter and that the despot is living in exile in Scotland with his friend Gordon Brown.

Freedom to the Libyans is foremost in my mind but I will love to be able to go over next winter and join in the jubilation not forgetting the martyrs.

I say this having lived 2 years in Saudi Arabia and having travelled by car through all these countries bar Libya. The reception is incredible and it would be impossible to get anywhere if you stopped everytime someone invited you to eat with them.

UP THE REVOLUTION...............
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: North Africa Round Trip Liberation of Libya

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Glenda wrote:Earlt days but if Gadaffi is finally kicked out by the extremely brave opposition to his dictatorship North Africa could become open to Bongos. A ferry to Tunisia from Italy and land border crossing into the previously unopened Libya enables you to drive through to Egypt and onto Aqaba in Jordan by ferry over the top of the Red Sea. From here I have driven up to Turkey via Syria but this time would drop into the Lebanon .Then its plain sailing or bongoing home.

I hope for the citizens of Libya that this trip is on by this coming winter and that the despot is living in exile in Scotland with his friend Gordon Brown.

Freedom to the Libyans is foremost in my mind but I will love to be able to go over next winter and join in the jubilation not forgetting the martyrs.

I say this having lived 2 years in Saudi Arabia and having travelled by car through all these countries bar Libya. The reception is incredible and it would be impossible to get anywhere if you stopped everytime someone invited you to eat with them.

UP THE REVOLUTION...............
2nd that =D> =D> =D>
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:35 pm

Glenda wrote: and that the despot is living in exile in Scotland with his friend Gordon Brown.
I dont second that bit!!!! Nor would the residents of Lockerbie. :|
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:03 pm

dunslair wrote:
Glenda wrote: and that the despot is living in exile in Scotland with his friend Gordon Brown.
[/quote]

Not to mention those that died on the plane. But I think I know what Glenda means. Mind you. it gives a clue as to the realpolitik pressures Gaddafi may have been able to put (and be capable of putting) on Gordon Brown. The man's a nasty bully, and Gaddafi is even worse :lol:
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:00 pm

dunslair wrote:Nor would the residents of Lockerbie. :|
Oh I don't know - there might be some who'd be very happy he was near to handImage
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:29 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
dunslair wrote:

Not to mention those that died on the plane. But I think I know what Glenda means. Mind you. it gives a clue as to the realpolitik pressures Gaddafi may have been able to put (and be capable of putting) on Gordon Brown. The man's a nasty bully, and Gaddafi is even worse :lol:
One might argue that with his unflinching support of Tony Bliar for the Iraq invasion that Brown has more blood on his hands than Gadaffi.
Either way, odious pieces of scum that should be up before the International Court of Justice for War Crimes.
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm

I get your point Dunslair. I guess you know I was cynically referring to Tony Blair and Gordon Brown as PMs working with Gadaffi to ensure that BP got billion pound oil rights in Libya for working on the release of a Lockerbie bomber on the grounds of having months to live. He is still alive today as we know.

As Brown put himself into exile and has/had no interest in visiting the Commons as a mere MP I thought there may be an offer to his old mate Gadaffi to go up to his Scotland hideaway.

As Mike and Francophile say surely that's the best place for him, if the bullying of Gordon doesn't get him the scots will.

Especially after watching Joe Jordan with Gattuso in the football last week.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I agree with munroman as well.

BUT my thread is about the possibility of a fantastic trip through a democratic Libya in a Bongo. Gadaffi will then be gone, the Libyans can work out there future without an occupying force and its win win win except for Gadaffi.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

That's if you actually believe Libya had anything to do with the Lockerbie crash - plenty, including some families of the victims don't and the only evidence was the say so of a Maltese shopkeeper who wasn't even consistent in what he said either.
Plenty of other evidence doesn't stack up either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maltes ... _Lockerbie

Just what did Libya have to gain from blowing up Flight 103? The only people who ever gain from such things are the CIA who get more money and more carte blanche to do anything to fight the "threat". :roll:

Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11, but that didn't stop the CIA telling Bush they did and pinning it with the blame.

I take everything I'm "told" I should "believe" about "terrorism" with a very large pinch of salt.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:22 pm

scanner wrote:That's if you actually believe Libya had anything to do with the Lockerbie crash - plenty, including some families of the victims don't and the only evidence was the say so of a Maltese shopkeeper who wasn't even consistent in what he said either.
Plenty of other evidence doesn't stack up either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maltes ... _Lockerbie

Just what did Libya have to gain from blowing up Flight 103? The only people who ever gain from such things are the CIA who get more money and more carte blanche to do anything to fight the "threat". :roll:

Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11, but that didn't stop the CIA telling Bush they did and pinning it with the blame.

