Germany - where?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

feeblecat
Bongolier

Germany - where?

Post by feeblecat » Tue May 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, the last two years we have gone to France, as far as the Pyrenees, the med, and the Ardeche (with some places further North thrown in). I love France and up till recently have intended going back for our 3 weeks holiday in August. I am now thinking that I should at least try out other places - possibly still ending up in France. Germany keeps popping into my head so I am looking for advice on where to go in Germany. We love smashing scenery, walks/cycling (with doggy trailer), pretty villages/towns, culture. We hate overdeveloped/commercial. I have been looking for a post where some kind bongoliers recommended areas in Germany but I can't find it. Any info gratefully received. thanks
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Re: Germany - where?

Post by Poohbear » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 pm

feeblecat wrote:We love smashing scenery, walks/cycling (with doggy trailer), pretty villages/towns, culture. We hate overdeveloped/commercial.
With that description it has to be Schwarzwald (the Black Forest). It has all of that and it's not expensive for camping eating etc. We've been there a couple of times on motorbikes and we would thoroughly recommend it.
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 pm

thanks Pooh - can you remember details on any sites you were on?
dext924

Post by dext924 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I would highly recommend any where near the Mosel region. We stayed at Koblenz the year before, in a fantastic castle grounds. the mosel is beautiful for walks and lovely little towns. If you fancy heading a bit further south, then Garmisch is a cracker. lived a few years in germany, we go back to a different place every year. Or try Luxembourg. you are close to france and germany, and Lux is a beautiful country. We were there last year, and going again this year. Campsites are fantastic
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Loads of good info here to google - thanks. Any more for me to shortlist? Also, any idea of the weather I can expect from mid August/early Sept?
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 pm

The Ardennes in Southern Belgium (Wallonia) & Luxembourg. Also as said the Mosel region of Germany, which starts on the other side of the Mosel from Luxembourg.

Luxembourg both for the Principality itself and the cheap fuel - especially diesel. I think you can still get it for just about £1.00/litre there.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm

+1 for the Mosel valley - Trier to Koblenz. Cracking scenery, wine, meandering river, etc.

Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Tue May 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Buddy we done france Belgium stopping at the atomium http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... GaIzkQPiOA then into germany inc a lap of the nurburgring :wink: then down through Germanys rhine valley / black forest into switzerland over the alps to italy accross to monacco then on to Nice before returning to good ole blighty via luxembourg in 12 days last year, campsites are plentyful and very clean and tidy scenery's amazing, the theremal baths at Baden Baden were amazingly relaxing http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... xd-gaKS8kA

Koblenz is amazing as D-A points out :wink:
Wilko70
Bongonaut

Post by Wilko70 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Stayed in a static couple of years back in Saarbug, lovely pretty town and campsit was on top of hill with a chair lift from campsite to village. Went with canvas holidays s o check their website to see if takes touing, fairly certain it did. Day trip from their to trier again very nice and in right place that people have mentioned in previous posts.
Moose
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Moose » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 pm

I would definitely recommend Following the Rhine down to Koblenz then on to the Black Forest. A lovely scenic road starting at Baden Baden is the A500 I think. Stunning views.

Russell.
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 pm

It all sounds wonderful - I'm thinking we might just give France a miss for one year and try Luxemburg and Germany. My thought is maybe 3 or 4 nights in Luxemburg and about 2 weeks in ONE campsite in Germany. We have driven a lot, lot, lot of miles on our French holidays and fancy chillin and not packing up too often this year. So, an area with loads in the (sort of) immediate vicinity so we don't do too much driving. Good, easy walking/cycling. Pretty villages. Scenic. If I were to chose either the Schwarzwald or Mosel areas which one would it be. Sorry to be so specific but I know NOTHING about Germany.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 pm

feeblecat wrote:It all sounds wonderful - I'm thinking we might just give France a miss for one year and try Luxemburg and Germany. My thought is maybe 3 or 4 nights in Luxemburg and about 2 weeks in ONE campsite in Germany. We have driven a lot, lot, lot of miles on our French holidays and fancy chillin and not packing up too often this year. So, an area with loads in the (sort of) immediate vicinity so we don't do too much driving. Good, easy walking/cycling. Pretty villages. Scenic. If I were to chose either the Schwarzwald or Mosel areas which one would it be. Sorry to be so specific but I know NOTHING about Germany.
Schwartzwald is further so you may end up with a day or so less time there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest
http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/

Mosel runs past Luxembourg and cheap fuel etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moselle_%28river%29
http://www.romantic-germany.info/?gclid ... 4QodSzTmfA
Moose
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Moose » Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Schwarzwald for hills and forests, Mosel for cycle rides and lovely towns.
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue May 10, 2011 7:58 am

I think we may end up trying both - starting at the Mosel then down to the Schwartzwald! I have a plan. Any idea of the distances between each, starting from Dunkerque? thanks everyone.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 am

Once you are over the channel, Koblenz is a pretty easy drive in a day - 4 or 5 hours.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Going Abroad”