european breakdown cover.

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

briwy
Supreme Being

Re: european breakdown cover.

Post by briwy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Just heard from the breakdown company.

As they turned up too late for us to catch our booked ferry from Le Havre they are paying ALL the cost of the tunnel. This was around £230 so I'm well impressed with this service.
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 pm

I have just tried to get a quote from quoteline direct and am interested in the auto vehicle search computer's assertion that date of manufacturer is 2010 even though my registration is P (import date I assume). Has this lowered the quote , and if I were to accept the price would I be omitting the truth?...Is it their fault or mine?...Hmmmmm! :^o
Hollis

Post by Hollis » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi

Clearly yours as you accept the statement of facts as being correct.

Derek
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Hollis wrote:Hi

Clearly yours as you accept the statement of facts as being correct.

Derek
Aye of course! Useless automatic system then ain't it? Ta !
BongoExplorer
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoExplorer » Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 am

Just trying to find the best breakdown cover for a 2 week trip to France.
Vehicle Rescue Direct looked a very good price (just over £30), but they have a height limit of 2m.
Quoteline Direct seem like the best option. Annual cover in UK (with 60 days in Europe) for £59. But an age limit of 16 years (for the vehicle, not the driver!).
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 am

We always used Europ Assistance, who I felt were very good.
bongobikers
Bongonaut

Post by bongobikers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Hunting round for cover for our trip (3 weeks) this summer. Unfortunately we fall foul of the 15yr old rule - ours will shortly be a fully fledged adult at 18.

On which note, has anyone heard of or used 2Gether Breakdown? They're quoting £102 for a single trip.
Earth without art is just Eh?
Freeminer
Bongonaut

Post by Freeminer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Just had a look on here: http://www.comparebreakdowncover.co.uk/ ... ults2.aspx
seem to be a fair bit cheaper than the others.
Don.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi, I have just got a year european cover from 2gether for £69...bargain!! Dave
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 pm

I bank with "Natwest" and have car breakdown as part of my account. I just called them for an upgrade for european travel and it is £67 for the year. My Bongo friendee is 12 this November so having read through the posts on here that seems a very competitive quote.

Does anyone have any experience of using Greenflag in France / Switzerland ???
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 pm

Just taken this policy out after looking through 8 different policies this was head and shoulders the best value for money on a like for like basis.

Greenflag just confirmed to me that they now cover vehicles up to 16 years of age up from the previous limit of 12. excellent news for some on here.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 pm

If going by Brittany Ferries I get my personal holiday insurance and breakdown cover with them, just under £100.00, one phonecall one bunch of documents (emailed). I haven't checked the levels of cover etc but assume it is par for the course. Worth a look, but as I say but I don't know exactly what I am getting for my money and how it compares with other deals etc.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 am

Well I have had to use 2gether recently. The thing to remember is that for £65 you don't get all bells and whistles but...very friendly, helpful, explained my limited options and definitely was money well spent. I had a choice of a hire car OR hotel for 7 days. Had accommodation so hired a car which would have set me back about £300. I was able to get the Bongo to the garage myself so recovery was not required.
I would also , next trip, take an extensive list of phone numbers for spare parts and get quotes for delivery to the places you are going as Bongo parts don't exist across the water. Dave
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:19 pm

We are members of camping and caravaning and have insurance and European Breakdown cover with them. The Breakdown cover was £65ish and has been invaluable. We broke down after doing 2000 miles around Europe this summer. The bongo is in the process of being repatriated to the UK as I type.

The assistance we had with them has been exceptional. Hotel cover, hire car, flights home and repatriation of the bongo :)

A link to everything they did for us here. The limit of what they'll pay out for everything is £3,000 but they don't cover the costs of repairs.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 0&start=15
I love cheese!
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 am

turbodave wrote:Well I have had to use 2gether recently. The thing to remember is that for £65 you don't get all bells and whistles but...very friendly, helpful, explained my limited options and definitely was money well spent. I had a choice of a hire car OR hotel for 7 days. Had accommodation so hired a car which would have set me back about £300. I was able to get the Bongo to the garage myself so recovery was not required.
I would also , next trip, take an extensive list of phone numbers for spare parts and get quotes for delivery to the places you are going as Bongo parts don't exist across the water. Dave
I so wish you had posted this before I left !!! they have done a make shift repair under my car although they only charged £150 it is still pretty worrying that a mazda dealer less than 6km from where my car got repaired could not supply any parts for this "Obsolete" vehicle 8) :roll: :roll: Their words not mine I hasten to add.....
All I needed was a damn replacement hose which the breakdown guy def had on his van cos I saw it, but cos he was so fat he could not get under our bongo despite him jacking it at least 3ft in the air !!! then he started ripping off my covers (which I did not know I had) So I checked all these were replaced when I collected the car.
All in all it was a monumental F**K up and they had no intention whatsoever of repairing my bongo. He even took us to a garage 40+km's from where we broke down which meant we were 80+km's from where we were staying.....

Return to “Going Abroad”