Bongo Cutting Out Cardiff Area

extraspark
Bongonaut

Bongo Cutting Out Cardiff Area

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 am

Hello all,

First of all my Bongo has been cutting out when my wife drives it reguarly. She has taken it to the garage several times in Caerphilly to see if they can sort this fault out. We asked about the glow plugs, they have said they were fine. Not sure what else it could be as I have read of people who have had similar problems and still not sorted the fault out. We have had issues with the hose pipe being cracked, and they have now been replaced.
It is worrying like I have said it cuts out on my wife and with the kids in the back. The bongo starts up fine.
When it cuts out it takes a few minutes for her to restart it.
I have just had my Bongo back from MOT and Service from the Caerphilly garage that people around here use. Unfortuantely it is still cutting out on my wife.
Does anybody know what it could be or help us sort this issue out as it is very frustrating and also very dangerous.
I am in the Cardiff Area.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Cutting Out Cardiff Area

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

Can you give any more details as to when or what is happening when it cuts out ? Is it during slowing down, normal driving, when its cold / hot ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 am

When it is cold, she says. Within a mile or two.

It cut out three times yesterday within a few 100 metres.
It first cut out a few hundred metres from the house, then another few hundred metres. It also cut out once on her return journey again a few hundred metres after the start of the journey.
It cuts out when she is slowing down at corners or, when she is braking to stop/slow down at junctions and lights.

She says she pushes the accelerator down to try to rescue it and nothing happens. She says sometimes she has put it in neutral at a redlight and pumped the accelerator to rescue it which has helped occassionally but that doesn't last and will cut out eventually on that journey.

It is a diesel and automatic one.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:55 am

I'm sure one or two of the diesel experts will be along soon but possible causes I've seen suggested are, Glow plugs, Idle solenoid see this thread here http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 6&p=458526 ,
found using this search http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... mit=Search
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for the info, I will look into these.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 pm

If it's happening when cold & ok when warm it would point towards the cold start vacuum solenoids to me, either broken or pipes perished. they should raise the revs at start up & if the ac kicks in.
If these are working it could be that they are trying to, but the fuel isn't quite getting through, ie fuel filter, banjo or the pick up strainer in the tank maybe? Could be fuel pump seals?
Is it ok once warmed up? does it go ok when you put you foot down or is there a bit of power lacking?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:23 pm

could it be air bubbles getting in the fuel via pump seals when cooling so it has to clear them ?
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for the info, once the car is warmed up it is fine. I will have a look at the banjo filter and look to see if pipes are perished around vacum solenoids.

missfixit70 wrote:If it's happening when cold & ok when warm it would point towards the cold start vacuum solenoids to me, either broken or pipes perished. they should raise the revs at start up & if the ac kicks in.
If these are working it could be that they are trying to, but the fuel isn't quite getting through, ie fuel filter, banjo or the pick up strainer in the tank maybe? Could be fuel pump seals?
Is it ok once warmed up? does it go ok when you put you foot down or is there a bit of power lacking?
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Just a quick question where is the banjo filter located, what does it look like and can i just clean it easily.

Thanks
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:17 pm

There's a fact sheet in the members area if you're a fully paid up club member (only £13 or so - bargain :D ). It's on the top front of the fuel pump where the fuel line goes in, 14mm banjo bolt jobby, make sure it's kept very clean if you do it, the filter isn't very big & quite fragile, usually firkled out with a cotton bud or similar. A search on the forum should reveal loads of threads.
Are the cold start solenoids working, & bringing the engine revs up? you should hear/feel the second one back clicking in with the ac & until the engine gets up to @55 degrees it should be operating, the front one operates up to @ 20 degrees.
Are the glow plugs definitely working? How did the garage check them? Are you just using sraight diesel or bio or veg oil? Is there any smoke, if so what colour?
Is the coolant level dropping at all? ie are you having to top it up?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Thanks for that
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi, thanks for all your advice.

Our bongo runs with straight diesel (from Tesco does it matter?). The Glow plugs were said to be fine as the car starts ok and that these would only be an issue if the bongo struggled to start via the key. I am no expert so I don;t know how they tested it.

I think that we could clean the banjo filter ok but cannot fix all the other problems such as engine revs and cold start solenoid as I don't have any expertise. Can anybody recommend a place or individuals in south wales as we have been to A&S in Caerphilly and they had looked our bongo three times and no joy unfortunately?

I would love to join the bongo fury full member site once I know I dont have to give up with this problems and sell the bongo....so desparate as its been over a year now and getting worse.

missfixit70 wrote:There's a fact sheet in the members area if you're a fully paid up club member (only £13 or so - bargain :D ). It's on the top front of the fuel pump where the fuel line goes in, 14mm banjo bolt jobby, make sure it's kept very clean if you do it, the filter isn't very big & quite fragile, usually firkled out with a cotton bud or similar. A search on the forum should reveal loads of threads.
Are the cold start solenoids working, & bringing the engine revs up? you should hear/feel the second one back clicking in with the ac & until the engine gets up to @55 degrees it should e operating, the front one operates up to @ 20 degrees.
Are the glow plugs definitely working? How did the garage check them? Are you just using sraight diesel or bio or veg oil? Is there any smoke, if so what colour?
Is the coolant level dropping at all? ie are you having to top it up?
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Could the fuel tank breather be blocked?

Is there a hiss of pressure if you undo the fuel cap after a run?
Beyond A to B
extraspark
Bongonaut

Post by extraspark » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the blockage I will look into that.

Return to “Wales/Cymru”