dorset coast

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

nicstrike
Tribal Elder

dorset coast

Post by nicstrike » Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 am

thinking of going "jurassic" a little later in the year. any suggestions for a nice little campsite near the coast?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: dorset coast

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 01, 2011 12:05 pm

nicstrike wrote:thinking of going "jurassic" a little later in the year. any suggestions for a nice little campsite near the coast?
I used to holiday on the Isle of Purbeck and there were some some lovely ones nestling in area between Corfe, Studland, Swanage and Langton Matravers. Not sure if that is still so and/or if the area is too over-run now
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Try these http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/resul ... &by=county - you can check the reviews of each site 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Eype House (be careful...not the big camp site on the other side of the valley)

Open fires on the beach from dry driftwood, not crowded, walk along the cliffs to get to the chip shops in West End (next bay East). Charmouth etc. not far.
Two tonne tin drum
dorsetdave
Bongonaut

Post by dorsetdave » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Try Burnbake at Rempstone, near Studland, a very laid back site, or the camp site at Lulworth right on the coast, we have plenty of other sites but some are very commercial and expensive.
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Sun May 01, 2011 6:51 pm

lulworth...always fancied going there. could be a go-er!
DanO
Bongonaut

Post by DanO » Sun May 01, 2011 7:00 pm

burnbake is ok. Tom's Field is good.
dorsetdave
Bongonaut

Post by dorsetdave » Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Forgot Toms Field, used to very basic: ie a toilet in a corregated shed and no showers! also a bit uneven, not sure what it is like now, one more to try is East Fleet at Weymouth right down on the Fleet at Chesil Beach
DanO
Bongonaut

Post by DanO » Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm

family field at Tom's Field is decent, others are ok but some are only really suitable for tents. Nice atmosphere there. Trying to remember the names of some of the pubs to pay a visit to..........one had a crocodile or fossil museum in it and hte other had an amazing view of Corfe Castle.........
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun May 01, 2011 8:22 pm

DanO wrote:family field at Tom's Field is decent, others are ok but some are only really suitable for tents. Nice atmosphere there. Trying to remember the names of some of the pubs to pay a visit to..........one had a crocodile or fossil museum in it and hte other had an amazing view of Corfe Castle.........
The view of Corfe Castle will be the Scott Arms at Kingston - ah but I can remember it (when it did delicious Dorset apple cake and icecream) before the tourists discovered it and it became a business. Still good though and that view is magical, but try and avoid crowded days.

The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers was another wonderfully eccentric old pub, and it did freshly caught crab sandwiches (the crab that is, not the sandwich :lol: ). Still good after a walk along the Priests Way, but no doubt touristified by now.

Those were my two faves anyway.
DanO
Bongonaut

Post by DanO » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 pm

yes those are the exact 2!!! The Square and Compass has the fossil museum.

Scotts Arms had a Jamaican menu when we went a couple of years ago, awesome food. The pub was done up but now like any other one, but the views were amazing!!!
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am

DanO wrote:yes those are the exact 2!!! The Square and Compass has the fossil museum.
:D It also has Blackberry Wood playing this weekend :arrow: http://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/in ... 07ca2be67d

I'll be there Friday and Saturday Yeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa
8)
cheers! party on dudes.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 03, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm going all misty eyed reading about you two going there. I'll have to return there one day. I was so very lucky in that my Mum bought an old wreck of a stone cottage in Acton, Blacklands, Nr. Langton Matravers in 1973 for £1800, and I used to go and stay there with me misbehaved mates, do work on it so I could stay free, and fly model gliders all around the area. And we could walk from the cottage along the Priests Way to the wonderfully eccentric Square and Compass of a sunny evening.

I even wrote an article called 'The Magic Kingdom' for a model gliding magazine, all about flying model gliders on the Isle of Purbeck. And we'd buy our spares from the smallest little model shop in the UK, in Wareham (the wingspan of one of my gliders was wider than the shopfront - I took a pic and included it in the article).

Happy, happy days, much missed but so lucky to have had them. 8)
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Norden farm at Corfe castle has all you need and is central to all the main resorts, i go every year for a metal detecting rally, its a working farm too and has all the facilities even on site resteraunt :D

http://www.nordenfarm.com/
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Tue May 03, 2011 2:39 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I'm going all misty eyed reading about you two going there. I'll have to return there one day. I was so very lucky in that my Mum bought an old wreck of a stone cottage in Acton, Blacklands, Nr. Langton Matravers in 1973 for £1800, and I used to go and stay there with me misbehaved mates, do work on it so I could stay free, and fly model gliders all around the area. And we could walk from the cottage along the Priests Way to the wonderfully eccentric Square and Compass of a sunny evening.
:shock: Mike, you wouldn't believe it if I told you where I was staying #-o

Image :D
cheers! party on dudes.

Return to “Campsites”