Can we look at your Bongo?

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Can we look at your Bongo?

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi - we're in mid central belt and were wondering if there's anyone nearby with a rear or mid conversion that we could have a look at to see how they work out.

We've been to a couple of dealers but all they've been able to show us are full side conversions which we don't want.

We're two adults and two toddlers and are trying to find what the best layout for us would be, if anyone would be happy for us to look over their van we'd be really grateful. :?
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
buntytw26

Re: Can we look at your Bongo?

Post by buntytw26 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Probably too far away but we have a mid side conversion and find it fine and dandy. Plenty room for us (no kids) and can make a full width bed using the front seats and mid bench. We still have the remaining gull wing seat at the tea brut I just took it out and will put in a storage come seat/box in its place but not have it secured so we can remove it if needed.

I will try to send pics if you like?
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:18 pm

My advise to you is to get an unconverted AFT bongo with towbar a drive off awning or sided pop up gazeebo and a 5 x 3 trailer with lockable lid, then get a decent camping stove folding table etc and keep all your camping gear in the trailer so that you have maximum space in the van for day to day use then just hook up the trailer when you wanna camp and do your cooking either in the awning / gazeebo or in the sunshine

We have an end conversion in our van and tbh its wasted, the sink is great but all we use the gas burners for is boiling the kettle as i don't want my bongo stinking like a roadside burger van and bacon fat spitting all over, i have even considered taking the end conversion out and selling it

Regards, Pete .
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for the advice.

Would love to see pictures of the mid conversion. How comfortable is the bed? :?
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Here is a pic of the set up. The chairs look a bit lumpy and I'm not sure if we put the backs down too much?? Mmmmmm.

We liked the width from having the whole van but the contours of the chairs needed addressing. We originally used a thermarest with cushions in the gaps then 2" memory foam topper on that. We have advised by the woman from Highland Campervans to put wedges of cushion foam in the gaps (2" slopping to 1" or thereby) then a thermarest on top.

The other option for more comfort might be to use the big square jigsaw foam mats things that you would use on a shed/workshop floor sort of idea and make a strip of 3 or 4 then use the thermarest / inflatable mattress (still with the foam wedge in the gaps). Takes up next to no room and easy to pack up etc. This is what we are going to try at the end of the month when we go away again.

In the kitchen unit we have a sink with waste container underneath and a 2 ring hob with gas bottle underneath. To be honest, we didnt use either this last week away as we were in a nice site, cooked in the awning (Khyam Tourer to be highly recommended) and washed up at the facilities too. We have a water pump but had no intentions of using it either. From mem ory the unit is about 37" long and sits right at the back door. We have 2 electric sockets on the end near the sliding door. Access to the rear 12v socket is by the rear of the cupboard so we needed to open the cupboard door but that was not a problem at all. I also used a 12v extension plus we have an inverter thing so that 12v appliances can work on mains electric.

I will try to get better pics tonight but I am at work just now so limited as to what I can do.

The gull wing seat has no been removed so ig nore it in the picture

Will get back to you.

Return to “Scotland”