NEW TO THE BONGO WORLD

frys_bongo

NEW TO THE BONGO WORLD

Post by frys_bongo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi all, thought i say hello to ALL THE BONGODIERS........im new to the bongo, ive just brought a 1995 2.5l bongo autotop,
im looking for anyone who can give me advice on different things, as im not very machanical minded at all.

bye :D
zeberdy1

Re: NEW TO THE BONGO WORLD

Post by zeberdy1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi,
wellcome to the mad world of Bongo's :D be nice to know your name!
Bob & Sue
silvern
Bongonaut

Post by silvern » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Welcome,
Not been here long myself (got my bongo in December).
Post some pics of your Bongo when you get a chance - everybody loves to have a look!
Cheers,
Neal
frys_bongo

Post by frys_bongo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

hi, my names andy, im trying to put pics up of my bongo but has no idea how to do this, any ideas please.

thanks
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 am

frys_bongo wrote:hi, my names andy, im trying to put pics up of my bongo but has no idea how to do this, any ideas please.

thanks
Register at Photobucket, upload your pictures on there and then onto BF, I think there is more complex instructions on here somewhere, try doing a search.
Bongo no more........... ;-(
frys_bongo

Post by frys_bongo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 pm

THANKS
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:08 am

Excellent news. Things to do (incomplete, and random):

*Lift the engine covers and bonnet and get to kno what's under there, look at condition of cooling system hoses (are they swollen, do they feel hard when squeezed, no rude replies from the smutty peep please I'm being serious)l.

*Do alternator belts look good etc.

*Any sign of oil leaks (don't freak out as Bongo engines can be a bit oily but...),

*has the cooling system bleed hose been tied away so it can't chafe againt the alternator

*what is condition of battery under the bonnet

*how is the oil level and condition/colour etc.,

*do you know where the autotransmission fluid dipstick is

*is the header tank level good and are there any signs of staining.

*When driven, does the temp gauge come off the COLD stop at around 5 mins.

*What are the tyre ratings (observe and report back - they will have a number something like 96H for example stamped on the ouside wall).

*Is there a spare tyre and do you know how to remove and check it and is it pumped up properly.

*When was the cambelt last changed and do you know the service history generally.

*Has the vehicle been waxoyled thoroughly for rust protection (and you might crawl around underneath it and do a visual check).

*Have oil, air, fuel filters been changed recently.

*Does the Bongo have any steering wobble at 65-70mph, suggesting wheels need balancing (Bongos are sensitive about this)

* Do you know where the fuse boxes are and have you got a few spares

* If its an AFT lift-roof, do you know what could prevent the roof from going up in terms of handrbrake on etc.

* Are electric window switches operating smoothly and reliably and have you sussed that the drivers side switch includes a passenger window lock-out switch.

* Is the exhaust in good condition (check for rust, especially back-box)

* Be aware how easy it is to crunch into something when reversing due to limted (lower) rear vision. Think once, think twice etc. Many of us (me :oops: ) have crunched our rear ends in the early days of ownership.

And fit a low coolant alarm if it doesn't have one.

That should do for now! And have fun with it 8)
frys_bongo

Post by frys_bongo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:53 pm

Problem I got I don't know what I'm looking for as regards to the above things. Is there anyone local to bridgend who will check these for me as I'm scared in case I do something wrong

Thanks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:31 pm

frys_bongo wrote:Problem I got I don't know what I'm looking for as regards to the above things. Is there anyone local to bridgend who will check these for me as I'm scared in case I do something wrong

Thanks
There's bound to be someone nearby (lots of BF members down your way I think) who will help you if you can drive over to them. Lifting the engine covers involves lifting off the centre console (held on by two hand-turnable screw-retainers, one accessed by lkifting out the ashtray, the other near the cupholders) and then undoing 3 catches per side (there are two engine covers, one passenger side which has oil dipstick, alternator, turbo, bleed hose, oil filter, exhaust manifold etc. under it, and one drivers side, which has fuel pump and injector, autobox dipstick, starter motor etc. under it. Regarding the catches for the cover, there is on on each side underneath the (now removed central console, and two which can be located by slipping your hand under the velcroed carpet join and running you hand along until you find them - obvious when you do it). Also, there are three press studs where the engine cover carpet pieces are held together when engine covers are closed.

Also, lift the engine cover by tipping the seatback forwards and then using the seat to pull the cover up.

A fun exercise for a nice day and you absolutey must learn how to do this job and to do basic inspections even if you do nothing else. Also, how to cheack coolant header tank level under the bonnet.

To add to the list:

Check fuild levels in brake reservoir (under bonnet) and power steering reservoir (under drivers side engine cover I think).

Have fun, and enjoy it :D

Return to “Wales/Cymru”