BEST SET UP FOR ADULTS + X2 TODDLERS

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

Barrington
Supreme Being

Re: BEST SET UP FOR ADULTS + X2 TODDLERS

Post by Barrington » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Mmmmmmmmm lovely Chrome :P :P :P 8) 8) Pm sent to cardiff996 :D :D
Alison01326 wrote:Send Barrington on here a PM (private message) if he doesn't read this (he's too preoccupied in the chrome section on here!!!!).

He's got twin girls (toddlers) and they are very regular campers.
Music is my Sanctuary!
Barrington
Supreme Being

Post by Barrington » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Music is my Sanctuary!
cardiff996
Bongolier

Post by cardiff996 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks again all!!!
Nbongo

Post by Nbongo » Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 pm

I have a 6 year old and 3 year old.
we have not converted the van downstairs.
We did do a profesional roof conversation however (the firm are based in Bideford, N Devon - i have posted about them before on the bedboard discussion so have a look) we now have a hinged opening at the bottom of the roof near the boot end
We put permanent foam mattress upstairs with a sheet on.

The kids sleep lie side by side in the roof and get in and out at will at the hinged end at the bottom and are very comfortable up their own sleeping bags or duvet.
Me and my wife sleep downstairs.

We have a Kyham driveaway awning with a tunnel attached to the side of the van, this has a two built in rooms at the rear which we use for storage for clothes and our matress and bedding when we use the van in the day.

We use the main part of the awning as a living room/playroom and have a cooker under an attachable roof off the side of the awning itself
All in all it works perfectly and we are comfortable for as long as we want, the kids love it
sandralav

Post by sandralav » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 am

Hi. We are buying a converted bongo with roof boards and a wide double bed below. I am wondering what the best option for a mattress is for two small children up top, or perhaps one adult and one child up top. The dealer suggested self inflated mattresses but ive read these might not be the best and i should go for memory foam. Where do you put it when travelling? can it fit up in the pop up roof with the boards and still close ok?
i know this topic covered separately but just wondered if anyone with small kids had any good ideas?
thanks
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:16 pm

We use an inflatable ready bed for our 4 year old, its a Dora one but others are avaliable

Its a bit like this: http://www.play.com/Toys/Toys/4-/160531 ... d:16053123

Tim
V6 Tintop with LPG
sandralav

Post by sandralav » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Im still puzzling over the roof bed. I think I have only just realised that the bed boards cover the whole roof and if you want to leave a gap that would be over the cab. Is that right? So now I'm thinking that I need some kind of child net to sling across the open end of the roof bed. ive seen these in VWs does anyone know if the same one could fit a bongo? thanks
Nbongo

Post by Nbongo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 am

sandralav wrote:Hi. We are buying a converted bongo with roof boards and a wide double bed below. I am wondering what the best option for a mattress is for two small children up top, or perhaps one adult and one child up top. The dealer suggested self inflated mattresses but ive read these might not be the best and i should go for memory foam. Where do you put it when travelling? can it fit up in the pop up roof with the boards and still close ok?
i know this topic covered separately but just wondered if anyone with small kids had any good ideas?
thanks
As you say there is a seperate thread elsewhere recommending firms, have a search "memory foam" or "roof mattress"
I think we have a 1.5 " memory foam "topper"which was cut to size using the firm recommended on this site...
The foam stays upstairs permenantly with a sheet on it myself and wife slept on it last week with no comfort issues.
Any thicker I think the roof will have issues folding down...
The roof lowers with the foam left up top and there is also room to put our silver screens laid ontop as well.
Just make sure you fold in the sides of the roof tent inside so they do not get caught up in the the roof mechanisim as it lowers....
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

sandralav wrote:Im still puzzling over the roof bed. I think I have only just realised that the bed boards cover the whole roof and if you want to leave a gap that would be over the cab. Is that right? So now I'm thinking that I need some kind of child net to sling across the open end of the roof bed. ive seen these in VWs does anyone know if the same one could fit a bongo? thanks
Here's another option to the roof access problem.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48367&start=15

We had ours done and it's fab for kids and adults.
Apparently the VW sling across does fit Bongo with a little adaptation. The open gap with bed boards is at the back end not over the cab. With the adaptation we've done you can put your baby child at the top and close the back flap and open it easily when you need to get access in :)

EDIT.. we've now got a 3inch foam mattress in three pieces and it stays up in the AFT .. very comfy although I would think a 2inch is better as you could leave your sleeping bags up there with it.
I love cheese!

Return to “Bongoing with Children”