I take everything I'm "told" I should "believe" about "terrorism" with a very large pinch of salt.
Indeed, on another forum I am on I raised this very point, and incurred the wrath of a random american gunslinger, who seems to think that he is wordly wise because he watches the BBC from his swamp in Louisiana.

He went 'mad as hell' when I suggested that the BBC is not exactly what you would call unbiased (as we well know in Scotland, as a lot of 'interesting stories' re politicians and property developers failed to make the BBC headlines, but are a lot on on line newspapers which make up for this censorship.)

He does not quite seem intellectually able to understand that someone can hate Gadaffi, but also be unsure that justice has been served.
The bombed flight 103's passenger manifest was quite different from the usual one, with a lot of US government staff who regularly travelled changing at the last moment, that seems strange to me.

Anyway, better go before a .457 Magnum gets me........
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:43 pm

keefysher wrote:Glenda

Why get the ferry to Aqaba? With the way things are going you could pop into Gaza, super beaches at Nitzanim; drive across Israel through the White Desert to Eilat and cross there.
I was in Jordan in 1996 and remember sleeping in the van (Nissan not Bongo) on the Dead Sea looking over at Israel. We were s*** scared when all these cars drove up and parked around us. After a few minutes we realised they were out for a bit of nooky and we were safe. I diverge. At that time you could not go into Israel and back to Jordan. That may have changed now but I dont think Syria would let a Bongo in that had been through Israel. However if things have or will change that would make the trip even better.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 pm

The thought of getting to see the pyramids after taking the Cueta ferry from Spain and following the coast road East is somehing that I could really go for. Maybe later probably on the Scooter rather than the Bongo - the fuel costs would be prohibative in the Bongo!

With regard to the Beeb I have a considerable respect for the reports of that Corporation, however, since the age of 14 I have questioned the so called impartiality. I got a transister radio for my birthday that year and - not being one to enjoy pop music started to listen to the Home Service (or it could have been newly named Radio 4, and as the year progressed I realised I could listen to Voice of America, and Radio Tianna (?) from Albania, and Radio Moscow. All giving their "measured" response to the bombing by the Americans of Loas, at the height of the Vietnam war.

Then one night I managed to tune into Radio Sweden and caught thier news in English. What a refreshing change - in my opinion that station was unbiased and by the time I had listened to the news from them all I realised that the so called unbiased view of the BBC had to be questioned. At that time there was certainly a slant. The Beeb enjoys a good reputation for being straight and honest - but the cynic in me says that not all you hear should be believed even if it emanated from Broadcasting House London!
Ian G
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I don't think Gaddaffi would want to live in Scotland.

Have you seen the cost of diesel there!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm

How can you be Fatcatlawyer and worry about fuel costs? :lol: Fuel will be a lot cheaper once you get to the oil producing countries and you would have the security of the Bongo to sleep in.

However, if Algerians do oust Abdelaziz Bouteflika it may not be possible to travel through it safely as Al Qaeda have a strong following and there is a strong Islamic terrorist group who would welcome foreign tourists as target practice. They also have warring tribes (so may Libya of course in a worst case scenario after dick brain). Then on top of this Algeria has border disputes with Morocco and there is no tourist access by road between these countries at present.

Things change though.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi
Munroman....
I can't help but laugh at Septics when they get all airyated over their involvement in the World's conflicts....I heard a Texan type Septic Tank talking about how the Septics won the last War, and that The British forces virtually did nothing...notwithstanding that the Indian forces, South African, Canadian , Australian, New Zealand, Polish, free French...and so on ad infinitum were in on the act while those seditious Colonial traitors from the other side of the Atlantic sat entertaining escaped Nazi POWs who had hopped the twig from the UK, and managed to get through Canada to safety...YES SAFETY!!!! in the land of the Septics, while they sat around chewing tobacco and raising hunting dogs on the bayou deciding which side to join...Oh, yes...it was only a bit of a wild guess that the rest of the World might win against the goose-stepping sausage-munchers, that decided those septics to join forces with the rest of the World, and give Hollywood plenty of post-War scripts on how they won the whole "Show"...

However , the only Yanks I've met personally, I have found to be extra-ordinarily nice folk...but I can't help but pour cauldrons of hot scorn on the nation (with a small "N") as a whole
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Going Abroad”