Going abroad with ONLY the bongo - no trailer etc

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

feeblecat
Bongolier

Going abroad with ONLY the bongo - no trailer etc

Post by feeblecat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Is it possible? Having found out this year the true joys of touring (staying a couple of days each time and moving on when the notion takes) and finding out what a faff it is to set up and pack up each time, I would like to go for my 3 weeks next year without pop-up tent, trailer etc etc. We use the tent for sitting in at night and for storing the suitcases, chairs, bbq's, food crate etc. I'm finding it difficult to imagine the practicalities of going abroad (2 adults and 1 dog) without the extra space the tent and trailer provide. Experiences and tips please.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Re: Going abroad with ONLY the bongo - no trailer etc

Post by dvisor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes, it certainly is possible we managed 3 weeks in Europe this year with no trailer or roofbox or backbox. 2 adults and 2 children, and had room to spare. Even found we took a couple of items we didn't need. During that time we stayed at 14 campsites and was able to pack down very quickly.
Two tonne tin drum
dorsetdave
Bongonaut

Post by dorsetdave » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree it is posable with no trailer, you have to be just a tad economical on what you take, we take a smallpop up tent and during the night store any bits and bobs you dont need in there, also if you are on a site for a couple of days, it is great to again store items in, so you have the Bongo nearly empty, it also acts as pitch marker!

And when not in use folds flat and can be stored in the roof.

We have a pull out awning with the wind shield sides, they do not look much but very efective.
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm

We limit ourselves to one small bag of clothes each and we only take a small amount of emergency food, buying from local supermarkets each day or every other day. Chairs and tables were carefully chosen to pack compactly. Like DorsetDave, we move some of the stuff into the popup tent when we arrive on site, but we have, on occasions all slept in the van without having to move the stuff outside. I've found the best method for us is to keep both bench seats facing forward and stowing 2 sleeping bags and 4 clothes bags on the rear seat, along with pillows, a couple of blankets, a bag of raincoats, 4 washbags and 8 microfiber towels. We can also fit a box containing some kitchen gear on the seat without the height rising above the back of the seat (so still good visibility out the rear). A CampingGaz 907 bottle, 2 sleeping bags, a quechua base seconds tent (stowed upright) and a bag of hookup cable etc fits in the gap between the rear bench and middle bench (which are both pushed back as far as possible). Shoe bags and a couple of safes go under the middle bench, and a couple of tables under the rear bench (still plenty of room to spare there). Behind the rear bench we have a plywood platform. Under the platform goes a tent peg bag, 2 folding chairs, a stove, 12 gas cartridges, and a 10L water bottle (again there's room to spare). On top of the platform goes a Waeco 25L compressor fridge, a Cadac safari chef, a box containing 5 LED lights, fire extinguisher, tyre weld etc, a box containing cooking equipment, a smallish food bag (actually a cool bag), and a portable stove. 2 Warning triangles and an Easi-Canopi get stored between the middle bench and the offside wall. First aid kit and other bits and pieces go in the top cupboards, and a few smallish items go up in the roof. Maps, books and atlases go in a bag hanging behind the passenger seat. We can get to anything we need without having to turf other items out, such as when we pull over for a cup of tea. Our plans to get a dog is going to b***er up all this military precision though.
Two tonne tin drum
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm

We've toured for three years (just the two of us but no dog) and have done a lot of moving between sites, with minimal effort, including all over Ireland. Made a rule early on, if it won't go in the van, don't take it, and have gradually got it down to a fine art - think of living in a small boat cabin for weeks on end, and that's about it.

Really worth the effort, anyway, as it's so much easier to quickly set up and break camp - and I would even try to avoid the pop up tent route if you can. Who wants to have a wet tent in the roof, or anywhere else in the van? One fantastic add-on, we've recently added to our kit (easy to make the space available) is a 12 litre bowl halogen oven. With that on hook-up, and the two-burner hob off hook-up, we would have no hesitation in long touring stints anywhere in the world.

(If anybody might want to buy a Sunncamp Auton Awning, bought new in 2009 but therefore never used, PM me.)
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 am

We are going, 2 0f us and 2 dogs this year. I have the Easycamp awning but would not put it up for less than a four day stop.

On shorter stops we just put a tarp up tied to the lugs on the roof and using the porch poles and guys from the easycamp awning. Looks dead Ray Mears cool too! I jam one corner in the passenger door too.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
brookie
Bongonaut

Post by brookie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 am

Hi again feeblecat!,

Anything is possible, it's the planning that counts. just utilize every nook and cranny, underseats etc. As stated before, only take the things you will use. Any doubts, leave it a home.

Regards,

Mark.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 am

brookie wrote:Hi again feeblecat!,

Anything is possible, it's the planning that counts. just utilize every nook and cranny, underseats etc. As stated before, only take the things you will use. Any doubts, leave it a home.

Regards,

Mark.
We used to do SW France every year with two kids and a pyramid ridge tent in an Austin Maestro. And fit in a dozen bottles of wine on the way back!

Once the kids demanded legroom we used a 10' trailer and then we took all our patio furniture and all sorts of stuff!
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:05 am

We don't take a trailer out of UK. manage to limit kit to essentials. But what is a real boon is a rollout awning - I would say essential. We also have a rain guard that goes between the casset and the Bongo and carry part of a fabric gazebo side which is used for wind protection and with the rain guard lives in the AFT when we are travelling. We reckon that it takes about 10 minutes to set up camp and have a bottle of wine on the table, and about half an hour or so to break camp.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am

Ron Miel wrote:>
>
Really worth the effort, anyway, as it's so much easier to quickly set up and break camp.....
>
>
For day trips off-site, we can clear up and go in about 10 minutes max - less, if we leave the bed down. Just leave a "Motorcaravan using this pitch" sign, the hook up cable (unplugged - both ends!), and perhaps our folding chairs, as the pitch markers, and we're off. Never any problems with the pitch.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am

Ron Miel wrote:
Ron Miel wrote:>
>
Really worth the effort, anyway, as it's so much easier to quickly set up and break camp.....
>
>
For day trips off-site, we can clear up and go in about 10 minutes max - less, if we leave the bed down. Just leave a "Motorcaravan using this pitch" sign, the hook up cable (unplugged - both ends!), and perhaps our folding chairs, as the pitch markers, and we're off. Never any problems with the pitch.
If we had an early start we used to sleep in one of the kids pup tents on the last night and they had to share for one night.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

If your Bongo is unconverted with the spit rear seat, I would recommend a small trailer.
Stick it in the back to save chunnel or ferry costs. For the 1.5 hours discomfort (on the ferry/train) and twenty mins loading and unloading, the extra storage is brilliant.

PM me if you want to know more.
ian G
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks for your replies. I am going to take a chance and be totally ruthless next year to try it out. This is the first year we have found packing and unpacking a pain, probably because we moved about so much on a whim. My current plan for next year (and it can change from day to day) is to do the Canal du Midi, perhaps 3 campsites along the route for 5 or so day each with a couple of stops on the way down and back up. I don't want to lug about the stuff we did this year. Means radically cutting back on the clothes and shoes and taking EITHER the cadac or BBQ, amongst other cutbacks. One thing, our chairs are Lafuma chairs so not the smallest. Can anyone recommend a decent folding chair (our last ones were basic supermarket ones and not very comfy).
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:47 am

What about removing the back seats as well?
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:50 am

Hi, our bongo is a side conversion so not able to remove anything.i

Return to “Going Abroad”