MacDonalds wifi in France

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

MacDonalds wifi in France

Post by Bin Bongoed » Wed May 18, 2011 10:28 am

I have never used their wifi, and never eat there. But it seems to be the best option when touring and needing to keep in touch.

What is the SP? do you get a different code at each branch, or it there one code for all, if so what is it. Or is it open?
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: MacDonalds wifi in France

Post by missfixit70 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

I just parked up in the car park & logged on, from memory, didn't need a code or anything, didn't buy anything from them either :wink: Have a good trip :D
Last edited by missfixit70 on Wed May 18, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 am

Cheers Kirsty! I should have asked you first!
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Sit around outside :D
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 19, 2011 8:19 am

I still think it's polite to buy something - the alternative will be the Weatherspoons model where you have to buy something to get a code and the code only lasts an hour or so.

However if you are happy to freeload go ahead.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Thu May 19, 2011 11:51 am

McDonalds Coffee is good! :o
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Poohbear wrote:McDonalds Coffee is good! :o
Exactly!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:34 pm

scanner wrote:I still think it's polite to buy something - the alternative will be the Weatherspoons model where you have to buy something to get a code and the code only lasts an hour or so.

However if you are happy to freeload go ahead.
Are you seriously trying to give people a guilt complex about using freely provided wireless from Mcdonalds? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it was a family owned business or other worthy cause, I'd fully agree - but Mcdonalds??????? Heard it all now :lol: :lol:
Yup I'm completely happy to "freeload" from them, I'll even go & use their toilets too & still not buy anything :wink:
BonGoRANT10
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BonGoRANT10 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Have a laptop but have never used wifi in France.
Do you need to buy extra pieces of kit or contact your Broadband provider before leaving the UK?
(Hoping to use this facility while at McDonalds near Mulsanne corner)
BonGoRANT10
1995 SGL3 2WD AFT green/silver
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Nowt extra needed as long as you've got wifi, seem to be a lot of places in France that advertise free wifi, most campsites charge for it though :roll:
Alacrity
Tribal Elder

Post by Alacrity » Thu May 19, 2011 8:12 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Are you seriously trying to give people a guilt complex about using freely provided wireless from Mcdonalds? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it was a family owned business or other worthy cause, I'd fully agree - but Mcdonalds??????? Heard it all now :lol: :lol:
Yup I'm completely happy to "freeload" from them, I'll even go & use their toilets too & still not buy anything :wink:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
35+ years working with autogearboxes - all day every day......for my sins
saracen

Post by saracen » Thu May 19, 2011 9:31 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
Are you seriously trying to give people a guilt complex about using freely provided wireless from Mcdonalds? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it was a family owned business or other worthy cause, I'd fully agree - but Mcdonalds??????? Heard it all now :lol: :lol:

Absolutely!
Well worth knowing about this in France - and given it's MacDs I will positively relish the freeloading.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Fair enough, as I said carry on freeloading, I've done it as well from time to time and I don't hold any brief for a multinational like McD.

BUT just don't moan when McD's catch on and do the same as other previously "free WiFi" providers have done and bring in codes that only last for so long and that you need to get renewed again and again and again and again.

As said the coffee isn't that bad.......................
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri May 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Alacrity wrote:
missfixit70 wrote:Are you seriously trying to give people a guilt complex about using freely provided wireless from Mcdonalds? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it was a family owned business or other worthy cause, I'd fully agree - but Mcdonalds??????? Heard it all now :lol: :lol:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
So it's OK to call at your place to use the WiFi and toilets is it?
Any chance of getting my auto box checked over for free while I'm there?

All I said was it's POLITE to buy something.

The kiwis who borrowed my bongo last year went in to a McD to use the wifi without buying anything, but just out of politeness asked if it was OK first.
The manager was quite happy about it and after about 20 mins brought them over a coffee each "on the house" to welcome them to Britain.

Politeness can pay dividends. :wink:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 pm

scanner wrote:
Alacrity wrote:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
So it's OK to call at your place to use the WiFi and toilets is it?
Any chance of getting my auto box checked over for free while I'm there?

All I said was it's POLITE to buy something.

The kiwis who borrowed my bongo last year went in to a McD to use the wifi without buying anything, but just out of politeness asked if it was OK first.
The manager was quite happy about it and after about 20 mins brought them over a coffee each "on the house" to welcome them to Britain.

Politeness can pay dividends. :wink:
You're welcome to Scanner :wink: If you really want your gearbox doing, too & if I'm physically able to at the time, that's not a problem either, never charged for anything I've done to help other bongoliers :D You'll have to get your own atf though.
Making that comparison though is just plain childish IMO, I am not a multinational junk food peddler, minimum wage slavemaster that ADVERTISES free wifi.
If I felt that I needed a coffe or I had that strange urge to actually eat something in a Mcdonalds then, I would, but I wouldn't do so to justify my use of their unconditionally provided free wifi.

Return to “Going Abroad”