Think I have everything sorted...

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

borntobag

Think I have everything sorted...

Post by borntobag » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Off to Spain next week in the Bongo and think I have all the bases covered.
New rad, water pump, thermostat, all the hoses.....oh and a new cylinder head (LCA and Mason alarm now fitted)
New brake pads, engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, banjo filter cleaned, aircon recharged.
Good tyres, full size spare, all wheel changing tools present, tool kit.
Spare fuses, bulbs, coolant, engine oil, Dextron III, screen wash, alternator and aircon belts.
2 warning triangles, first aid kit, a Day-Glo jacket each. Head lamp beam benders and GB stickers.
Breakdown cover sorted and campsites and Aires in the SatNav and 2 additional road maps.
DVD players (with head phones) for the 3 sproggs, USB stick with 200 albums and cool box full of red bull for me and the longhaired general.
My route is Calais – Paris - Millau - turn right at the sea, then in to Spain for a few inches on the map.
Going to see how far we can get without busting a gut then camp or B&B it then carry on.

Have I forgotten anything?

Any advise welcome.
Cheers Rob
thegreenman
Bongonaut

Re: Think I have everything sorted...

Post by thegreenman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I thuink you've forgotten to relax and enjoy the trip. But I'm sure that will happen within hours of getting there :D
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 pm

borntobag wrote:
Have I forgotten anything?
Yep -

Driving license, passports, vehicle registration document, MOT certificate, insurance documents (showing that you're covered for driving in France and Spain), bacon, plenty of dosh.
Two tonne tin drum
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Sounds a great trip - very similar to one that we were planning for this Summer but had to postpone due to inconsiderate relatives holding their birthday parties in the middle of our proposed holiday :evil:

We did a similar trip 3 years ago. Just watch out for the wind in N E Spain - it gets blustery during the afternoons so beach visits are less fun. Maybe consider a wind break. We stayed near Roses and found a site that charged around 20 Euros a night - almost a third of the price of the bigger resort sites.

We returned via Olot and Andorra - great scenery and an interesting route, including Salvadore Dali's museum on route.

How long are you away for? We did the trip in 3 weeks, including 8 days with friends and family around France. Next time we would avoid the beaches in SW France - they were dire. Enjoy the via duct at Millau - go to the visitor centre and viewing point - it is amazing.

Cheers

M

Ps. Don't forget both parts of your driving licence and spare glasses if you use them for driving.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Got them, copied and scanned and emailed to myself, well all apart from the bacon, tried it but made a right mess of my scanner !
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm

borntobag wrote:Got them, copied and scanned and emailed to myself, well all apart from the bacon, tried it but made a right mess of my scanner !
You're doing it wrong. Leave it in the wrapper.

As well as emailing copies of documents to yourself, make a note of bank details (sort code, account number, number to dial in case of lost card), passport details etc.; encrypt the file, and pass it to someone you trust thoroughly with these details. If your vehicle gets broken into, bags stolen or whatever, a single phone call and you can have someone back in the UK cancelling your cards, arranging for funds to be sent out etc., leaving you to concentrate on other things. My brother was in this situation in Spain last year, and it would have been much less of a nightmare had he done so.
Two tonne tin drum
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Just remember to be aware of vehicle and distraction crimes - particularly around aires and Barcelona. Keep your doors locked when travelling and ensure that someone stays in the vehicle if you have to stop to deal with an issue such as punctures - some crimes have started with thieves puncturing a small hole into a tyre and then being ready on to offer help changing the tyre - while this is going on, valuables are removed from the vehicle by one of their mates. Barcelona has also be rife with pickpockets with Eastern European gangs making a good living from tourists to the city and area.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 pm

This list would make a great factsheet for new over sea travellers.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Matt&JoyBongling wrote:Just remember to be aware of vehicle and distraction crimes - particularly around aires and Barcelona. Keep your doors locked when travelling and ensure that someone stays in the vehicle if you have to stop to deal with an issue such as punctures - some crimes have started with thieves puncturing a small hole into a tyre and then being ready on to offer help changing the tyre - while this is going on, valuables are removed from the vehicle by one of their mates. Barcelona has also be rife with pickpockets with Eastern European gangs making a good living from tourists to the city and area.
That's exactly what happened to my brother, and it was in Barcelona! What surprised me most was that he has lived and worked in some of the most dangerous countries in the world, yet he still fell for this one. Could easily happen to anyone.
Two tonne tin drum
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:16 pm

dvisor wrote:
Matt&JoyBongling wrote:Just remember to be aware of vehicle and distraction crimes - particularly around aires and Barcelona. Keep your doors locked when travelling and ensure that someone stays in the vehicle if you have to stop to deal with an issue such as punctures - some crimes have started with thieves puncturing a small hole into a tyre and then being ready on to offer help changing the tyre - while this is going on, valuables are removed from the vehicle by one of their mates. Barcelona has also be rife with pickpockets with Eastern European gangs making a good living from tourists to the city and area.
That's exactly what happened to my brother, and it was in Barcelona! What surprised me most was that he has lived and worked in some of the most dangerous countries in the world, yet he still fell for this one. Could easily happen to anyone.
It is easy to be complacent in Spain - many things appear so laid back but many of the criminals aren't Spanish and they take advantage of the relaxed atmosphere. Many of those caught gassing those sleeping in motorhomes or their villas are also from countries such as Romania. I guess it makes a change from throwing a baby into your arms and then pick pocketing you as they fumble in their retrieval of their child; Fagin has a lot to learn from some of them!
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Don't forget to have a look at the Viaduct du Garabit when you get past Clermont Ferrand.

I must admit my favourite part of crossing the Millau Viaduct is going from the greener side of France (North) into the more browner side as you can tell which is the hotter part of the valley (And also because the Languedoc is where my Mum comes from so it's a 2nd home for me)

Larzac rest is a good place to stop for stocking up on sandwiches, crisps. drinks etc and the toilets are good as well. It is just by the airfield. The coffee and gateaus are also very good there. :D :D :D

The drive on the autoroute from just before Lodeve is stunning as well, as you start to almost plummet into L'Herault department. Gorgeous views.

When you have finished dropping down, open your window up and smell the air and listen to the cicadas - Then you will know you've hit the South of France.
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for some great tips guys.
Fingers crosses all runs well...cant wait
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm

A good tip for anyone heading away. Get a copy of your passport, just in case. For the sake of 10p copy it will save you hours of agony.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:39 pm

As far as I can work out, here's a concise list of fuses to add to your spares kit, which may be needed:

30A PAL type Female
40A PAL type Female
60A PAL type Female
10A Mini Bladed
15A Mini Bladed
20A Mini Bladed
30A Mini Bladed
60A Maxi Bladed (if you have a Willinton Kit)
Two tonne tin drum
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:44 pm

dvisor wrote:As far as I can work out, here's a concise list of fuses to add to your spares kit, which may be needed:

30A PAL type Female
40A PAL type Female
60A PAL type Female
10A Mini Bladed
15A Mini Bladed
20A Mini Bladed
30A Mini Bladed
60A Maxi Bladed (if you have a Willinton Kit) depends on the age of the willinton kit, newer ones use bolted in midi type fuses, also an idea to carry the relevant standard bladed fuses on the willinton kit & a 100amp bolted in PAL type main fuse - ain't going nowhere if that goes http://www.consumabulbs.com/files/bdet.php?id=620
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Going Abroad”