Travel cot near to the leisure battery

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

sean

Travel cot near to the leisure battery

Post by sean » Thu May 12, 2011 1:45 pm

We plan to put a travel cot in the back of our bongo as it fits perfectly next to the built-in kitchen. However our daughter would be sleeping at the same level as the leisure battery which is obviously below the fridge and gas burner. Does anyone know if its safe to do this?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Travel cot near to the leisure battery

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu May 12, 2011 2:22 pm

i would as a minimum make sure the battery has a vent pipe outside,and is in a sealed compartment/locker.and double check the vents on the fridge/cooker.and fit all the warning gadgets i could get my hands on,carbon monoxide/smoke /heat detecters.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 pm

The only gases that would be put out by the battery would be Hydrogen and Oxygen if over charged, Hydrogen is lighter than any other gas and would drift upwards whilst Oxygen is much the same as the other gases in the air. The amount given off is not normally massive unless you seriously over charge a battery, which is very, very unlikely from the mains charger and isn't going to happen from the alternator when stationery without it being rather obvious (sounds of diesel engine over-revving for several hours!).

If the gas burner is leaking then the LPG would settle to the floor itself being heavier than air, and there are air vents at the rear of the vehicle for normal ventilation.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TechnoTurkey
Bongolier

Post by TechnoTurkey » Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Just don't have it charging at night and turn the gas off at the bottle (or put the bottle outside). No risk at all then.
Member 10,000!
1997 Green AFT 4x4 2.5TD Auto Bongo
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

g8dhe wrote:The only gases that would be put out by the battery would be Hydrogen and Oxygen if over charged, Hydrogen is lighter than any other gas and would drift upwards whilst Oxygen is much the same as the other gases in the air. The amount given off is not normally massive unless you seriously over charge a battery, which is very, very unlikely from the mains charger and isn't going to happen from the alternator when stationery without it being rather obvious (sounds of diesel engine over-revving for several hours!).

If the gas burner is leaking then the LPG would settle to the floor itself being heavier than air, and there are air vents at the rear of the vehicle for normal ventilation.
Isn't H2S given off from old batteries sometimes? I'm sure I 've smelt it at times.

If so that can be dangerous - but obviously it's only a problem during charging.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 pm

scanner wrote:Isn't H2S given off from old batteries sometimes? I'm sure I 've smelt it at times.
There is HSO4 generated but that is in the aqueous solution not a gas, never heard of H2S being generated, I'm sure I would have smelt it in battery rooms if it was!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 pm

g8dhe wrote:
scanner wrote:Isn't H2S given off from old batteries sometimes? I'm sure I 've smelt it at times.
There is HSO4 generated but that is in the aqueous solution not a gas, never heard of H2S being generated, I'm sure I would have smelt it in battery rooms if it was!
What's the bad eggs smell that some batteries - usually knackered ones - give off when being charged then? I thought that was H2S
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 13, 2011 7:41 am

Well the smell of bad eggs is indeed H2S but never smelt it from batteries themselves. I wonder if it could come from spilling battery acid onto other surfaces / materials ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 am

g8dhe wrote:Well the smell of bad eggs is indeed H2S but never smelt it from batteries themselves. I wonder if it could come from spilling battery acid onto other surfaces / materials ?
Nope, from the cells when gassing under charge. As I say usually old/knackered batteries.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”